Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

NOS Sylvania Exponent 4/60

I just got this NIB, never sold, Sylvania Exponent 4/60 portable stereo from a now closed TV and appliance dealer. I think this was the TOTL model that features an AM/FM radio and a Garrard changer with a Pickering magnetic cartridge. I have not yet tried it out; but, I'm sure this will be a far better unit than today's cheap silver Chinese "all in one" systems.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Congratulations! I've been kinda on the lookout for one of those for years, locally. Actually the 4/40 is the one I am familiar with, had no tuner. A buddy of mine got one for Christmas back in 1965 or thereabouts. It sounded great! Amazing finding one around in the box with the original packing unused all these years.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Even though this is a new unit, it's going to need an overhaul. I can tell that it has some bad caps and the auto function on the changer is non functional. I wonder if this unit uses those black cased "Callins" or "Whale" brand caps that are always bad by now? This just shows that time can kill a piece of equipment, regardless if it's being used or not.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Yep I would imagine everything in it from capacitors to rubber parts and grease in the turntable mechanism all need attention after sitting in a box for 45 years.