Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

A solution to letterboxing!

Hi all,

I thought sharing this might be beneficial to y'all. Like many people here I can't stand the black bars that appear alongside, or on top of, the image when using a converter box.

A few years ago I found a partial workaround that eliminated the problem, providing the video was 16:9. A HDMI to composite converter with a zoom function enabled the 16:9 image to fit the 4:3 screen with no black bars, although a small part of it was cut off.

This worked fine for the most part with my Apple TV. Much of the content on Netflix and Amazon Prime is 16:9, as are many YouTube videos. But when something with a 4:3 aspect ratio is converted to 16:9, it displays as a square with those annoying black bars flanking it. Unfortunately, most older content online has this problem, and by and large that's what I watch on my TVs.

For a while I just grudging accepted this as the way things were going to be, but then I happened to stumble upon this thread:

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=266358

In it Kamakiri has success using an Extron IN1502 scaler to eliminate the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Meant for converting a composite signal to RGB (VGA connector) for use with a monitor, the scaler has a wide range of picture adjustments that can help with video issues. Another converter is necessary to re-convert the output back to composite again.

The box does eliminate the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, but frustratingly the horizontal size adjustment maxes out before the sides of the screen can be filled. Thankfully, the VGA to composite converters sold on eBay have picture adjustments of their own, and by changing those settings I was able to eliminate most, but not all, of the black area around the image. By experimenting with the zoom function on the HDMI converter, and tweaking the settings on the other two boxes, I can get a 4:3 video to display correctly on my TVs and declare victory over those annoying black bars!

It's rather kludgy but it does work. The Extron scaler, HDMI converter with zoom, and PC to composite converter get the job done with some tinkering. When I want to watch videos with a native 16:9 resolution, I switch the scaler and VGA converter out of the circuit - it's quicker and easier than messing with the settings.

Anyway, the whole setup cost less than $75 on eBay, and is well worth the investment if you want 4:3 videos to display correctly.

-Tim
Old 03-31-2019, 02:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

So how is the picture geometry? Say the shot is of the setting sun, and the camera pans across left to right, and out of frame. Does the sun remain circular for the entire shot? Is everything that was in 'safe action' area remain visible as well?
Old 03-31-2019, 04:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
So how is the picture geometry? Say the shot is of the setting sun, and the camera pans across left to right, and out of frame. Does the sun remain circular for the entire shot? Is everything that was in 'safe action' area remain visible as well?
I'll admit that I'm pretty happy just getting rid of the bars, and so I haven't paid too much attention to the picture geometry. However I will say everything looks about as it should, with no obvious (to me) distortion of the picture.

One of the things I didn't like about 16:9 was having part of the image cut off, but I considered it a fair trade for having a full screen. When I was setting up the scaler, I was careful to ensure the image filled the screen and nothing got cut off.

The screenshot I attached isn't the best but hopefully it answers some of your questions. I'll do some tests and comparisons when I get a chance and post my findings here.

-Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4924a.jpg (56.7 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Tim R.; 03-31-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:14 PM
M is for Memory

Please specify the brands and models of the all the gear you have assembled for this.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-31-2019, 07:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Please specify the brands and models of the all the gear you have assembled for this.

HDMI converter:

(Unbranded) model HDV-960

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDCVT-HDV-9...b:g:GyYAAOSwB-

Composite to VGA:

Extron IN1502

https://www.extron.com/mobile/produc...502#aspnetForm

This has been discontinued but there are plenty on eBay for $25-$30.

VGA to composite:

Sewell SW-23000 PC to TV Converter

This has been discontinued but I imagine one of these generic converters would do the job:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-VGA-to-T...4AAOSw9W5bVx26

Edit: Forgot to mention- you need a BNC to RCA adapter in order to use the Extron scaler.

Last edited by Tim R.; 04-01-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added info
Audiokarma
Old 04-01-2019, 03:28 AM
Analogue is Awesome

I hear ya buddy...... I hate letterbox as well!!!!!!!

Good luck and thanx for sharing
Old 04-01-2019, 11:14 AM
<----Zenith C845

I watch a lot of older TV programs ('50s-'70s era) which were filmed or taped in 4:3 aspect ratio; this, of course, will result in the black bars on either side of the picture on either CRT TVs or modern flat screens. I have a 32" flat screen, which shows the bars either at both sides of the picture, at the top and bottom of said picture, or both (the last occurring almost exclusively on commercials, which I ignore anyway). My solution is simply to change the TV's aspect ratio setting to "zoom", which causes the picture to fill the screen; however, parts of the image will be cut off, as was noted by one person here. This can be annoying, but it is the only way to get a full-screen picture on a flat screen when watching older shows which were filmed or taped long before the digital TV era.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

For anyone who owns the HDV-960 HDMI converter listed above, does it letterbox its output or horizontally squeeze it?

I see the button on it labelled &ldquo;Ratio&rdquo; &mdash; does that allow you to choose how the output is displayed? If so, what are the modes/choices?

Thank you!
Old 09-05-2020, 02:54 PM
M is for Memory

If your HDMI source is not being split to a HDMI TV and the HDMI to composite converter many disc players and other HDMI sources have options to configure the aspect ratio sent to the converter.

Old 09-05-2020, 04:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
If your HDMI source is not being split to a HDMI TV and the HDMI to composite converter many disc players and other HDMI sources have options to configure the aspect ratio sent to the converter.

Right, but the source I’m using is a current-generation Roku, and they have firmly decided to eliminate the option of choosing aspect ratio, since they discontinued the models which have native composite output. Hence the quandary I’m in.
Audiokarma
Old 09-05-2020, 05:06 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
Right, but the source I’m using is a current-generation Roku, and they have firmly decided to eliminate the option of choosing aspect ratio, since they discontinued the models which have native composite output. Hence the quandary I’m in.
I've heard that even the new ones can be put into a developer mode that unlocks many additional menus including 4x3 aspect ratio.

Old 09-05-2020, 06:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I've heard that even the new ones can be put into a developer mode that unlocks many additional menus including 4x3 aspect ratio.

I'll investigate that and report back. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by user181; 09-09-2020 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

Well, I've done my research as well as hands-on testing, and it seems that this used to be possible, but not anymore in the latest versions of the firmware. There was an option in one of the secret menus called "enable selecting all resolutions" but it's been removed.

It's disappointing, especially because there isn't a technical reason that this option can't be there, as it's all software-based.

Last edited by user181; 09-06-2020 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

So this HDV-960 will properly letterbox HDMI content when outputting to 4:3 display?
Old 09-13-2020, 09:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

That&rsquo;s my question too.
Audiokarma