Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Philco 48-1201 "Bing Crosby" record player

This Philco model 48-1201 "Bing Crosby" AM radio/78 rpm record player has been at my local flea market for years and it belonged to one of the vendors who is not too wild about coming off of his prices. The thing is not perfect; but, looks better than most of the ones that I've seen. However, the $85 price tag always seemed to hold me back. Today, I talked to the owner about it and he said he'd see what he could do on the price. He ended up giving me the standard 10% discount, which brought it down to $76.50 + tax which brought it up to $81.85. OK, I know. I probably paid too much, right?

All that I've done was lift the top to determine what model this is, as they made a '46 and a '48 version. The only difference I see between the two is that the '46 version uses an electrodynamic speaker and large IF transformers. The '48 model uses a PM speaker and the smaller IF transformers. While under there, I noticed that the dial string is broken. And, I'm sure the radio chassis and phono mechanism will need the usual attention (new power cord, new caps, new idler wheel, new cartridge, etc).

Now, a question for those of you who have restored these models. Did you use a modern ceramic cartridge or did you have the old flat crystal cartridge rebuilt?

This makes 3 players of this type that I own. The one I just bought today, a '46 version, and a modified '48 version with some added features for "talking book" playback (33/78 rpm, a tone arm lift, and a device for placing the tonearm anywhere on the record). The other two are not in near as good of condition as this one and both of them are currently torn apart in a box, waiting on me to get back on them. I probably won't tear in to my newest one until I have time to work on it from start to finish.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure on '48 model, but, by '49 it went to miniature I F 's.
They are troublesome.
Also, seems to have some problem with primary of audio output transformer shorting to chassis, and, burning up.
The fil. resistor in all of these tends to short to bracket, and, will cause a hum problem. Also have seen them blow out, going open.
Price seems a little high, but, you are saving on shipping, and, that may well make up for the over cost.
Hope this helps.
Bill Cahill
Old 01-01-2011, 05:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Why is this model called the "Bing Crosby" model?
Old 01-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

Because their magazine ads always had him representing them.
Bill Cahill
Old 01-01-2011, 07:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice pix of the Bing Crosby ad at this restoration website:
http://www.radioremembered.org/Philco46-1201.html
jr
Audiokarma
Old 02-24-2011, 04:50 PM
M is for Memory

I got one for 15$ a year or two ago at a radio swap meet in sarasota florida. The seller had two one with minor photo finish issues and one with worse photo finish issues both for the same price. I'll let you guess which one I bought. Reading this post makes me realize just how good of a deal I got. Once I dig mine out of storage I'm going to do a full resto. This model is one of the five coolest Philco radio-phonos that I've seen with my own eyes (I own four of those five, I'll let you guess which five).

Tom C.