Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

My two insignia boxes are top notch. Make sure you change the audio to MONO for our old TV's or the volume level will be low. Once you select "cropped" mode all wide screen shows are full screen. Looks good on roundies!!

-
Matt Davala
Old 03-23-2008, 04:16 AM
Tooluser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBubba View Post
I asked for coupons so long ago I forget where I did it. How do you find out about your status?
https://www.dtv2009.gov/CheckStatus.aspx

it said mine were mailed already, we'll see if it speaks with forked tongue...

btw it's NOT coming first class mail....

Nothing is ever completely fool proof, because fools are so ingenious.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:39 AM
hposter

Zenith HD converter Box

Still love the box!

Was trying to watch a local HD broadcast through the box, on a normal format LCD TV. The picture was too thin and too long! So I hit Zoom on the Zenith, and the message said, ' Format set by Program', and it wouldn't give me a nice nearly-square image (4:3).

However, went back to the station, and realized that if you hit Zoom several times, then it does over-ride the Program Format Setting, and it does Crop & fill in my screen type....gotta love those electronic thingamabobs!

Last edited by hposter; 03-25-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Goofed!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Ex-Philco

I found the RCA box performance to be a much poorer than the Zenith. Using same antenna and TV, RCA got 2 stations, Zenith 5. The Zenith comes with more cables for the extra $10.00.

The Zenith can select the various picture aspect ratios, by channel or program. It can always fill a 3:4 screen with no distortion.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:19 PM
hposter

My In-the-attic antenna w/Zenith DTT900

I just spotted the questions after my first posting on the Zenith box.

About 6 years ago, I bought a medium price Radio Shack antenna (about $80) and I put a twin-lead to coax downlead (long before HDTV was imminent). I ran coax through the walls, and to the livingroom TV, and then to the little Office LCD TV. The antenna has 4 larger pairs of bars, and 8 smaller pairs of bars--if that helps. Oh, and looking at the photos online, I might have it pointing Away from the signal...hmmm...I guess I'll have to find the directions

On the old analog signal, I used an Archer 10db amp, and aimed it due East to Manhattan (I'm about 15-20 miles from the transmitters).

I could get Channel 2 poorly, and about 6 or 8 other channels..well.

With the new Zenith HD box, I disconnected the amplifier, and still get about 30 or 40 channels (some are sub-channels of course), and all seem to be excellent reception.
Audiokarma
Old 03-26-2008, 01:02 AM
DTV blows

I picked up a Magnavox TB100MW9 at Wal-Mart last night for $50. There was a stack of 14 of 'em sitting there, with no other brands available.

I've got a small RatShack TV-FM combo up on a 25 foot mast, with a rotator and inline amplifier. I connected the converter with RCA patchcords to my Sanyo VCR, using the VCR as an RF modulator, because this setup will enable me to videotape converted DTV programming.

For NTSC programming, I was able to pick up a maximum of 13 channels, with only six or seven of them able to be classed as "average" or better. Most of the others were always ghosting, or snowy to some degree. Some were consistently downright awful.

With the converter, I can pick up 16 DTV channels (including subchannels) with no effort at all, and all look great. I don't even have to spin the antenna around! There is one CW channel I really wanted to get that's about 40 miles away because of religious programs on Sunday, but their DTV channel is a no-show. Their analog signal was rarely better than fair in the past, and I'm sure it's because of signal loss due to the hilly and heavily-treed terrain between the transmitter and my antenna. Living in a valley is also an issue.

So overall, I'm content. Not thrilled, but content. To thrill me, the box would pass the analog signals through with the power off. It doesn't.

Tom
Old 03-26-2008, 10:56 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I also noticed how much better a signal I get with digital... We normally get a snowy NBC station from Los Angeles, and a snowy KTLA, and a snowy ABC from Santa Barbara. But with digital, I can get about 30 channels!

Charles
Old 03-26-2008, 07:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wish that I could get extra DTV channels around here. So far only PBS has actually used the subchannels. The only other subchannel used is for continuous weather. Otherwise it is the same as the analog broadcast channels.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

In NJ we have a Jesuscaster on channel 29, with about 10 SDTV subchannels...
Old 03-26-2008, 10:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

In our area, WTOK has 3 total channels: ABC, FOX, and CW. There are 3 PBS channels from WMAW. There are no subchannels on the WMDN (CBS) or WGBC (NBC). There is one analog channel 47 that broadcast Christian programming. I don't know the call letters or where the transmitter is located. I have not found a digital channel for them. Maybe they are a low power station that will remain analog, will go digital later on, or stop broadcasting when the anaolg cutoff date arrives.
Audiokarma
Old 03-26-2008, 11:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thumbs up

