Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Really nice!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:22 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Wait till I actually set the thing up- the CRT needs to be degaussed, and I haven't converged it yet either. Oddly I seem to have stumbled across a set of screen pot settings that were correct when the I channel was still dead, guess it was just dumb luck. Anyhow, this set will have to get put on the back burner again temporarily. I have a power point presentation to get ready for the ETF meet, and the proto chassis is being shipped to Hilliard this week.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Dah-Yum, Me Olde Sonne, I dunno if I'd wanna let that prototype outta me Sight, much less trust it to the Tender Mercies of the Shipping Company goons...Just sayin'...
Old 03-18-2012, 01:07 PM

It will be properly insured, believe me.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:12 AM

Mmkay, back to the CT-100.

Today marks the third round of alignment attempts with this set, but my tenacity has finally paid off. This chassis has the most complicated IF section of any I've ever come across, having 7 total amplifier stages versus the typical 3 or 4 of a more 'evolved' set. Most people say it only has 6, but they are missing the true 1st stage which is built into the tuner. If we're only talking chassis IF stages, then 6 is technically correct.

Anyhow, you'll recall that I messed up the alignment when I first got it. Before I got the 415 my thought was to just run it as a monitor by installing a composite preamplifier, since I didn't think I'd ever be skilled enough to align a set this complex, but that darn 415 is a TV service persons wonder tool. First thing I tried to do was just see if I could look at the response curve, and make adjustments to all the slugs to make it right. Big mistake. I ended up farther off than when I started. After all normal attempts failed, including following the instructions in Sams, I resorted to the B&K manual.

In the B&K manual, it makes reference to a function called 'modulated markers'. This is used when one would like to tune a single coil or trap, such as the sound trap and so forth. What I found was that I could tune every coil in the strip one by one by using the individual markers, peaking and trapping as needed. Here's how it works: you inject the signal from the 415 at the osc injection point on the tuner, to bypass fine tuning and go directly into the strip. Then you activate one marker at a time, and basically target coils till they peak or detune as required. Example- the sound trap needs to have minimum passage at 41.25, so you turn on that marker and adjust till it nulls the signal as much as possible (the signal is a 400hz modulation that shows on the scope as a sine wave). On others you want to see maximum response, such as 42.67 and so forth. Once I had gone through all the coils twice and was satisfied I had done it correctly, I went back and looked at the overall curve and it was much improved! It was good enough that I could get back to tweaking the overall response in the normal fashion, and eventually ended up at a point where I thought it might work pretty well. The curve now closely matched what I saw in other sets, so I stuck the chassis back into the cabinet. I was again disappointed.

Now I'm beginning to think that the composite input option is looking pretty good, but I noticed that the AGC pot had almost no effect on signal strength. I had on screen what looked like classic signs of AGC trouble, such as washed out picture and terrible sync horizontally. I had initially written this off as being related to the bad IF alignment, but since I was now convinced I had the curve correct, I had to start thinking of other faults. First thought is a bad AGC pot, but dismissed that since it actually did something (not much though). Then it dawns on me- I have a tube tester, let's check the tube!

Sure as sh!t, the triode section of the 6AN8 which does duty as the AGC amp was completely dead! Wouldn't even budge the needle off the bad stop, I double checked against a new one. So in the new tube went, and viola the set sprang to life! I was now able to get respectable color bars through the antenna terminals, so I decided to hook up cable and here's what I saw:

Now I'm getting stoked! It's actually receiving signals and displaying color pretty well at this point, so the next steps are lowering horizontal drive just a tad, fixing the focus range so it's sharp, and a complete convergence setup. Right now blue is a little high in the top of the screen, but the rest seems more or less in line. I think I'll follow the procedure for convergence in Sams first, hopefully it will work and I'll be able to show some really nice pics at next update!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP5224.jpg (51.9 KB, 172 views)
Old 03-25-2012, 12:31 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

It looks good!

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-25-2012, 09:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

All I can say is, "Amazing!"
Old 03-25-2012, 10:19 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Great progress - keep at it!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nick, reading your last post, and seeing the pic made me smile. Super progress! Thanks for the update!!
Kevin
Old 03-25-2012, 04:13 PM
M is for Memory

Shoot, if you keep getting better at alignment I may have to bring my CTC4 chassis back down to you and let you have at it.

Nice job on that alignment BTW!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 03-25-2012, 05:30 PM

No problem, the CTC-4 is a lot easier than this thing. Just stop by, I'll give it a once-over while you wait.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:29 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
No problem, the CTC-4 is a lot easier than this thing. Just stop by, I'll give it a once-over while you wait.
Sounds Great! I'll bring the old 4 down next time I'm out by you then.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-15-2012, 03:13 PM

Finally had a few hours to play with the CT-100 this weekend, so I converged it. By far, the easiest set ever! In less than 15 minutes I was watching baseball, so I'm putting it on the 'done' list.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP5244a.JPG (91.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP5242a.JPG (98.5 KB, 385 views)
Old 04-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Dah-Yum...That looks GREAT !
Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Excellent work, I am jealous.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma