Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Old TVs are better!

It was bound to happen, I had it on, when my friend Jamie "jstout" was over here, had an ok picture, ran it a while, looked back and all it had was a dim blur on the screen. Got back into it, and luckily the problem was minor. R173 a 1 watt 4.5 Meg resistor coming off of the HV adjustment had opened up, causing the 6BD4/6BK4 regulator tube to conduct real heavy causing the HV to drop way down to around 15KV. Luckily it didn't hurt the flyback or the tubes in the HV section. Getting my hands down into the HV cage was a challenge as I didn't want to pull the entire chassis again. I had to actually clip out the bad resistor, and I tacked the new one on the end terminal of the HV control, running a jumper wire to the other end, where the old resistor was. It's now working again. If I ever have to pull the chassis in the future though, I will put the resistor back into it's original place, but since it only has like 165 volts across it, a jumper wire sufficed. Actually the HV regulates much better than it did before, and doesn't pull in from the sides near as much with increases of brightness. Tried to touch up the convergence but I don't think I will ever get it perfect. It's close but wish I could get it better. In the photo of the HV section, you can see where the resistor was as I temporarily had red and yellow alligator clips clips on to where the resistor belongs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0217.jpg (85.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0244.jpg (68.3 KB, 161 views)
Old 08-01-2016, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good show!
Old 08-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Old TVs are better!

For those wondering about the shadow at the top of the screen, it's just a reflection from my fluorescent light above. I should have turned it off before taking the picture.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
For those wondering about the shadow at the top of the screen, it's just a reflection from my fluorescent light above. I should have turned it off before taking the picture.
Great pic regardless of light . I find that I need to shoot my CTC-4 in total darkness to get good pics because it has a CRT with the original phosphor screen that looks dark green instead of silver-gray color, and is not too bright. It's in the basement so it's not a problem.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
That a great shot Walter. Love to see that again with the light turned off. :-)
Old 03-25-2019, 08:13 PM
Old TVs are better!

For those who is wondering what happened to this set 21CT55, I sold it to another collector in working condition.