Picked up 2 Magnavox boxes last week and they perform great. I live just S.E. of Muskegon Mi. and I was really surprised to see the CBS affiliate HD signal. Their analog is on 3, with all the noise you'd expect from a lowband channel 50 or more miles away(north of Kalamazoo). Their HD is on 2 with 6.8kw and I thought I would not see it but there it was, hovering around 50 on the signal meter and a perfect picture. They have the CW on a subchannel. I have a big V/U antenna with a pole mounted amp about 35 feet up and the NBC, ABC, Fox, PBS, local god squad and even a god squad out of Kalamazoo are all there. When the weather warms up I'll get a couple branches out of the way so I can do some rotating and see what else shows up.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:09 PM
AK Subscriber

Just finished with the set up on the Zenith from CCity , pleased with the performance so far . 13 channels in my market , did have to set each channels aspect ratios for best picture . Using a simple set of Rabbit ears .
Wmart was $10.00 cheaper with the Magnavox ......

Are we going to have to claim the rebate on our TAXES next year ????

Was this needed for better TV or to sell band width to cell phones ?

Barney
HK 2500,CD191
Sony CDP players 23,191
Marantz 6300 Harmon Kardon T 20 Grado RS-III, 3E+
AR's Advents BA's Marantz Polk Tony Gallo....:music:

Last edited by Oerets; 03-29-2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Edits
Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Tooluser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Are we going to have to claim the rebate on our TAXES next year ????
Technically it is a "taking" since our Analog TV's are loosing value / functionality.

If they didn't have the rebate program, it is strongly debatable that each individual affected could sue for damages under constitutional grounds.

By having the program, then it's your fault for not taking advantage....

And it's NOT income, it is compensation for a loss. Thus no taxes...

Did you see how MUCH money they made auctioning off the rights to use those frequency bands??? A BUNDLE...

Nothing is ever completely fool proof, because fools are so ingenious.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:29 PM
VK Member

Magnavox - Joliet, IL

My coupons arrived yesterday, and before picking up dinner, I scurried down to the local Wal-Mall to pick up a Magnavox. I figured I'd start off with a cheap box, as previous attempts at DTV reception here (USB HDTV tuner stick) were less than dismal. According to coverage maps, this area is supposed to be 'in a hole' as it were for DTV reception.

Got it home and set it up on the 1965 Admiral in the living room, and plugged a set of VHF/UHF rabbit ears into it. Setup was pretty simple - there is a choice for output type, daylight savings time, and aspect ratio. Once setup is finshed, the autoscan feature can be used to populate the channel list.

I was able to receive the local Fox station (WFLD 32) solidly with about a 25/100 signal strength as registered by the internal signal meter. Other stations were pixelated or non-existent until I moved the antenna off of the top of the box. It's currently on top of a radio in front of the living room window pointed in the general direction of the Sears Tower and Hancock Building.

I can now receive NBC (WMAQ 5), WGN 9, WTTW 11, WYCC 20, WCIU 26 (and their 2 subchannels, ME-TV and Me Too), and WPWR 50 with this setup. One thing that struck me was the picture clarity. I've lived in the Chicagoland area all of my life and have had many TVs with indoor antennas. I've never been able to get a picture that I would classify as 'great' - even the satellite receiver which normally feeds this set produces a picture that I would call average (compression artifacts, etc). But the digital OTA signal is razor-sharp, without any compression artifacts.

I'll probably wait a while on the second box, as I see what models and features are out there, but this one seems to work pretty well for the $10 price tag.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmuri View Post
Complaints:

My Digitalstream makes a high-pitched whistle when powered off. It's subtle but you can't sleep in a silent room with it plugged in. Anybody else notice this?
I was playing with an audio-spectrum analyzer and took a couple of readings of the whistle. It's a near-perfect sine wave at 10.360 kHz:

Here's a comparison of it vs the 15.750 Horizontal Oscillator whine that some people here can hear (and tell that their HO is working):

It's almost as loud as the Horiz Osc in my '64 Zenith console, but at a lower pitch. It's annoying enough that I wouldn't want it plugged in all the time.

Just FYI. I was playing with the analyzer for another reason (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...03#post1792603) so while I had it going I thought I'd satisfy my own curiosity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DigitalStream Squeal vs TV Horiz Osc.jpg (22.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Digitalstream zoom in to 10.360 kHz.jpg (22.7 KB, 60 views)
Audiokarma