Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-16-2021, 05:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA 66x3 cabinet stain colors?

I am new at cabinet work and being able to tell what is what...

Does anyone happen to know what the stain colors are for the RCA 66X3? I have one that I am trying to restore and its rough. needs completely sanded down and redone but I'm not sure what to do it with.

Also the front looks like it might be faux finish but I am not sure? its alligatoring/orange peeling really badly as well.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:07 PM
M is for Memory

It almost certainly is photofinish. I never use stain since the original finish on most cabinets was toner lacquer. The problem with stain is if it doesn't turn out right it's usually already soaked into the wood and you can end up sanding through veneer trying to fix a stain mistake.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-16-2021, 07:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

So what should I use? know the colors? the cabinet finish is just completely gone.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not sure about RCA, but my Philco stuff seems to want Walnut toned lacquer. My 42-390 got a quick rub with walnut toned Howard's Restore-A-Finish and that matched well. that little Philco farm radio (forget the model #) is going to get walnut on the face, dark walnut on the bottom trim piece, and perfect brown for the sides/top (Behlen toning lacquers)

I'd look to see if someone makes reproduction photofinish for your radio, you might get lucky.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Speaking of photofinish, I have an 1858 Seth Thomas Column and Cornice Clock that has real rosewood veneer on the cabinet that needs to be redone in some spots as the original veneer had chipped/broke off along the base, and someone on another forum I'm a part of had said he had found some what he had thought was rosewood veneer tucked away inside a roll of walnut veneer, and I told him I needed some rosewood veneer to work on my clock, and he sent me a small piece of the veneer.

When I received it and opened it up to try and put it on my clock it turned out that it was nothing more than photo finish veneer unfortunately, because it was basically paper that had rosewood wood grain printed onto it.

So that's my little experience with photo finish veneer.
Audiokarma