Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

What I Like...

is flat screen CRTs. Not many people like them because they're deep being around a 70 degree deflection tube (much like the very first CRTs).
Old 05-07-2016, 10:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Two CRT sets I bought new (79 GE, 90 XBR) needed repairs within a couple years, neither of my Panasonic Plasmas (2008, 2014) has had an issue. Neither did the 2005 Sony LCD Rear Projector. (replaced by the Plasma)

I have a 2007 Samsung LCD that I got with a bad PS cap and repaired, it's been running fine since 2011.

My two HP LCD Monitors from 2007 have never had a problem and they probably get more use than the TV's, the one I'm using now has 13,000 hours on the back light, the monitor itself is always on.

Older CRT sets were probably more easily repaired and parts more available, but that has more to do with the manufacturing process than anything else.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:52 PM
<----Zenith C845

One problem flat-screen TVs with LED backlights cannot have is inverter failure, as LED backlights do not need an inverter as do FPs with CCFLs in that position. That's one less thing to worry about going bad.

VK member andy makes a very good point regarding the reliability of flat screen TVs. I agree with him that the reliabilty issue has been overblown. As I have mentioned before in previous posts, my Insignia 19" LCD flat screen is five years old now (it was manufactured in May 2011) and is still working every bit as well as it did the day I bought it. I am expecting it to last a few more years, but if it doesn't, I have my 20-year-old Zenith Sentry 2 ready to replace it.

I think flat screens, which have been with us now for some time and have all but completely replaced CRT sets in American and Canadian homes, have come a very long way from the very first ones, which often did fail within two years or less (!) of initial purchase. Today's FPs, except the very cheap no-name ones (Polaroid, Element, Craig, et al.) found at CVS, Rite Aid or bargain-basement discount stores, are much more reliable, with most issues stemming from design flaws and/or from the use of very cheap (read $.05 or even less) capacitors and other parts. These are much more likely to be damaged beyond repair by lightning strikes and other electrical hazards, although any TV (FP or CRT), even the expensive large-screen ones, or other electronic device can be damaged by a close strike and certainly by a direct hit on the AC line from which the set is powered, or a strike on a cable line, although of course the cable box (if used) will likely be damaged first if lightning hits the cable.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:08 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
BUT....with all of the negative baggage that comes with DTV....there is ONE advantage...a WHOLE lot more channels !! I have a LOT of vintage tv channels in this area...Me tv, COZI, THIS, Movies channel, Decades, Grit, Get-tv Comet , Buzzr,and Bounce. Not ONE was available on Analog tv. I watch these channels MORE than ANY others..PERIOD !! Yes--DTV is finicky, troublesome and not great picture detail...BUT it is the ONLY way--to get this many OTA channels...which I have LONG gotten used to.
Yeah, I agree that is one positive thing with DTV. I live in Tiltonsville, OH, moved here to be closer to my gradeschool buddy after I lost my mother in 2013. I live in the Ohio River Valley and I only get two TV station over the air, but at least both have 1 main channel and 2 subchannels. WTRF in Wheeling on 7 carries CBS as their main channel and they have ABC on a subchannel and another channel as well. ABC does not come into the valley too well since the closest affiliate is in Pittsburgh and WTAE, channel 4, does go far very well. The other station is WTOV, channel 9, in Steubenville, I get NBC, Fox and MeTV on there. MeTV is what I watch 90% of the time.
Audiokarma
Old 05-19-2016, 03:31 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
Yeah, I agree that is one positive thing with DTV. I live in Tiltonsville, OH, moved here to be closer to my gradeschool buddy after I lost my mother in 2013. I live in the Ohio River Valley and I only get two TV station over the air, but at least both have 1 main channel and 2 subchannels. WTRF in Wheeling on 7 carries CBS as their main channel and they have ABC on a subchannel and another channel as well. ABC does not come into the valley too well since the closest affiliate is in Pittsburgh and WTAE, channel 4, does go far very well. The other station is WTOV, channel 9, in Steubenville, I get NBC, Fox and MeTV on there. MeTV is what I watch 90% of the time.
You can still get all three major networks since channel 7 carries CBS, channel 9 is NBC, and channel 7 has a subchannel that carries ABC, so you don't have to worry about whether or not the ABC affiliate in Pittsburgh reaches your house. I don't know whether you can get PBS where you are (I think the closest PBS affiliate to you might be WQED in Pittsburgh), but since PBS affiliates are usually much weaker than commercial TV stations, the Pittsburgh affiliate may not reach you unless you have a powerful antenna.

