Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
[/IMG]

Can't produce a photo, but saved this:

The ad is from a department store in downtown Milwaukee. There one could see all the brands together, such as RCA, Zenith, Magnavox, Sylanvia, Philco, etc; etc;. It was an exciting time. I researched color sets starting in 1965, driving all over town from store to store to trying to view every possible set, but the best way was in the department stores where one could see many brands side by side for comparison. Ended up buying an RCA 19 inch CTC 19 consolette in 1966 brand new. Very exciting because it was my first color set and the new programming season went 100% color in prime time.

I remember the new set smell. Very distinctive, fresh, new smell. I think it was from the rubber wire insulation. It was also in the new high end audio equipment I purchased.

Most recently, when I found my first Sony KVX 370 Indextron several years ago, it had that same "new smell". I thought "this is going to be special" and it was. :-)

Found this: [IMG][/IMG] Courtesy: Stock Photo

[IMG][/IMG] Courtesy Glenn Edward Waters

[IMG][/IMG]

These last three photos do not represent the look and feel of my shopping experience.
That was one of the stores, I was referring to. The downtown Boston Store.
They had the second largest TV and radio department, Schusters, being the largest!
Boston Store's private label was AMC for TV's, radios and appliances. A lot of their electronic products were sourced by Wells Gardner and a few others.
They became a so-called Magnavox "Salon" in the late 60's or so. After that, the only make they sold was Magnavox.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:35 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPegs View Post
I should see if there's a mass-spec at a local Educational Edifice that could possibly analyze it. I'd seriously be interested in reproducing it. On the one hand it could be misused by adding it to a not genuine electronic device. On the other I'd be curious what kind of people it would attract when used cologne/perfume style. I may be onto something here. I'll bottle it and name it "Thermionic Musk." Who's with me?
Go for it!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-07-2014, 07:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
How many do you want? I have mostly Rock music. I have a nice component deck as well to go with the tapes. I will add some smoke smell if the price is right!
Thanks for the offer. But without my leisure suit, disco ball, and my original hair color (and a little more of my hair) it just wouldn't be the same. LOL
Old 08-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Look, guys... I'm VERY sorry to have "Thread-Crapped" this one earlier. But, I'm kinda "Partial" to you fellows, I'd HATE to see you go thru what my Mom did... THAT'S why the anti-smoking lecture...
Old 08-08-2014, 01:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm surprised that nobody noticed in that super cool display of round c.r.t. is something that to me looks way out of place. In the upper right is a set with a rectangular c.r.t. that is reminiscent of a Trinitron, and the set looks like something from the 80s like a Panasonic. Strange! I was going to say that it must be a rectangular 19" black and white, but its a color display.

Did someone Photoshop that image perhaps or am I just way off base?
Old 08-08-2014, 06:44 AM
johnny the raster master!

I wasn't around to enjoy that sadly, but im sure a lot of people around my house did, because a few streets over there is kings electronics. They have been there since the late 40s, and they still sell tubes and parts

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
I'm surprised that nobody noticed in that super cool display of round c.r.t. is something that to me looks way out of place. In the upper right is a set with a rectangular c.r.t. that is reminiscent of a Trinitron, and the set looks like something from the 80s like a Panasonic. Strange! I was going to say that it must be a rectangular 19" black and white, but its a color display.

Did someone Photoshop that image perhaps or am I just way off base?
Perhaps that display is a recreation. The set does look out of place.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
"That was one of the stores, I was referring to. The downtown Boston Store.
They had the second largest TV and radio department, Schusters, being the largest!
Boston Store's private label was AMC for TV's, radios and appliances. A lot of their electronic products were sourced by Wells Gardner and a few others.
They became a so-called Magnavox "Salon" in the late 60's or so. After that, the only make they sold was Magnavox. "

I remember Schusters. Gimbals department store was big also. Their Southgate store had a particularly large display of color sets. I spent hours and many visits trying to decide. For some reason, the Magnavoxs looked very good. Think there was Popular Science write up saying Magnavox had the most realistic color for 1966.

Last edited by etype2; 08-08-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Not sure how I got here.

So was Wells Gardner the largest tv manufacturer in the US.....?

