Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-13-2004, 11:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Atwater Kent Model 30

I always make a quick run through a certain flea market on Tuesdays on my way to work. Today I picked up an Atwater Kent model 30, built in 1926. It's in pretty good shape cosmetically and has all the tubes in it. This is a TRF but with the 3 variable caps linked together with one tuning dial, a step away from the 3-dialers that were common at the time. It's going to be a while before I can get to this one; too many other projects ahead of it. My first A-K and just for $40.00!

Reece
Old 07-13-2004, 12:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

A few months ago I got an Atwater Kent 60 at an estate sale for around 40.00...have not got around to getting it working yet. The TRF sets seem to have as good of sensitivity as modern sets, and the sound quality is good....only drawback is lack of AGC makes you have to adjust the volume control constantly while tuning in stations, because if you make it sensitive enough to pick up a weak station by turning up the volume and you tune to a strong station, the strong station is awfully loud.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Right on that lack of AVC action; I've been playing with my Radiola III two-tube regenerative set (1924) which I finally got going over this past weekend, and the DX signals fade in and out with the skip...it's really a trip, just like the old days. More on that later.

Reece
Old 07-13-2004, 08:39 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, but ain't it a hoot getting these old crocks running again?!? I can't afford a car from the early days of motoring-say 1898-till about WW1, but you still can relatively easy get a set from the dawn of broadcasting.-and most of the time, make 'em work, too.-Sandy G.