BTW, I was glad to see your post, as I often wonder how you are since your mother died and you moved to southeastern Ohio three years ago.

Also, I hope your cats are OK. My own cat, Kiki, is going to be ten years old very soon (I've never been sure exactly when she was born, only that it was some time in 2006; I got her from an animal shelter near here when she was just three), and is doing quite well; affectionate, likes to stay close to me every chance she gets, and so on. I couldn't ask for a nicer cat.

I was thinking about you the other evening when I was watching my 20-year-old Zenith 19" CRT TV (I wanted to see if it still works, as I don't use it much anymore since getting my flat screen set in 2011).

Do you still have your Zenith console you had when you were at the other house, and if so, how is it working now? Those older Zeniths were built like tanks. My CRT set is living proof of that. I've had it 20 years, and it still works every bit as well as when it was new in 1995. Even has its original CRT, which still makes an excellent picture. I mention the tube because my set was made during the era when Zenith televisions had "bad" CRTs that would short after about two years, taking the video output and at least one other circuit at roughly the same time.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've been seeing a lot of cheap LCD sets with bad LED backlights, so I've got my doubts that they'll last longer than CCFL backlights. These have all been under 3 years old (some only just outside of warranty). In these sets the backlight is one string of LEDs in series, so when one fails open the whole panel goes dark. I've yet to attempt to repair the backlight itself. I get enough of these sets with cracked LCDs that I just swap the entire backlight.

I've got quite a few 10+ year old panels with CCFL backlights that are still going strong (though I do have a stash of replacement inverter transformers for a couple that I'm particularly fond of).

LED failures aren't restricted to TV backlights. I was in a building recently full of those 3 LED downlights and every room had at least one out.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

CRT TV vs. flat screen image quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post

LED failures aren't restricted to TV backlights. I was in a building recently full of those 3 LED downlights and every room had at least one out.

But, but, but... LEDs are supposed to last forever, aren't they? They told us we will never have to replace them. They told us they are the wonderful, magic, perfect, green solution that will save the planet and cure all the ills of the world.

Seriously, though, I have observed the exact same thing. I've also noticed their brightness fade over time.

In my house, I joke that we have a reverse incandescent light bulb ban -- anything that ISN'T incandescent is forbidden.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

LED lighting is awesome, but like any commercially made product there's variations in qa/qc which can affect your experience. I personally wouldn't specify anything else for new construction in most instances.

I hoarded incandescent bulbs when they announced the ban, not because they're superior but because I didn't agree with the government telling people what they can't and can't buy.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Those 3 LED halogen replacement bulbs may well be a particularly cheap/poor quality type - likely supplied to the building for free under some government energy saving initiative. At least they're easy enough to replace.

I don't like the ones that are sealed and the whole fixture has to be replaced when it fails (and by a licensed electrician, at least officially).

I've actually repaired a couple that were flickering by resoldering dry joints on the driver board, but to get at the board I had to drill out all the rivets.
Audiokarma
Old 05-22-2016, 08:07 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1
At any rate, you won't see me with a phlat pannel set. I detest them.
Good for you........ I get dizzy looking @ most of them.... THEY ARE AWEFUL!!
Old 05-23-2016, 03:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Has anyone seen the new OLED displays from LG? Astounding. Best picture I've ever seen.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Agreed! still a bit concerned about the life of the blue emitters, but the prices are comming down... likely my next tv will be OLED.

jr
Old 05-23-2016, 11:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
The only way I can explain it would be this. Suppose your entire life, you have driven body-on-frame American cars such as a Ford Crown Victoria. Now, Ford Crown Victorias are no longer made, but you still cling to them. Now suppose everybody is driving Honda Lunchboxes and Smarts, and the entire population of the planet is pressuring you into getting one. I CANNOT handle change in this way.
Me to a T. in 2004 I wanted a new car. I was all GM & one Studebaker.
6 years before GM killed the B body ( Roadmaster, Caprice, Vista
Cruiser etc.). So I had to go to Ford & Merc. Now you cant get them
either NOT due to Ford but guess who ? There are lots of them
& B bodies around but nobody will sell them. You gotta wait for
someone to die then compete with the kids wanting a 15 second car
out of the box that weighs over 2 tons.

73 Zeno
Audiokarma