Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

General Electric 10T4

Today I got the General Electric 10T4 .
my winter project for 2007 . hope it gets hear in 1 piece
The seller says he will take great care in packing it .
I dont know alot about this TV it will be the oldest in my collection .
The seller said that the CRT comes on , so it has raster and HV horizontal .
Old 10-15-2007, 01:53 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

It looks like it is in pretty good condition. If you are satisfied with the price you paid, then it was a good price. I have one of those as well, but mine had no knobs and I found a reasonable set of knobs to fit. Mine was working reasonably well, but that was in the early 1980's when I didn't know about recapping and other restoration techniques. I have not turned it on since then, and it like all of my others will get the full chassis restore "some day".
Old 10-15-2007, 03:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Does you set have a back ? this one is gone , or never came with one .
It probably had one made of masonite .
Your idea on the price makes alot of sense , Im happy with the price , actually it's still 20 bucks less than what I paid for the crosley even after it is shipped .
Its good to know that there are a few of these still around .
Old 10-15-2007, 05:34 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Assuming it gets there intact & the CRT is OK, you did fine. Actually, pretty nice score !
Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Gizmo Nut

Nice old set,,,, good deal!!
Dan
Audiokarma
Old 10-15-2007, 02:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

The GE 10T4 is basically the same set as the Locomotive except for the cabinet. If i recall right the knob shafts are a different length due to the cabinet style but otherwise the same chassis wise. These are decent playing sets once restored. I have the 806 which is similar to yours except it has a rounded top style cabinet. From what i've heard from other owners (and including me), all of theirs worked somewhat when they got them and only needed a recap. Mine was an easy restoration electronically. All thats left for me to do to mine is to find an unbroken front glass for it. Nice find and i think you did well as long as it makes it to you in one piece. Keep us updated.
-Tony
Old 10-15-2007, 04:51 PM
<-- Me and my "first" TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony V View Post
The GE 10T4 is basically the same set as the Locomotive except for the cabinet.
Yeah! Now get yourself a "Locomotive" and display the two together. Then ya really got something!

--Dave
Old 10-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube TV View Post
Does you set have a back ? this one is gone , or never came with one .
I do not think mine has a back, but several of my old TVs are missing their backs.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

General Electric 10T4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Assuming it gets there intact & the CRT is OK, you did fine. Actually, pretty nice score !
The seller said it lit up , how bright I dont know ? How hard is it to find a spare 10FP4 ?
Sandy G your right there , Assuming it get here intact , that is a big concern .
I was worried about the back of the neck on the CRT , it looked close to the back of the cabinet , I hope it dont get knocked off .
ChrisW6ATV how far is your CRT neck from the back of the cabinet ?
It seems like not a bad deal considering it only cost 30.00 to ship , I was suprised that it was that low .
Dave S your right , the 10T1 locomotive would definently look nice sitting beside it , perhaps my next purchase
Or a Motorola VT-71 .
Old 03-13-2018, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I know this is an old thread but I figured it was a good place to start. A relative of mine just came to be in possession of a GE 10T4. It had been sitting in a basement (elevated at least, not n the floor). I don’t know if it powers n or works at all. The insulation on the cord is rotting away. I would want to replace the cord before plugging it in to see if it works.

From a little bit of Googling (that’s how I ended up here) I found that it’s from around 1949-1951, give or take. The interesting part, at least for me, is that this was in Bridgeport, CT, literally a couple of miles up the road from the massive former GE plant. My father actually worked there for a couple of years around the early 70s. I don’t know if GE made TVs in Bridgeport. I think they made small appliances there, but it would be cool if it was actually made there.

So I have a couple of questions. 1. Does anyone know if GE made the 10T4s in Bridgeport? 2. Can I tell by the serial number where/when it was made? 3. What might it be worth, in both non-working and working condition?

As soon as I can get a picture uploaded, I’ll post one, or two.
Audiokarma
Old 03-13-2018, 08:27 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Welcome. Someone else here will have to answer your particular questions, but I just wanted to give you a general warning about firing up the set even if you do replace the line cord. Capacitors in old electronics deteriorate over the years. They are easily replaceable (but requires knowledge of how to read a schematic and do soldering). If the old ones fail, they can burn out other parts that are much harder to obtain. So, if you really intend to restore the set and see it working, better to do some parts replacements before you try to turn it on.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldTV View Post
I know this is an old thread but I figured it was a good place to start. A relative of mine just came to be in possession of a GE 10T4. It had been sitting in a basement (elevated at least, not n the floor). I don’t know if it powers n or works at all. The insulation on the cord is rotting away. I would want to replace the cord before plugging it in to see if it works.

From a little bit of Googling (that’s how I ended up here) I found that it’s from around 1949-1951, give or take. The interesting part, at least for me, is that this was in Bridgeport, CT, literally a couple of miles up the road from the massive former GE plant. My father actually worked there for a couple of years around the early 70s. I don’t know if GE made TVs in Bridgeport. I think they made small appliances there, but it would be cool if it was actually made there.

So I have a couple of questions. 1. Does anyone know if GE made the 10T4s in Bridgeport? 2. Can I tell by the serial number where/when it was made? 3. What might it be worth, in both non-working and working condition?

As soon as I can get a picture uploaded, I’ll post one, or two.
GE was such a big concern and had so many plants, if was hard to figure what was up.
Bridgeport was actually the housewares plant. Items like toasters, irons etc.
Radios were handled as part of housewares.
TV's, no matter what size were part of major appliances. You couldn't get parts for GE radio's, at their parts distributors for TV's which was company owned.
The radio parts had to be purchased at third-party concerns, such as small appliance repair shops that handled mainly GE products.
They couldn't be like RCA, Zenith, Motorola and a few others.
Sometimes, firms get a little too big.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just wanted to add that GE model in nice complete condition would probably be worth about $100-$150. On the higher side if the CRT was tested as good. Electronic restorations on vintage TV's are labor-intensive so one completely done and working well would likely be in the $350 area. You rarely find any elec. restored vintage TV's under that.
I really like the narrow 10" TV's. I have the "locomotive" and it's wooden counterpart. Both are very good reliable players and have nice lines. Interesting about the Bridgeport plant. It's just across the LI Sound from me!
Old 03-15-2018, 08:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Was it manufactured in Syracuse?
Old 03-16-2018, 10:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
Was it manufactured in Syracuse?
It's hard to say when they started there!
Electronics Park, The World's Center for Electronics Progress.
Large plant! A lot of Government work was done there as well, Radar and early generation computers.
Audiokarma