Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Electronics Accumulator

Well, I drove out and picked up the set yesterday. I was somewhat suprised when I first got close to it - it's a metal set. I hadn't realized that. But it's cool, you don't see too many metal cabinet consoles. It's in pretty good shape aside from some wear on the front panel. The fake chrome is flaking off the knobs as well. But, the cabinet is in nice shape, with only minor wear and scratches.

I pulled the chassis last night, and took a look at it - the owner said that it worked and produced a wonderful picture until one day when it failed, and smoke came from just to the left of the flyback cage. I don't see anything burned under there, although there are a couple of power resistors that look like they had been running hot. It's pretty dusty, and it was late when I did my checking - I'll know more when I get a chance to clean it up and check it out.

The set came with a spare flyback and some spare (used) tubes. The picture tube looks perfect, I haven't tested it, but it was replaced in 1979. There's no cataracts, and it's nice and clean, the base is firmly attached and everything. No type number anywhere I can see though, and no labels. Quite possibly a rebuild.

The owner even threw in a cute little 19" GE "Accent-Line" tube type B&W portable. That set works perfectly, and gets a very nice picture over the air. Tuner's a little loose though.

So... hopefully I'll have some time soon to check this out. Any suggestions as to where to start looking? Also, I should be able to power this up on the bench with no picture tube, yoke or convergence board, provided I pull the horizontal output tube, correct? I am going to check the B+ supply first.

-Ian