Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:24 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
The oldest VCR I have is a 1972 Philips N1500. this cassette format is the first consumer format and predates the Betamax and VHS by nearly half a decade.

My oldest VHS is an RCA VBT-200 from October 1977.
U-matic (1971) was the first consumer VCR format. Sony initially built it for the consumer market (the built in tuners and RF out on the VO-1600 that were deleted in subsequent models show this intent), but it was too expensive to attract the market Sony wanted (as Sony learned from the sales data from the flagship VO-1600). So Sony changed gears and switched to marketing it as a broadcast format.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-13-2014, 09:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
U-matic (1971) was the first consumer VCR format. Sony initially built it for the consumer market (the built in tuners and RF out on the VO-1600 that were deleted in subsequent models show this intent), but it was too expensive to attract the market Sony wanted (as Sony learned from the sales data from the flagship VO-1600). So Sony changed gears and switched to marketing it as a broadcast format.
Most believe the N-1500 was the first "consumer" VCR and the Sony the first VCR. The criterion for consumer VCR would be to record and playback, include a tuner and include a timer (the Sony did not include the timer).

Alas my N-1500 has bad video heads. If anyone has a video drum to spare, I'd be most grateful.

http://www.rewindmuseum.com/umatic.htm
Old 12-13-2014, 09:27 PM
M is for Memory

It records, plays back and has a tuner. I consider their opinion of a timer being part of the consumer criteria to be BS. I have Zenith's first betamax deck (a rebadged Sony, one of their first 2-3 models), and that unit (as well as Sony's version) lacked internal timers (which were sold as accessories). Sony, among others, did this for their first few standalone beta models which by that site's logic would disqualify them from being a consumer models...Despite everyone recognizing them as consumer models.
....Besides most houses had or could cheaply get appliance timers that would run most early VTRs so why add a few bucks to an already costly consumer product when you could make it an accessory?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-14-2014, 10:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I consider their opinion of a timer being part of the consumer criteria to be BS.
Maybe the timer issue is BS. Nevertheless, the Sony U-matic was never considered as a domestic format due to its high cost and the 3/4" tape with limited recording duration. The Philips format evolved from a short 1 hour duration and was a serious contender along with the Betamax and VHS in Europe.

Perhaps your contention the U-matic was the first maybe because the delayed uptake of home VCRs in North America vs Europe? The N1500 became popular throughout Europe and is perhaps non-existent in North America.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
The Sony U-Matic VO-1600 was not considered a home consumer VTR. It was considered semi-professional. When I wanted to buy mine, it was only available from places that sold broadcast equipment for the professional industry. This was back in the early 70's.

Last edited by etype2; 12-14-2014 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Correction
Audiokarma
Old 12-16-2014, 09:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have a Sony VO-1600 U-Matic machine. These were never considered to be professional.

Back when they were young, my TV station had several of them around the building in the conference room, etc. We could make recordings on any of them, and then take the tape to the studio Control room and play them on the professional-grade U-Matic machines there and you could tell the difference in the quality of the recording on the tape by looking at the waveform scope image.

My 1600 was built in January 1972, and is still running today after many belt-sets were replaced in it. It's on its 3rd video head assembly, and the recordings will lock in a couple of seconds.

I also have a VO-1200 player. It was used by Ford for their auto dealerships to show car information to clients. It is badged as a Ford videocassette player, but is a Sony through and through. It's now parts for the 1600.

Today, my main 3/4" machine is a big and heavy Sony BVU-200B that runs like a champ with only a new capstan idler replacement in all these years. It's got a wired remote, and will play anything I have perfectly.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
[QUOTE=holmesuser01;3121361]I have a Sony VO-1600 U-Matic machine. These were never considered to be professional.

Back when they were young, my TV station had several of them around the building in the conference room, etc. We could make recordings on any of them, and then take the tape to the studio Control room and play them on the professional-grade U-Matic machines there and you could tell the difference in the quality of the recording on the tape by looking at the waveform scope image."

There is a difference between "home consumer, semi-professional and professional" I said the Sony U Matic VO 1600 was considered semi-professional not professional.

