Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thats cool. I originally wanted a pre-1960 roundie as my first but living in this country it was never gonna happen unless I imported it.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, a very small amount of gray stuff had come out of the power transformer on my CTC-7. Cleaned up pretty easily with something like mineral spirits.

I would definitely check out that transformer, and withhold judgement in the meantime. Mine seems fine; I replaced the electrolytics before applying power, of course.

Even if that transformer has fried, a CTC-7 with usable CRT is a good buy for $100. Congrats!

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, Phil. I've read your account of your CTC-7 on your website and it was very informative as usual. I think I'll try your technique of cutting the EC cans right on the chassis. I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the transformer. I'm glad I'll have some time over the holidays to start working on it!

-Clark
Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a NOS transformer for a CTC-15 that spent the last 40+ years in a hot attic. It seems to have "sweated out" something similiar to that.

Great find...great Hallicrafters clock, too!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Administrator

My 7 also has that gunk leaking out of the transformer, it works fine though.
I think it just creeps like a Glacier over 50 years time and starts to drip.
Audiokarma
Old 12-16-2011, 12:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
My 7 also has that gunk leaking out of the transformer, it works fine though.
I think it just creeps like a Glacier over 50 years time and starts to drip.
I'll say ditto to that. My 7 also had that gray gunk running down the chassis. Used some mineral spirits to clean if off. The set has been running fine after an electrolytic recap. Bob
Old 12-16-2011, 01:06 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

You should see the stuff inside the PTX, I unbolted the top cover on mine to have a look... NASTY!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for all the replies. That's very reassuring to hear that the goo doesn't mean that the transformer is fried. I'll use mineral spirits to clean it up. My plan is to recap the power supply and then do a brief power up before replacing any more caps.

My cat, Gilda, definitely approves of the new acquisition. The jury's still out on the rest of the family!

-Clark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020356.jpg (69.5 KB, 85 views)
Old 12-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Could that goo be some type of coolant, similar to what PCBs were used for in power-line transformers? (I sure hope the RCA stuff is itself not a variant of PCBs.) If it is for cooling, the minor loss seen in the pictures (and described by others here) should not affect occasional short-term use by a collector, in my opinion.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-19-2011, 10:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Could that goo be some type of coolant, similar to what PCBs were used for in power-line transformers? (I sure hope the RCA stuff is itself not a variant of PCBs.)
I wondered about PCB content, too. I'll treat it with due caution while cleaning it up.

I had a very busy weekend but I did find time to pull the chassis and give it a quick once-over. It's very clean, with minimal signs of past repairs. The date stamped on the delay line is August 13, 1958:

Here's one obvious hack repair:

The fly has some melted wax but overall looks pretty good:

I discovered that main fuse had blown, and someone used a piece of tinsel to jump it At least it would have offered some protection:

There were over thirty boxed tubes included with the set, many NOS including 2 6DQ5s. Unfortunately, the one NOS 6BK4 had gone to air:

Time to get a list of caps together. I hope to replace the electrolytics in the PS over the holidays and try a brief power up.

-Clark
Audiokarma
Old 12-19-2011, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Looks pretty good, overall.

I wonder if that tinfoil fuse had anything to do with the ocean of transformer goo?

I see that yours has a color crystal with flat metal envelope. My crystal is in a round glass envelope similar to a mini tube. Something I hadn't seen before, and I have both earlier and later RCA color sets that use the metal envelope. Perhaps mine is a replacement, or RCA was just using what was available at the moment. . . ?

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old 12-19-2011, 11:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

My CTC-9 uses a glass envelope color crystal.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Phil,

I thought the same thing about the fuse. I REALLY hope that the power transformer is OK.

That's interesting about the crystal. I haven't seen the glass style used in a TV either. I would think that it might be superior to the metal type, at least in terms of its resistance to moisture.

-Clark
Old 12-19-2011, 12:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like someone converted the power fuse to a "No-Blo" type. My CTC-9 had the same type of fuse. They are more difficult to find than the regular 3AG type so I changed the fuse holder. Now, I can still use the correct value fuse and it is much easier to find. I am not that much a purist to make this change.

That shunt regulator(?) appears to have gone to air.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:39 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Nice clean chassis! Just use a soft brush and some canned air on the PCB boards. Don't go overboard on those since they are easily cracked, especially those dark ones.
Audiokarma