Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-02-2003, 11:57 PM
auscultator inveterasco

Hallicrafters S-52

I haven't a clue about these types of units. I have one available to me and am wondering if it is a good one and what I can expect to pick up on it. Any idea as to value, not that it really matters, just curious. What type of antennea will I need...you know all the dumb newbie questions. Basically I just want to pick up Rugby from Oz
All there is to life is beer and music.... Well, family too, but they are where the beer and music is. Work? That's just to get me to the weekend.... where the beer, music and family are. Like I said, those are the important things.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:27 AM
<- My Yamaha Gear and Me

From Chuck Dachis' 1996 book, "Radios by Hallicrafters":

8 tubes, four bands, .54-44MHz, with band spread , BFO, ANL, and built in speaker, power is 120 or 240 volts AC or DC...
25Z5 rectifier, 25L6 audio output, 6SC7 1st audio and BFO, 6H6 2nd detector and & ANL, 6sK7 1st IF, 6SK7 2nd IF, 6SA7 oscillator and mixer, and 6SG7 RF amplifier, originally sold for $99.50.

Price guide lists it as $75 to $95

It's very similar to an S-40 that I once had, not a bad radio, but still an old single conversion receiver that should be fun to play with, but not really a "serious" communications receiver.

But, as with any radio 50 years old, parts have drifted in value and it's performance can be ramped up a notch by selective replacement of out of spec caps, resistors, etc....

As far as antennas go, a long wire strung around the place ought to get you a bunch of signals to play with....just be sure to ground the unit and check the AC for polarity....I once got a pretty good jolt from my S-40 and have always checked for AC potential to ground ever since!

Good luck and have fun!