Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Holy Pioneer!

Weird Version of an Emerson 882 Clock Radio

My parents had a clock radio similar to this one while I was growing up, but I can't find a model number for this. I got it at a fire sale, and when I got it, there was all kinds of smoke damage.

Someone seems to have done some mods to it, but I don't have a clue when it comes to actual electronics.

I did a fairly good cosmetic restoration on the case

Here's some pages from SAMS

But I dunno if it's safe to plug in. What's the general consensus?

(I thought I had inserted some images from Audiokarma, but I must have done something wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC1105web.jpg (61.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC1120web.jpg (53.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC1138web copy.jpg (68.2 KB, 10 views)

"A drummer, bass and two guitars
When you're playing Tasty, you'll go far
Tasty, ooh Tasty, ain't it time we mellow out?"

Tasty-The Good Rats

Last edited by Bogframe; 12-08-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Workin' Late Again

Can you attach your actual images here instead of linking to Audio Karma?

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 12-08-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:11 AM
M is for Memory

Got an outlet controlled by a wall switch? Plug it into that with the switch off and flip it on...Worst case scenario you trip the house breaker and have a bit of smoke(may be good to run an extension cord outside if you don't like smoke). Flip it off (the switch! ) if you notice signs of trouble.

Most tube clock radios were series string. Unless the clock motor or power wires shorted there is not much danger plugging them in, any major fault in the radio section will usually at worst burn out the power rectifier tube, another tube or some easily obtained part.

You will probably need to replace the electrolytic and paper caps for it to work correctly. (if the lytics are badly shorted that may kill the power rectifier tube.)

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-08-2017, 06:44 PM
Holy Pioneer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Can you attach your actual images here instead of linking to Audio Karma?
I did three. but they won't let me do more

Tasty-The Good Rats
Old 12-08-2017, 08:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogframe View Post
......Someone seems to have done some mods to it, but I don't have a clue when it comes to actual electronics.

.............But I dunno if it's safe to plug in. What's the general consensus?.......
Hi Bogframe , From your pictures the only mod I see is that someone in the past replaced the multi capacitor "C1" with a replacement unit that is not circuit board mounted like the original , and did a kinda kludgy job by soldering it to the (presumably) ground lug of the speaker as a mounting point .

As to plugging it in , sure , it's your basic "AA5" that parts are more than plentiful for , and the worst it's likely to do will be to have a loud buzz or hum sound from the speaker . Since that replacement for C1 (the power supply's "filter capacitor") looks kinda old itself it may give the hum I mentioned , or then again it just may work , and throwing the juice to it is as Electronic Memory said , really only a risk to the common as dirt 35W4 power supply rectifier tube .

Last edited by Celt; 12-09-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-09-2017, 06:32 AM
Holy Pioneer!

The reason I call it a "weird version" is that unlike the one my parents had (you can kind of see it in this picture), this one has no snooze bar on top nor does it have the orange indicator light most similar models have. I initially got this as a present for my mom, but until I know it's safe, or figure a way to make it safe, I don't want to risk giving it to her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007 copy.jpg (75.4 KB, 25 views)

Tasty-The Good Rats
Old 12-10-2017, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sure it can be made safe , or let's just say as safe as it was when it left the factory back in 1958 . At the minimum , the big capacitor soldered to the speaker has to go , as well as any other "wax paper" type capacitors (this includes any "Bumblebees" that may be lurking about) . Since you said "I don't have a clue when it comes to actual electronics" my best suggestion here for you is this ;

Since this is obviously an "heirloom" piece for you because your not likely to find another as close to your family's original radio as this one you've now found , put it away for a bit , pick up some other ( or two or three) "AA5" tube radios and learn how to do a "recap" on them as your learning experience . You'll of course need to learn how to solder , no biggie there , millions of folks can do it and so can you . A search here of "recap" will turn up all kinds of great reading and although it may seem daunting now , you've chosen one of the easiest sets to repair to fall in love with , the five tube "All American 5" being one of the most simple designs .

I will show you a picture of some recent capacitors I replaced , these are mounted to a proper terminal strip and are 105c temperature rated . In your case , where you have a circuit board , there is no reason why some new capacitors couldn't be soldered back onto the board in the spot that the original (C1) was .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Good Caps.jpg (72.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Holy Pioneer!

