Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:57 PM
TheUniversalDave1

My new RCA CTC-25!

After 5 long weeks, I finally had an opportunity to go visit my friend Danny in Atlanta again. He had set aside a few things for me, including a 1982 Sanyo Betacord, but the real treasure was an RCA CTC-25 "Winslow." We powered it up, and it had a "passable" but otherwise lousy picture. It had an RCA Colorama CRT and the emissions were almost completely dead. He said I should leave it there for now and he would replace the tube and fix a few other problems it has. I'll be going back February 20th to pick it up and to go to the swap meat.

Last edited by TUD1; 08-07-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:52 PM
Level 1

I believe you would want this thread in the "rectangular screen tube television" section although I am not a moderator. I like the cabinet style of this set btw. Is there an additional speaker behind that cloth below the screen?

Last edited by matt99; 01-30-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:30 PM
TheUniversalDave1

There is only one speaker, and it is below the screen.

Last edited by TUD1; 02-14-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:58 PM
Workin' Late Again

That is a sharp looking set, and compact too. Also nice to have a friend that changes CRT's for you.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:31 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Yep, Danny is a super great guy and I can't thank him enough for this TV.

Last edited by TUD1; 12-30-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-31-2016, 09:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

I like the looks of the control area on those era RCAs!
Old 01-31-2016, 10:41 AM
Peanut Head

Moved to rectangular....

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:54 PM
TheUniversalDave1

In order to transport this set in the Buick, the CRT will need to be removed from the cabinet and reinstalled later. Any information on that process will be greatly appreciated, as I have never reinstalled a CRT.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:09 PM
M is for Memory

General CRT removal procedure: Remove back of cabinet, unscrew main chassis and unplug plug-able wires connected to main chassis (note where they go), if tuner sub-chassis unplugs (haven't seen that on an RCA) unplug it or remove tuner sub-chassis from cabinet (there should be a piece of metal on the back of the tuner chassis that can bolt to the screws on either side of the cord interlock for safer transport...do that), remove main chassis from cabinet, set cabinet face down and remove screws/bolts that hold CRT in (usually at the corners), unscrew convergence board, if possible lift the CRT, it's mounting and neck hardware and convergence board out as a unit (it's usually an unnecessary pain to remove, reinstall and properly readjust the neck hardware), have a towel, rug, or some soft thing to set the CRT on ready so CRT face does not get scratched.

I recommend wrapping the convergence board and it's wires around the deflection yoke shroud so they don't flop around, and recommend bolting tuner to main chassis for the same reasons. Be careful things don't bump things on the boards I had to do a lot of extra work and parts sourcing to a CTC-20 roundy because a previous owner did not bolt the tuner sub-chassis on and let it flop about and damage things.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-31-2016, 03:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiotronman View Post
I like the looks of the control area on those era RCAs!
RCA made only one year of that channel selector and fine tuning arrangement, as they were trouble prone. You pushed in the channel selector knob for VHF fine tuning. The outer knob was for UHF tuning. Also you had to get the indicator lamps for the tuner from RCA, as no one else made them. Plus they were hard to focus properly.
Audiokarma
Old 01-31-2016, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice catch! Sold a number of that same model back in the day.

Preachin' to the choir again, but don't forget the two ground stakes on the far-right end of the chroma board need to be reflowed. That's routine on any CTC-12, 15, 16, 17 and 25. When (not if) one of those grounds lets go, it kills the heaters on the two 6GU7s. That allows beam current in the CRT to avalanche, which ain't good.

You're gonna remove and reinstal the CRT? Here's a tip that's better to learn now than later: After a CRT replacement, the whole jug will gradually begin to tip backward, creating a larger and larger gap between the mask and the top of the CRT. We learned quickly to thoroughly tighten the steel band securing the CRT to its 'mounting ears'.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:47 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Yeah, Danny explained to me all the issues they had with this tuner. I won't be turning it very often. I'll probably just leave it in channel 15 all the time.

Old coot88, noted. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

the good thing now tho... since it will either have to be run off a converter box or VCR, at least the tuner won't be an issue. They were a bitch in the day tho. Not a bad set otherwise. That chassis looks pretty clean. Did your friend clean it up, or is it "as found"?
Old 01-31-2016, 06:11 PM
TheUniversalDave1

This TV will be receiving channel 15 UHF. Possibly tied in with the VBT200. I'll have to ask him if he cleaned it up or not. But I agree, yes it is remarkably clean.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:35 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I absolutely cannot wait to bring this set home! I'm considering installing a small computer fan to help cool the flyback. I could probably just make do with hooking it up to a 9 volt battery when the set is turned on. Your thoughts?