Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
All my older family members tell me stories about how their TVs were constantly needing repair. They were amazed when TVs actually became reliable in the late 70's. Now people expect a new TV to work for its entire life without any repairs.
Their expectations are met - their life is now a year or two, and without repairs... cuz they cannot be fixed ; )
Old 07-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Frenchy

I remember things drifting out of whack on our early color set, like the convergence, and that annoying sound buzz when white lettering appeared on the screen. Things you would generally put up without calling for the service guy until it got horrible. I don't think our first color set was a roundie though, it might have been though... late 60's I think.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Custom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagosaga
Today I know that the first Raduga was a roundie too:

http://www.telesputnik.ru/archive/all/n09/54.html

Eckhard
Be sure you have a good pop-up blocker if you are going to visit that site...
Old 07-26-2006, 06:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I only had one family member that had color tv before the mid 60's. It was always neat to watch at their house during christmas, and sometimes a few ballgames. They lived in Caruthersville Mo. and we lived in Memphis TN, so not much chance to watch. We got our first color set in 1966. It was a small screen set and set on top of our big Curtis Mathes console set. By the time we got color the thrill was gone. It was like everybody else has a color set can't we get one now? That set was not very reliable, and was dead by 1971. We didn't get another color set until 1976. It was a Philco roundie that I bought from one of the local tv shops for $10.00. I still have it and it still worked last time I powerfed it up. I bought a new Magnavox star system set in 1978. That was our first new reliable set, and by then everything was in color.
So I totally missed early color, but from the people that I have talked to it was a real thrill even with the reliability issues.
Bill R
Old 07-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

I'm not questioning the relaibility issue

as a little kid , I could have cared less about the reliability issue, the fact that during the otherwise bland 50's something so marvelous as color television even existed was almost more than I could imagine. Some of those memories still remain with me today.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

as a footnote, back then you scoured the TV guide looking for any of those little boxes up in the left hand corner of the program for the word "COLOR"
Old 07-27-2006, 06:35 AM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtvman
as a footnote, back then you scoured the TV guide looking for any of those little boxes up in the left hand corner of the program for the word "COLOR"
Yes, it was the same with us. Here is a TV guide from 1968:
http://www.tvprogramme.net/60/1968/19680214.htm
and the (F) for "Farbe" ( = color) marked the broadcasts in color. As you can see there are only the Olympic games in color and a circus show. All other broadcasts were in black and white.
Here is a copy of an advertisement for one of the first color tv sets in Germany:
http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...abaT2000ad.pps
On page 7 the color tv set was advertised with the words "News reports, actual magazines and crime thrillers will be in black and white forever. Therefore this set is able to receive black and white broadcasts..."

Eckhard
Old 07-27-2006, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

An example of our |COLOR| boxes, same era.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TVGListing2.jpg (107.5 KB, 92 views)
Old 07-27-2006, 11:57 AM
console lover

Does anybody know exactly when the switch occurred from designating color broadcasts to designating B&W? I was reading TV Guide by 1971 and it had already happened by then.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

There is a good little contest there somewhere-post a page from TV Guide and have people try to guess what part of the country it is from!
Old 07-27-2006, 10:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did Russia clone CRTs like they cloned most other components or did they import them?

I've seen some very strange (to me) Russian valves and semiconductors, but never a Russian CRT.

On another note I was reading an article in a recent issue of Silicon Chip magazine about the 50th anniversary of TV in Australia the other day. It seems there were at least a few round sets B&W sets in Australia. AWA built some experimental sets in 1948 with round CRTs. According to the article the CRTs were locally made based on RCA designs. I don't know if any of these experimental sets survived. Certainly by the time TV actually started in 1956 rectangular CRTs were in use (well, they weren't as square as modern CRTs, but I wouldn't describe them as round).

Off topic, but on a sad note: Today a silver piece of crap karaoke system came through here bearing the Normende brand name. I remember some of their interesting, but rare (at least around here) TVs and Radios. I can't remember the last time I saw one though.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:36 AM
VK Member

Thread: You had to be there

Hello,

we had discussed this topic already in the thread "The impact of early color". I think it would be best to continue this older thread than starting a new one.

Color television was one of the greatest milestone in human communication technology, and the amazing and overwhelming feelings when watching color television the first time can only be compared with the emotions accompanied by the next coming milestone of this dimension. This would be levitating and beaming people from one place to another like Scotty did in Star trek - not in science fiction but in reality.

Eckhard
Old 01-03-2007, 12:48 PM
AK Member

My first Color TV show

That would be Howdy Doody at the TV station in Jackson, MS on the 17"
RCA . The station had two of these sets in a viewing room that would seat about 30 people. I was hooked. My first Color TV was a used CTC-5 out of a bar in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:16 PM
zenith mad

My first color tv...

Hi, this is my first color tv. My parents bought it in 1969. It was very uncommon seeing color televisions here in Italy until regular color broadcasting started in 1977. The interesting thing is this is a genuine handcrafted Zenith tv made for Pal B/G tv system (you may notice it completely lacks hue control). It still works quite well for its age!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Istantanea 2007-01-03 21-54-20.jpg (78.4 KB, 63 views)
Old 01-03-2007, 03:33 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritwi
Hi, this is my first color tv. My parents bought it in 1969. It was very uncommon seeing color televisions here in Italy until regular color broadcasting started in 1977. The interesting thing is this is a genuine handcrafted Zenith tv made for Pal B/G tv system (you may notice it completely lacks hue control). It still works quite well for its age!
Hi, this is really interesting! which channels do you watch in color before 1977?

Was this a commercial PAL set, U.S. export, or did somebody modified a NTSC set for PAL broadcasts?

Eckhard
Audiokarma