Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
the post before your post was the FCC ID off this VCR, I looked up the ID and it was indeed JVC/Kenwood that made this VCR which means that JVC themselves made this VCR and not some other company for JVC.
I don't think JVC ever had another company make their VCRs.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'll be surprised that Kenwood made their VCRs.I have a Kenwood somewhere here.I might be wrong but I think it was Matsushita"Panasonic" and JVC was the original makers then Sony got into it and later after the loss of Betamax. Funai made the cheap ones in later years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHS
Old 10-02-2016, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I'll be surprised that Kenwood made their VCRs.I have a Kenwood somewhere here.I might be wrong but I think it was Matsushita"Panasonic" and JVC was the original makers then Sony got into it and later after the loss of Betamax. Funai made the cheap ones in later years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHS
Well like I said JVC seems to of made their own VCRs including mine, and I think Panasonic and Quasar also was made by their own compay (Matsushita), So yeah it seems that only the Japanese companies made their own units whereas by the time VHS came around all of the American companies had Japanese companies building their units for them like Zenith Using JVC and then Later on Goldstar for their later units (which Goldstar was actually Korean), so yeah, its kind of funny how that works.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
I don't think JVC ever had another company make their VCRs.
Yeah, I think so too, I'm pretty sure most of the Japanese companies made their own stuff (unlike our American Companies who couldn't make their own stuff anymore by the time VHS came around), because I know Hitachi, JVC (which interestingly enough JVC was actually the Japanese subsidy of RCA originally but then RCA dropped them after a while), Panasonic, Quasar, and Sony (at one time) made all of their own stuff in house, and most of the companies listed (except Sony) still do.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
I have an oscilloscope but have no idea how to use it.

Also what if the audio works fine on another tape that's the same vintage?
I'm wondering because I tried another all analog VHS Tape from 1988 that when I played it it had no problems playing Hi-Fi Audio without cutting back and forth between Hi-Fi and Linear Stereo audio like the Monty Python tape did.
Someone needs to show you how to check tape path alignment with an o'scope. Very important test and observation when servicing VCRs.

One way to test if the hi-fi heads are worn or partially clogged, would be to record and playback. If one or both heads are not working properly recording and playback will bring out the problem. If it does that with solid hi-fi tracking and no audio noise the heads are probably fine. Seen many VCRs in the day that would play back hi-fi on good tapes but would have flutter noise or just not switch to hi-fi at all on self-recordings if the hi-fi heads were too worn.

The Monty Python tape could have been recorded a bit out of alignment or head switching point was off, or the tape is damaged, stretched or curled along an edge, don't know and can't tell without looking.
Audiokarma
Old 10-02-2016, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Someone needs to show you how to check tape path alignment with an o'scope. Very important test and observation when servicing VCRs.

One way to test if the hi-fi heads are worn or partially clogged, would be to record and playback. If one or both heads are not working properly recording and playback will bring out the problem. If it does that with solid hi-fi tracking and no audio noise the heads are probably fine. Seen many VCRs in the day that would play back hi-fi on good tapes but would have flutter noise or just not switch to hi-fi at all on self-recordings if the hi-fi heads were too worn.

The Monty Python tape could have been recorded a bit out of alignment or head switching point was off, or the tape is damaged, stretched or curled along an edge, don't know and can't tell without looking.
Well the Oscilloscope I have has its original manual with it but its an older unit that has tubes in it (the really small five pin tubes) so I don't know if the manual will say anything about how to check video paths on a VCR o not (at least not a VHS unit, maybe a U-Matic deck unit but not a VHS unit). Also the tape at the very beginning (the Monty Python tape) was damaged a little bit but surprisingly enough all it did was make the video slightly jumpy and that's it the audio issue I figured was because of the damage at the begining but when it continued to do it even after the damaged part then I figured that probably there was something either wrong with the VHS deck itself or the Tape itself was damaged or possibly was recorded in a funky manner, but like I said when I tried another tape out on it, the other tape played fine with no audio tracking errors whatsoever.

Last edited by Captainclock; 10-02-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Well the Oscilloscope I have has its original manual with it but its an older unit that has tubes in it (the really small five pin tubes) so I don't know if the manual will say anything about how to check video paths on a VCR o not (at least not a VHS unit, maybe a U-Matic deck unit but not a VHS unit).
That will be covered in a VCR service manual. They will probably tell you to sync to the square wave from the head switching, but I usually just set the scope sync on "line" so it syncs to 60 Hz AC line freq. Anyway, once you see enough of them you'll almost instinctively know where to look for that test point to hook to. Some mfgrs used a common name like "TP6" or "RF-TP" across many models.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:38 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

YouTube video of aligning a JVC VCR with an o'scope. Should give you an idea of what's involved. Toward the end he shows doing it without a scope. You can get close that way but like he says to be exact you need the scope hooked up to see what you're doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33donH0J-vI

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 10-02-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:23 PM
blast, blast...

Good video. Love his voice! Sounds like Gene Hackman!

Last edited by Blast; 10-02-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
YouTube video of aligning a JVC VCR with an o'scope. Should give you an idea of what's involved. Toward the end he shows doing it without a scope. You can get close that way but like he says to be exact you need the scope hooked up to see what you're doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33donH0J-vI
Thanks too ED.I watch this guy all the time and subscribe to his channel.
Audiokarma
Old 10-04-2016, 12:43 PM
Banned

Thanks, I'll take a look at the video later.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:57 AM
blast, blast...

In regards to Kenwood I see that there's been a merger of some type, possibly in 2008, according to Wikipedia. But, when this VCR was built I highly doubt that Kenwood had any significant connection or influence to JVC.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
In regards to Kenwood I see that there's been a merger of some type, possibly in 2008, according to Wikipedia. But, when this VCR was built I highly doubt that Kenwood had any significant connection or influence to JVC.
I don't know about the Kenwood Connection to JVC either all I know is that when I looked up the FCC ID on the back of the VCR I have it came back with the result of "Kenwood/JVC" so yeah I don't know, and the FCC ID was dated to 1988.