The fact that you mentioned that you saw the VO 1600 at your TV station and studio environment, supports what I said in my comment. When I bought mine in the early 70's, I lived in a major metropolitan area of 1.5 million people, and could only find the VO 1600 in stores that sold broadcast equipment.

I think most folks that were around in the early 70's, mid 70's and had money to buy these machines will say that the "first home consumer VCR's " were the Betamax and VHS machines. That is when video recording went main stream to people's homes. The tape cassettes were smaller and inexpensive, the machines were less cumbersome and cheaper and mom and pop video stores began to pop up all over the place. Once the Sony Betamax lawsuit was settled by the Supreme Court things exploded.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have about 7 Sony VO-1200 players along with the service manual.One almost killed my back the other night moving it.

They were probably used in schools or running safety tapes at factories or demo/adverts in stores ages ago.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

If this counts as a VCR. I forgot to mention I have a Sanyo Vcord recorder here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-Cord

Another format which had a short life.

I have no clue if it work since I have no tapes to check it.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Right, etype2, semi professional. I was trying to agree with and back you up, but it didn't come out that way in my previous post.

I still have recordings I made around 1973 from broadcast TV. Working in the business, at that time, I aquired a bunch of used 60 minute U-Matic cassettes from a production house that for reasons unknown, had rejected these tapes. Of all that I got, I remember only 10 or so of them that were bad. They've all been kept in my house, and all still play. I've had to repair the splices at the beginning and end of the tapes... the splicing tape just dried up and let go... It didn't matter, as I always recorded 30 seconds of color bars on everything I did.

One thing I truly disliked about the 1600 was no pause abilities once the recording was going. Later, I bought a used VO-2850 that could pause. By then, I had a tuner module, so I could record on any video recorder. I still have the RF modulator that I had to buy for the 2850. At that time, all of my TV's only had an antenna input.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

N1500 Video-Heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
Most believe the N-1500 was the first "consumer" VCR and the Sony the first VCR. The criterion for consumer VCR would be to record and playback, include a tuner and include a timer (the Sony did not include the timer).

Alas my N-1500 has bad video heads. If anyone has a video drum to spare, I'd be most grateful.

http://www.rewindmuseum.com/umatic.htm

IF you get the chance--the (In Europe) more popular N1700 VCR series head-drum will physically fit and work.

As opposed the N1500 'straight-head' 130uM the N1700 used 74uM slant-azimuth heads, but will work in the 1500--although will not play 1500 recordings--only its own recordings,--but better than nothing.

Worthwhile--If you get a good set of 1700 series heads, would be to halve the tape-speed, by machining the capstan motor-pulley to exactly half its original diameter, and adding an extra servo pick-up head to the capstan flywheel at right-angles to the original--wire 'em in series (Experience has shown its not really necessary to add another head here--The servo still locks at half-speed happily...)

At this point the machine --isnt quite N1700 standard, as the Capstan itself needs to be machined down somewhat--but a real precision grinding job needs to be done to it, as its Mega Hard steel--I know,--I tried to do one some years ago with a spare shaft, --and failed!....

Whatever you do fit to the machine--Strip and clean the reel-tables well, and re-lubricate with a light oil, Make absolutely certain that the bottom reel table is perfectly free, with no tight-spots etc The Back-Tension is governed by the weight of the bottom-reel and a felt backed disc on the underside of the bottom reel-table.
--Its incredible how fast a set of nice new heads can be trashed by cruddy oil/felt-disc on that reel-table!--Applies to all of the N1500/N1700 series machines.....
Old 05-14-2015, 03:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

My oldest VCR

My oldest VCR is a Sanyo Betacord/Betamax model VTC 9350 from 1979. It is the PAL and SECAM, Middle East version of the European model 9300! Very rare. It needs belts and idlers and some electronic work...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg best.jpg (54.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (55.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20141204_023101.jpg (69.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-20-2015, 05:24 AM
I love old stuff

I have an "Philips" V.C.R. sistem "Grundig" BK3300 V.C.R. and 4 cassettes for it. Unfourtenley, it does need a repair
My V.H.S. V.C.R. (an 1986-1987 "Panasonic" NV-630PX) it's at a repairamn's shop and it'll stay there untill will get a good repair...