Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Followin' the Rules...

This "fad" has been brought on by them evil "American Pickers"

In 2007,I saw a used lighted outdoor Philips-ECG sign sell at a live auction for $420, plus the premium. The buyer was a dealer - I let him know that it a) wasn't old, and b) where to find two more for free - he would have to take them down is all. His response was "Sorry you lost the bid." I let him know I wasn't bidding and that he just lost out on the free signs. He went on to tell me that he knew "Philips wasn't in business anymore." I walked away...

The sign took a round on fleabay at 800 bucks in 2008, with no sale. Dummy never even cleaned out the dead bugs inside.

I tell ya, it's them evil "Pickers"
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
This "fad" has been brought on by them evil "American Pickers"

In 2007,I saw a used lighted outdoor Philips-ECG sign sell at a live auction for $420, plus the premium. The buyer was a dealer - I let him know that it a) wasn't old, and b) where to find two more for free - he would have to take them down is all. His response was "Sorry you lost the bid." I let him know I wasn't bidding and that he just lost out on the free signs. He went on to tell me that he knew "Philips wasn't in business anymore." I walked away...

The sign took a round on fleabay at 800 bucks in 2008, with no sale. Dummy never even cleaned out the dead bugs inside.

I tell ya, it's them evil "Pickers"

The wealth of ignorance out there when it comes to antiques and collectables is staggering.
I went to an estate sale several months back where there was the top half of a philco predicta tandem,just the screen part and the lens had a small hairline crack in the top corner.
I figured I would ask how much it was anyway and was told $1000 and that it was worth about $1,500 on eBay "we checked" and if I came back on Sunday it would be half price!
Who knows maybe that auction guy bought that too!

Heck right now on eBay there's a guy with a "vintage" 1988 Goldstar tv for $250! Guess we better start saving all those too! If we can get them for $10 each in thrift stores and flip them for big bucks on eBay we can all retire early and buy yachts!

Last edited by GeorgeJetson; 02-02-2011 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:26 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJetson View Post
Heck right now on eBay there's a guy with a "vintage" 1988 Goldstar tv for $250! Guess we better start saving all those too! If we can get them for $10 each in thrift stores and flip them for big bucks on eBay we can all retire early and buy yachts!

NOW WE'RE TALKIN!
Old 02-02-2011, 01:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

No, no, no! Forget saving the BPC TV sets. You need to concentrate on Sam's Photofacts!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sams-Photofact-M...item3cb4cc5836

I swear, the ignorance does not go down over time. It just gets worse.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
No, no, no! Forget saving the BPC TV sets. You need to concentrate on Sam's Photofacts!

And that's not even the whole photofact set. Let's see now I have about 4500 complete sets. If I seperate them and get a couple hundred for each folder. Retirement hee I come again.
Audiokarma
Old 02-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Followin' the Rules...

I wonder what the original Panasonic TR-005 manual would get? It's rarer than that Sams! I've got one, with the uber-rare 1970's coffee stain on it.....

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

I don't get it. If you look at his other items most are Photofacts. They're maybe a bit high, but reasonable considering that they include shipping. But he has quite a number of them listed at the outrageous $200 also. Most of which are the TR-005 Photofact which makes one question their rarity.

John
Old 02-02-2011, 10:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

What I wonder is what happens to all this stuff these crack addicts cannot sell for big bucks. Do they pitch it? Once at a car show these guys selling parts and odd ball stuff would say things like " I'll smash it right here before I sell it for that much." After giving them a reasonable offer. Not sure if they were all hot air or not. They looked like the would do it tho.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:51 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

They were just trying to pressure you into buying it, oldest trick in the book. If they actually did it, it would be their loss...
Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've had several people tell me that they'd bust something up and/or throw it in the dump before they took my offer. I calmly tell them that it's their item and to do whatever they want with it.

And, I've told a few people the same thing. About 10 years ago, I had a BPC 19" Quasar color TV that, for some reason, no one wanted to buy. This was during a time when a 19" color TV was worth $50-$75. After I reduced the Quasar down to $25 and someone still lowballed me, I told them I'd throw it in the dump first. And, that's what eventually happened. I got tired of looking at it, I was cleaning out the shop, and that TV went right on the discard pile.
Audiokarma
Old 02-03-2011, 12:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

I saw an ad in the newspaper for old postcards. The guy's sister died, he was selling off her stuff.
I go to his house, asked to see the postcards. He hands them to me, I go through them and spot one that is worth $450 alone. I asked how much he wanted, he said $30 for all of them.
I only had $15 on me, I told him I would be right back.
I return 30 minutes later, he said he sold them to the lady who showed up after I left for $30.
I was mad, he was old, I told him he was stupid, the postcards had a mininum value of $1000, his sister is turning over in his grave. His mouth dropped open and his face turned white. I asked him if he wanted more money for the postcards, he said, I don't have them.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

Wow! That's obscene!
I do like that Panasonic tv though!,it's one of the few newer sets I would actually want.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:50 AM
sampson159

we have a "picker" that advertises here on craigslist.i place an ad a few times a year for 60-70s televisions.i always get flagged.the "picker"is looking for 30-50s items.i called them.talked with the wife.seemed nice enough.gave them a lead on a unit i didnt want.owner was asking 30.00.they went to get it.the owner asked for an offer.they paid him 200.00.he was told it was worth 4-500 and they want to double their money.his good fortune.they called me and wanted it serviced.they took it home,plugged it in and it started smoking.they have been in business for over 3 months now.she rambled about some of the items they had picked up.gas powered refrigerator,(250.00),pop machine,doesnt work(400.00),philco radio,(i looked it over myself and passed on it.200.00),etc.i think they will go broke before they become successful.too many shows with inflated values. i hope they make it.they seem to be hard working,decent folks.just caught up in the latest craze.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

reminds me of a guy at hamvention.had a very big,heavy,dead battery filled ups.like about 500 lbs worth.i made him an offer on it.his marked price was something of a crackheads dream.
he goes into a long tirade about how he would haul it back to california first.he got so wound up in this he forgot that me and several others had items in hand ready to pay for them.
later that day(sunday) he packed up and left the ups and several other items that he would have sold if he had checked his attitude at the hara arena gate!i got them free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhallone View Post
What I wonder is what happens to all this stuff these crack addicts cannot sell for big bucks. Do they pitch it? Once at a car show these guys selling parts and odd ball stuff would say things like " I'll smash it right here before I sell it for that much." After giving them a reasonable offer. Not sure if they were all hot air or not. They looked like the would do it tho.