Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Blaspemy ! Heresy ! (grin) But yeah, virtually none of the old Tooob Battlewagons had very good stability...At least, not until you had 'em on for a long time, they'd kinda settle down after EVERYTHING in 'em got warm...
Old 11-15-2010, 04:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

I found that after a few hours they would settle down but then would start a gradual drift that never seemed to end.

I listen to the old AM nets and even on 75 meters the guys are drifting around. My friend has an old Knight T-60 transmitter and I offered to convert a Heath sweep generator into a VFO for it. I have to make sure there is enough drift though; I wouldn't want him to be the laughing stock of the group. When I checked in, I apologized for using a rice box.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:46 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

Back when I first got on six meters, if I had to chase the other station in a QSO up the dial, I couldn't resist asking, "how well do you like your Swan rig?" Of course, I'd do that before they would say what rig they had. Kinda scared them. Especially when I did the same thing on HF!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Swans drift as much as any rig, and more than most. I built a rig when I first got licensed and it didn't drift much at all. I made a VFO at 160 meters and multiplied it up to 10 meters.

Another job in which I have pride is stabilizing the VFO in my Johnson Valiant. When I finished with it, it was as solid as a Collins, maybe 1 kHz drift on 10m but probably a lot less.