Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, I would enjoy having a C-body wagon! Almost impossible to find a clean survivor today.

Here's a few more C-body photos. The Chicago Police department always used Mopars too. Here's a few Dodge Polara examples in order; '71, '72, and '73. They of course wouldn't be complete without the Motorola Motran UHF transceivers!

Last edited by drh4683; 04-07-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmoody View Post
Doug is keeping an eye out for a C-Body wagon.. Now that would be a great find.. Practical for rescuing Zenith Televisions as well!
I bought a '71 Plymouth Custom Surburban, new in August 1971. It had most of the options except power seats and windows. It just wasn't one of their better efforts. All kinds of pesky little problems, I managed to repair myself. Wasn't a practical car, for mostly city driving, as it had a 383 big block. I drove it for six years and 80K miles and it went to the junk yard. It shot a timing chain and was vandlized, where it was parked.
I replaced it with a base model '74 Plymouth Satellite wagon with 30K miles. That car was totally different! Very little went wrong with it in the 95K miles I put on it myself.
I still have two Mopars, so it didn't sour me too bad.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have the Motran UHF transceiver from '69.. Just need the Polara to go around it.. LOL!
Old 04-07-2015, 03:42 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Gotta love the Mars Skybolt light bars (and the Federal Signal model 11s used in Walking Tall). I really like those with the two-color vertically-striped beacon lenses.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I really like the 1969-73 C-Bodies. Among them. the 1970 Sport Fury GT coupe would be my favorite model but I'd be happy with a Sport Fury hardtop coupe or hardtop sedan! The first V8-powered car I ever started when I was a kid was my aunt's 1973 Fury III hardtop coupe. I never owned one but a few years ago, I drove a friend's low mileage (I think it had 14,000 miles!) 1972 Fury III 4 door hardtop for over an hour.

I'd also like a 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst.

As for NewYorkers/Newports, I'm a big fan of the 1974-78 models with the full width taillamps.

Here's the 1972 Fury III that my friend had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1090533LL.jpg (120.2 KB, 25 views)
Audiokarma
Old 04-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Who could forget the famous Bluesmobile? Just before it came the police cars from CHiPs which were virtually identical, the main difference being their Federal Signal TwinSonic light bars.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Wonder how many Bluesmobiles got eaten up for the movie ?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Thirteen I believe.

That Chicago PD cruiser's Mars light getting smashed by the Bluesmobile's rear wheel was no accident. The stunt driver was bribed into trying to do it.

Last edited by Jon A.; 04-08-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

1974 though and the next generation body style.

Had a 1970 Fury III 2 dr. htp, and 1972 and 73 Polara 4 door htps. I think the 69's looked the cleanest, Plymouth, Dodge, or Chrysler. I think the 69 Monaco 2 door htp. is my favorite.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Wonder how many Bluesmobiles got eaten up for the movie ?
I had to look it up.....

Turns out the blues brothers 1980 movie had a relatively low body count
on the dead car movie list.....

http://www.carthrottle.com/post/top-...the-most-cars/

103 old 1974 or so Dodge Monaco's for the original.....

"" 103 cars were wrecked during filming, a world record at that time. This feat was exceeded two years later, when 150 cars (and a plane) were crashed for H.B. Halicki's The Junkman (1982). That record in turn held for two decades, until over 300 cars were wrecked during the filming of The Matrix Reloaded ""

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080455/trivia

"" CBS/Landov

Over seven seasons, the General Lee went airborne more than 150 times. Although it seemed fine on screen, the General rarely survived a jump. Warner Brothers totaled an average of two Chargers per episode. By the time filming ended, an estimated 300 Chargers had starred as the General Lee. What happened to all those cars?

WB salvaged the most beat-up vehicles. Mechanics saved the doors, the rebel-flagged roof, and engine parts, which were cannibalized by future Generals. The car’s wrecked remains were then sent to a junkyard crusher, where it was crumpled beyond recognition. An estimated 75 to 220 Chargers went to the car yard in the sky this way.

Chargers that weren’t as badly damaged often became props, called “bucks.” Mechanics rebuilt and repainted the battle-scarred autos, which reappeared as town or chase cars. By the end of each season, these Chargers also retired to a car graveyard.

When Dukes' Nielsen ratings sunk in 1986, CBS pulled the show. Warner Brothers abandoned 18 General Lees at the set, and the cars gathered dust for five years. In 1991, WB sold 17 of those cars to private owners.""

http://mentalfloss.com/article/30999...-dukes-hazzard

Old 06-05-2015, 05:25 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I'm pretty sure I saw this hatchet-job recently with new paint. The pictures are from a provincial Kijiji ad so chances are it's the same one. I passed by it fairly quickly and thought it was a Superbird, which I don't know much about. I did a little digging after I noticed a 1971 Fury III rear bumper.

http://www.ridelust.com/superbird-gone-wrong/
Old 06-05-2015, 11:33 PM
M is for Memory

There is someone who occasionally drives a real looking blue Superbird down the main road on the lake I live by...I've seen the thing in passing so many times I've lost count. It looks real clean and nice. If I ever get a chance to I'm going to look at it up close at a restaurant they visit.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-17-2015, 09:20 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
My Uncle Karl & late Aunt Susan had a '73 4dr Newport. It was that "Goldenrod" color. As well as I remember, it gave very good service. Seems like they had it til about '79 or so. Don't remember what motor it had, I would guess it had the 360.
A friend in Dallas had the same '73 non-metallic goldenrod Newpie, with a 400-2 barrel and 65K miles, 30+ years ago when they were plentiful. Got it at the "we tote the note" car lot with half-a-paycheck down. It did run well as I recall.

A roommate from upstate NY had his mom's 74 Dark Blue Newpie for a while, he claimed that running hotter plugs in the 400 kept it from fouling plugs and hogging gas as usual.

Also, I recall that in tech school, a girl from Georgia had a metallic burnt-orange 1972 New Yorker, with the large taillights and chrome bar inserts. Reminiscent of a B52's song "got me a chrysler that seats about twenty..."

Just a guess that MoPars ran better in hotter-drier climates.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 06-19-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:37 PM
Motorola Minion

Doug's interior on the '71 Sport Fury was a flashback to my first car, a '73 Fury II with a 400 (B-block bored-out 383) 2 barrel Holley not-their-best-work carb, 727 with stand-alone trans cooler and green-green-green colors.
After getting a '68 Mustang, I missed the bulletproof nature and TV-hauling utility of the beast and found one 2 months older with the 440-4V U-code RB block as my winter driver, an red fire chiefs car with Fury I police trim. That monster moved me to TX, where I had it painted white traded it on a 72 Grand Prix. My last MoPar then remained in the land of no more rust to live out its days...

If I ever found another full size of this carline, I would be very happy with the 318 or 360 "LA" small block with the Carter super-simple 2 barrel carburetor. Those beastly B-RB engines were more than enough on the highway and much much more fussy in cold-damp weather shlepping-around drive. And dont forget the leaking rear main bearing oil seals on big blocks was an infernal PITA also. .

I do not think that Chrysler started offering the 360 LA block in C-bodies until the 1974 models, but that was enough engine for sure.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 06-18-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Doug just got a low mile original '72 Fury.. Let's see if he posts some pics!
Audiokarma