Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:32 AM
Stuck in the past!

1978 RCA VCT200 needs a knob

I originally came across this vcr on craigslist along with a Zenith b&w set for $125. The ended up in a landfill because they didn't sell and the owner said they were in the way. They were good enough to direct me to where they went along with a phone number. I was able to get them but in the process, the one knob on the front was lost and the yoke on the TV was slid back and rotated. I fixed the TV but now I'm curious as to where I would get a knob for the VCR.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:32 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Does the other set of knobs fit the side that's missing? If so, post a pic of the two knobs (by themselves, off the VCR) and I'll check my knob box. I've got dozens of similar looking knobs and may have the two.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:17 AM
Banned

It looks like your TV might be missing a knob too?
Old 12-22-2015, 07:26 AM
Stuck in the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
It looks like your TV might be missing a knob too?
Nope, they're all there. Even the little knobs on the side fore brightness, etc. Thar black area on the large upper knob lights up and displays channel number. Thought you could see it in this pic but the camera didn't get it.

Last edited by pac.attack76; 07-14-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
Nope, they're all there. Even the little knobs on the side fore brightness, etc. Thar black area on the large upper knob lights up and displays channel number. Thought you could see it in this pic but the camera didn't get it.
OK, it looked like there was a knob missing in that area. Although even your second picture yu posted didn't show the channel display very well...
Audiokarma
Old 12-22-2015, 08:19 AM
Stuck in the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
OK, it looked like there was a knob missing in that area. Although even your second picture yu posted didn't show the channel display very well...
That's why I mentioned the crappy phone camera didn't even capture it. I'll see if I can get better.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
That's why I mentioned the crappy phone camera didn't even capture it. I'll see if I can get better.
Yeah, well I found out last night that my Hitachi VCR I tried salvaging may be a lost cause, as its playing tapes too fast and it seems to be an issue that's beyond my expertise...
Old 12-22-2015, 08:42 AM
Stuck in the past!

Can't get to it right now to plug it in. I guess you'd just have to be familiar with older sets like this. A lot of them had the tinted window in the knob. My 1955 floor model Zenith has the same window.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Can't get to it right now to plug it in. I guess you'd just have to be familiar with older sets like this. A lot of them had the tinted window in the knob. My 1955 floor model Zenith has the same window.
OK so basically when you tune in a station on on it it shows up in the window? That's kind of nifty. my grandparents had an old Zenith Chromacolor II set in their back bedroom that the color went out on it for some reason (and they never let me back there to take a look at it to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it) and it had the backlit channel display knobs on it.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:39 AM
Stuck in the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Does the other set of knobs fit the side that's missing? If so, post a pic of the two knobs (by themselves, off the VCR) and I'll check my knob box. I've got dozens of similar looking knobs and may have the two.

Cheers,
Finally got those pics. As far as I can tell, they should be the same. Two pieces, one knob sits inside the other and they both fit on their own shaft.

Audiokarma
Old 12-23-2015, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Finally got those pics. As far as I can tell, they should be the same. Two pieces, one knob sits inside the other and they both fit on their own shaft.
They look like your basic TV channel selector knobs from the same time period. If I remember right I had a late 1970s Panasonic that had a knob tuner on it like this and the UHF channel knob was in 3 pieces, one piece was for the channel indicator, one was for the fine tuning knob, and one was for the channel selector knob, and then the VHF was only two knobs where the one knob was the fine tuning knob and the other knob was for the channel selector and also had the channel indicator built into it.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:15 AM
Stuck in the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post

Cheers,
Where did you go?
Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 AM
Stuck in the past!

Well, your profile shows you were on here on 1-7-16. Can't reach you here or through p.M. someone asks me to do something and then I do it and then nothing? I don't get it. I'll just put the one I have back on and forget it. It's not like I'm going to use it anyway. It needs a couple things done and I don't have the time to mess with it right now.