Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:55 PM
M is for Memory

You could try bypassing the bucking coil or reversing the leads and see if hum improves.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-12-2021, 07:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
You could try bypassing the bucking coil or reversing the leads and see if hum improves.
How would I do that? Which wires go to the hum bucking coil? I'm asking because I don't want to accidentally cut the wrong wires.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm guessing the hum bucking coil is the black and white wires coming out of the coil on the back of the speaker shown in the picture below?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16393647481304963143177439433180.jpg (75.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-13-2021, 12:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

OK, so a little update, I removed the original speaker from the cabinet and replaced the original speaker plug with the one from my parts unit, and hooked the original speaker up to the radio with it outside the cabinet and no hum! So was it maybe something weird with the old speaker plug and something weird with the cabinet?
Old 12-13-2021, 03:51 PM
Workin' Late Again

[QUOTE=vortalexfan;3238193]I'm guessing the hum bucking coil is the black and white wires coming out of the coil on the back of the speaker shown in the picture below?[/Q

I'm not familiar with that radio, but I'd guess the black and white wires are L16( the speaker field). The humbucking coil is a separate coil(likely sandwiched to one end of L16), that is wired in series with the voice coil. Reversing the field could have the same result as reversing the hum bucking coil, resulting in more hum. The way to figure that out is to try reversing it. Whichever way produces less hum is correct.
Audiokarma
Old 12-13-2021, 04:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=Kevin Kuehn;3238202]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
I'm guessing the hum bucking coil is the black and white wires coming out of the coil on the back of the speaker shown in the picture below?[/Q

I'm not familiar with that radio, but I'd guess the black and white wires are L16( the speaker field). The humbucking coil is a separate coil(likely sandwiched to one end of L16), that is wired in series with the voice coil. Reversing the field could have the same result as reversing the hum bucking coil, resulting in more hum. The way to figure that out is to try reversing it. Whichever way produces less hum is correct.
Ok, so I'm not sure what would be different between the speaker being in the cabinet and out of the cabinet but with the speaker out of the cabinet the hum is non-existent, and I'm not sure if this would of affected it or not but I did replace the old broken speaker plug.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:05 PM
Workin' Late Again

Partially because having the speaker on a baffle board allows it to reproduce the 60 hz frequency more efficiently. Without the cabinet the wave coming off the back of the cone partially cancels the wave off the front.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Partially because having the speaker on a baffle board allows it to reproduce the 60 hz frequency more efficiently. Without the cabinet the wave coming off the back of the cone partially cancels the wave off the front.
OK, well I'm going to try putting the speaker back into the cabinet and hook it up to the radio again and see if it still hums.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

OK, so a little update, it was definitely the original speaker that was bad (bad humbucking coil) because I installed the speaker from the parts radio like this one, and it for sure was not humming whereas the original speaker that came with this radio did hum, in fact when I looked at the parts radio speaker and the original speaker for this radio, it actually looks like the original speaker was maybe missing its humbucking coil (it only had two wires coming out of the field coil whereas the parts speaker had 4 wires coming out of the field coil.)

So now I can officially say that this radio is fixed, unfortunately though the parts radio's speaker was slightly smaller than the original speaker was, so I had to modify it slightly to make it fit in the cabinet.