Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
I'm not sure, but the 14VAHP22 uses a 14BH basing:

Pin
1=Heater
2=Red Cathode
3=Red G1
4=Red G2
5=Green G2
6=Green Catode
7=Green G1
8="C" - not sure what that is..
9=G4 (Focus)
10=not used/not present
11=Blue Cathode
12=Blue G1
13=Blue G2
14=Heater

Empire (now part of Video Diplay/VDC lists the 13VAHP22 as a replacement for 13VAF, 13VBG, and 13VBTP22 CRTs.

Hope this helps,
Brian, Thanks for trying to help. As it turns out it's not a 14BH basing.

Ron L actually came up with the correct basing over on ARF.

Quote:
Hi Kevin Kuehn,
according to my 1979 sylvania tube book,
a 13VAHP22 connections are:

pin1= heater, pin2=green g2, pin3= green g1,pin4=red cathode, pin5=red g2, pin6=red g1, pin7= green cathode, pin9=red green blue g3, pin11=blue cathode, pin12=blue g2, pin13=blue g1, pin14=heater.

anode = red green blue g4.
Hope this helps,
RonL
VDC actually had NOS of this tube up until a couple weeks ago. I sat on the fence for too many days and missed out on their last one.

Kevin
Old 03-13-2011, 02:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

As for the smearing issue, the longer CRT wires from the socket to the test jig will cause that to occur.

It has been years since I've used or been around a jig but at one of my first jobs in a shop during the mid-seventies we had a Tele-Matic model jig. (I remember that smearing!) It wouldn't support roundies so we used a gutted CTC-10 metal cabinet set mounted at the end of the bench.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I started using a jig in the early 70's. The Telematic jig did in fact support the round crt type chassis. So did the RCA jigs as well as the Sylvania jigs.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
I started using a jig in the early 70's. The Telematic jig did in fact support the round crt type chassis. So did the RCA jigs as well as the Sylvania jigs.
That's good to know. Maybe my boss was just cheap as we didn't have those adapters!
Old 03-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Workin' Late Again

Thanks for the comments. I suppose the stray capacitance with the longer CRT cable is causing ringing. I'm also seeing some green ghosting behind images, that I suspsect is because of the green gun leakage in my jigs CRT. Also, the convergence is so poor on this CRT, that I'm seeing multi colored images of text on the outside edges of the screen.

Are there any newer larger rectangular CRT's that are functionally equivalent to the 21FJP22?

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 03-13-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

As others said, since there is way to send dynamic convergence signals from the specific chassis being tested to the jig, the jig's CRT will have poor convergence everywhere except its center area (which should be able to be adjusted using static convergence components on the back of its CRT).

There could not be a truly "equivalent" rectangular CRT to match the roundies, since round-CRT chassis do not have pincushion adjustments, for example. I would also expect a rectangular CRT's yoke to be different as well, perhaps significantly. If you have access to them, try comparing a CTC-16 schematic to a CTC-17; those are probably pretty close except round vs. rectangular.

Are you missing your yoke programmer and/or convergence load (CVL) devices from your CK-3000? I know the CVL is really just a resistor (as discussed earlier in this topic), but I don't know about the yoke programmers, however, I could try to measure mine to help you make your own replacement.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Are you missing your yoke programmer and/or convergence load (CVL) devices from your CK-3000? I know the CVL is really just a resistor (as discussed earlier in this topic), but I don't know about the yoke programmers, however, I could try to measure mine to help you make your own replacement.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the pointers. As you can tell I have very little experience working on color, or even b&w TV's. I went to school for some of this way back in the early 80's, but unfortunately was never able to apply any of it until becoming interested as a hobby. Now it's like learning all over again, and I'm a pretty slow learner unless I can put things into actual practice.

I understand the lack of dynamic convergence issue on the jig, I just didn't realize how dramatic it would be without the adjustments. We're talking horizontal color separation of 1/8-1/4" at the outer edges.

I made my own CRT adaptor, CVL and Yoke programmer. My CK3000 came with a 1990/91 supplementary setup manual; they actually have the Yoke jumper connections listed for the various inductances in the back of the manual. For an YP12 (12.6 mH) I have pins 1&7 and 2&3 jumpered.

Setting up this test jig has been a good learning experience in itself. I even accidentally found out that I can run my 21FJP22 without the CTC-11 convergence board plugged in. It looks very similar to the test jigs very poor convergence.

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 03-15-2011 at 12:36 PM.