Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Gizmo Nut

CTC 17 is home

This was the tv that was on Craiglists. Took 4 strong people to get this out of the basement it was in. Set is a 1 home for life tv. Obviously it has seen water. But I did a light bulb variac and it came to life. I need to test the CRT before I go any further. Was busy working on my 1949 Farmall Tractor today so did not get much time with the tv. At least it is here at home where I can start tinkering with it. I made an Iphone video and you can view it here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7NDSmXwIOo
Old 04-02-2011, 04:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a CTC-17 combo, different cab but same TT/radio/tv.

Makes a great pic, the only issue I had on mine IIRC was it needed a HOT. the color was flakey, turned out to be a corroded wire on the top of the pcb on the chroma board. check for this as I think its a common failure mode. Its just a jumper wire that runs on the top, think it feeds the color output tubes plate voltage.

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread...09#post2993409

I started getting into it at around post#27 if you care to check into it.

Last edited by DaveWM; 04-02-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Gizmo Nut

Thanks Dave, I remember reading your adventure in that set. Now I have one. I did turn the radio on and WOW! It has great sound! I will probably be asking you questions as I get into this thing. Thanks for the tip on the corroded wire.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mine looks kinda like that, just different speaker grills.

I will probably need, most of the electrolytic caps, recommend changing all the orange drops on the sync/vert board, new color crystal, most of the caps in the amp.
Checking and obtaining low cathode current is a must on this chassis. There are several wires that corrode most are near the vert out transformer. Just be careful because its easy to ruin the transformer. If its not broken or causing issues I would leave it alone.

It will produce a great picture when you get it dialed in, a great save