Is it true that the insulation on the wires is Asbestos? If it is, should they be replaced too? What would the modern equivalent be?

Tasty-The Good Rats
Old 12-11-2017, 09:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Got an outlet controlled by a wall switch? Plug it into that with the switch off and flip it on...Worst case scenario you trip the house breaker and have a bit of smoke(may be good to run an extension cord outside if you don't like smoke). Flip it off (the switch! ) if you notice signs of trouble.

Most tube clock radios were series string. Unless the clock motor or power wires shorted there is not much danger plugging them in, any major fault in the radio section will usually at worst burn out the power rectifier tube, another tube or some easily obtained part.

You will probably need to replace the electrolytic and paper caps for it to work correctly. (if the lytics are badly shorted that may kill the power rectifier tube.)
No Guts, No Glory!
I never went through this ritual. I've been working on this stuff long before many of you were a gleem in your father's eye.
It's too bad it isn't a little cleaner example of the set. This one has to be totally disassembled to be detailed properly.
BTW, that radio is too new to have asbestos wiring.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Hi Bogframe , From your pictures the only mod I see is that someone in the past replaced the multi capacitor "C1" with a replacement unit that is not circuit board mounted like the original , and did a kinda kludgy job by soldering it to the (presumably) ground lug of the speaker as a mounting point .

As to plugging it in , sure , it's your basic "AA5" that parts are more than plentiful for , and the worst it's likely to do will be to have a loud buzz or hum sound from the speaker . Since that replacement for C1 (the power supply's "filter capacitor") looks kinda old itself it may give the hum I mentioned , or then again it just may work , and throwing the juice to it is as Electronic Memory said , really only a risk to the common as dirt 35W4 power supply rectifier tube .
At least, the person that installed the 'lytic wasn't vague, they did use Sprague.
The original caps were lousy, didn't last very long.
Audiokarma
Old 12-11-2017, 09:47 AM
Holy Pioneer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
No Guts, No Glory!
I never went through this ritual. I've been working on this stuff long before many of you were a gleem in your father's eye.
It's too bad it isn't a little cleaner example of the set. This one has to be totally disassembled to be detailed properly.
BTW, that radio is too new to have asbestos wiring.
Thanks! Do you know around when they stopped using it? I have a friend who could recap it, but he thinks the wires are asbestos-wrapped and won't go near the thing. If I could give him that info, I could have it fixed before the last night of Chanukkah!

Tasty-The Good Rats
Old 12-11-2017, 10:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogframe View Post
Thanks! Do you know around when they stopped using it? I have a friend who could recap it, but he thinks the wires are asbestos-wrapped and won't go near the thing. If I could give him that info, I could have it fixed before the last night of Chanukkah!
Emerson used a fabric covered vinyl insulated wire since the late 40's, perfectly safe.
Some manufacturers used an asbestos pad above the 50C5 tube, as it runs so hot and could discolor the plastic cabinet.
If you run into that type of insulation in a cabinet, soak it down thoroughly with dish detergent and scrape it carefully as not to get the fibers airbourn.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Emerson used a fabric covered vinyl insulated wire since the late 40's, perfectly safe.
Some manufacturers used an asbestos pad above the 50C5 tube, as it runs so hot and could discolor the plastic cabinet.
If you run into that type of insulation in a cabinet, soak it down thoroughly with dish detergent and scrape it carefully as not to get the fibers airbourn.
As to why your clock-radio has no snooze bar-. It's the "kitchen" model. Some manufacturers of this era produced both bedroom and kitchen versions of the same clock radios. Often the kitchen models also had a courtesy outlet on the back so you could plug in a coffee pot and have it automatically start the next morning.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2017, 09:40 AM
Holy Pioneer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioal View Post
As to why your clock-radio has no snooze bar-. It's the "kitchen" model. Some manufacturers of this era produced both bedroom and kitchen versions of the same clock radios. Often the kitchen models also had a courtesy outlet on the back so you could plug in a coffee pot and have it automatically start the next morning.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
It does! Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC1141web.jpg (62.8 KB, 13 views)

Tasty-The Good Rats

Last edited by Bogframe; 12-22-2017 at 09:43 AM.