Thinking about all those different department stores with private
label sets.....

Wow Wells Gardner website has a nice collection of schematics for their
monitors, CRT and Flat panels..... Worth a look and maybe a quick
grab of a few.... If the IC is used in yer tv, it will be somewhat similar
here on that WG set.

Last edited by Username1; 08-08-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Look, guys... I'm VERY sorry to have "Thread-Crapped" this one earlier. But, I'm kinda "Partial" to you fellows, I'd HATE to see you go thru what my Mom did... THAT'S why the anti-smoking lecture...
I understand, Sandy. I quit 25 years ago this coming Thanksgiving and will never smoke ANYTHING again. Sorry that your Mom suffered so. Hope the message is well taken as a suggestion for others to quit cigarettes.
Kevin
Old 08-08-2014, 04:35 PM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromberg6 View Post
I understand, Sandy. I quit 25 years ago this coming Thanksgiving and will never smoke ANYTHING again. Sorry that your Mom suffered so. Hope the message is well taken as a suggestion for others to quit cigarettes.
Kevin
I switched to e-cigs briefly around 2010/2011, then back to nails sometime in late 2011. Then in July 2012 I got a real e-cig, instead of the early generation toys I had the first time around...

I enjoy my nicotine very much thank you, but I'll pass on the cancer and the morning lung-butter.

Advice for anyone trying to quit: Don't even consider the $20 toys you can buy at gas stations. Get a real one and buy enough cigarettes for ~4 weeks. By the time you quit you'll probably still have a few packs left anyway.(I still have two full packs of my last carton.) I don't advise going cold-turkey from nails to vape though, mix both, and run a slightly higher nicotine liquid for the first month so that your brain associates the e-cig with a bigger chemical reward than the nails and in a few days you'll stop reaching for your fire and the e-cig will never leave your reach.

Also, don't buy "cigarette" flavored liquid. It doesn't even come close to what you're used to. To break the habit pick some flavor you like, and run that. Banana is acceptable to most. If your nails are of the menthol variety, you're in luck. Menthol is easy to do and the switch-over isn't nearly as hard. Spearmint is good too. Strawberry is hard to pull off in an e-liquid. Watermelon sounds good but holy cow does it make me from the flavor. Vanilla is nice, but it tends to gum up the equipment, I don't recommend it until you're familiar with your new e-cig.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi NoPegs, It's a real hard battle to get away from "smoke". Happy you found something that works for you.
I still miss a Marlboro Red from a soft pack when sipping good Scotch lol.
Also, nothing came close to a FATIMA plain end back in the day (Turkish weed). Really liked GOOD plain end cigs.
Kevin
Old 08-08-2014, 09:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

i had a heart attack 2 days before my 48th birthday 3 bypasses and i will be 54 next Saturday havens smoked a cigarette since 11:30 pm the night i had the heart attack. it didn't really bother me to quit. now it is one of the nastiest smells on earth. and i was not a heavy smoker.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I took a year of TV-Radio servicing at the local Community College about 1981-82, both of my instructors were old TV guys and they both smoked in their office every chance they got. The younger of the two was diagnosed with lung cancer during that year and he was absent a lot. He came back for a little while and was absent again. I could tell he wasn't doing very well. He had lost weight and was coughing a lot.

Sadly, he died from lung cancer before the end of the school year. It was all the other instructor could do to hold back his emotions when he announced the death to the class. It made quite an impression on all of us.

Stromberg6's comment on Marlboro Red reminded me of the pungent smell of my dad's Marlboros in his 1951 Plymouth on the way home, picking me from kindergarten in 1963-64. He eventually quit a year or so later, but that smell will always be something I remember. I normally don't like the smell of cigarettes, but in that car they smelled different.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

The ONLY smoking i have EVER done--was when I was about 6 years old...and was curious about my dad's pipe and cigar. so, no DOUBT to prevent me from EVER picking up smoking...he lit a pipe...and had ME put it in my mouth. All seemed ok, till he told me to "suck on it". I did that..and about GAGGED !! The SAME thing...with the cigar. That took care of smoking for ME.

I USED to be a LOT more able to tolerate people smoking around me..but the older I get..the MORE it bothers me.
Audiokarma