Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:48 PM
roundie not so n00b

Colour roundie SCORE

Well today must have been my lucky day.

A while back they stuck the lady next door in a home, and some of her relatives recently moved into the house and have been cleaning stuff up. From when I was a little kid I remembered she had an old colour roundie, and a bunch of disposable plastic cased TVs. Today they had a garage sale and were packing up stuff, I snagged a neato coffee maker and I asked if any of the TVs were still around, the lady was like "lol yes we have one but we're just going to throw it away, it's too old" and i was all OMGWTF. So I went and there was the roundie, unfortunatley they had put it on a cart and probably jarred it pretty hard. The lady said that it worked, they had plugged it in before. So it seemed it passed the smoke test.

I think it has a hybrid chassis, I saw the PC board traces through a vent in the bottom, and I saw the warm glow of tubes through the vents in the back. Anyway, i was afraid it was just going to be audio only. But snow came up and it has a picture The only things i noticed is that it has some pink gaussing spots on the left and right sides of the picture; and when placed in SERVICE mode, the horizontal line has some minor registration errors on the right side - but the line was so SHARP. I could tell the individual "pixels" or "phosphor dots" in the misregistered lines!! Plus I think the switch is dirty. It would collapse to single line, then expand to full picture, then drop down to horizontal. Only in SERVICE mode, normal is fine.

I didn't get any pictures, but it's a philco-ford roundie :d

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron
Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 PM
roundie not so n00b

Whoops. I just noticed this is the BW section. Could a mod move it to colour? I accidentally used a favourite to get here and assumed it was the colour section

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron
Old 03-16-2008, 09:02 PM

It's perfectly normal for the lines not to register in the service mode.

Good score!

John
Old 03-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Another GREAT save !
Old 03-16-2008, 10:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yep, that was lucky! Sure it would have been in the dumpster by now. That should be a good set when you get her fixed up.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Convergence freak!

The odd thing about the service mode line is it seems to appear on certain images, ie. snow or a raster with all white. Sometimes it doesnt show up at all unless I set my vcr to a channel that doesnt show anything then it goes to a blue screen, I can get a vertical line then..
Old 03-17-2008, 12:16 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Some sets cut the video and chroma off while in service mode, others don't (including most RCA sets). You have to manually turn the bright, cont, and color all the way to minimum to get an accurate service line. If you don't, you'll get a false setting since you're fighting against color and video. In the case of a CTC-16, you should set the bias switch to min or middle, depending on how strong the CRT. Some techs like to get a faint gray line, but I like to just barely black out each color.

Charles