Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I sure don't miss the smell of all the places around town where smoking used to be common...but I do miss the smell of our hometown GE/Zenith dealer, Evey's TV. I have a few things that came from there when he retired and you can still take a whiff and be transported back!
Old 08-05-2014, 08:54 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I'd LOVE to have all you smokers talk to my Mom... But you CAN'T-She died Aug 208 from COPD, & Emphysema. She smoked from the time she was 15, about 1940, till '77, when she was hypnotized. But the damage was already done. She "Lit one offa one" for most of the 1st 20 yrs of my life. COPD/Emphysema is a nice little disease-Just kills you a LITTLE each day, nothing to bother you with, really... Until you realize that shortness of breath makes you wheeze like you just ran a marathon trying to get from yr bed to the bathroom...
I've seen the effects of that, yikes. My mom fortunately uses inhalers now, and never chain-smoked. Kind of counter-intuitive that I didn't get into that or drinking, considering that I grew up around those who did both in excess.

"It's an unhealthy habit I don't encourage in others son. Get smart; give it up by not taking it up". Dan Aykroyd, a.k.a. Joe Friday, Dragnet, 1987.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Let's just say I DON'T have a very good feeling towards tobacco.. Even though it fed, clothed, educated, & provided me a soft, cushy life... It took my Mom from me.. THAT I can NEVER forgive.. Never will forget seeing her in her coffin...It was about this time..The "Hard" look was gone from her face... She looked like the "Winnie" we all knew & loved, that had been absent for SO long.. Her little hands weren't swollen anymore...DON'T smoke.. If you do, STOP. Period. End of discussion..
Old 08-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Anyway, while I don't remember any distinctive TV shop smell, I was in Tel-Star drooling over a console once, no idea what brand it was. The shop sold appliances too, didn't realize until I found an old Polaroid of mine with the shop sign in the background. I guess my semi-BPC 1989 19" color set was unsatisfactory to me even back then. I was stoked to get that 19" set though, I hated my B&W Admiral so much I took it apart even before I got my own color set as I recall.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:31 PM
M is for Memory

Third time I'm trying to type the exact same set of thoughts that login expiration erased twice on trying to post while at work this afternoon.

I've always associated tube electronics most strongly with the smell of cherry pipe tobacco and found it to be a pleasant scent. The tech that gave me the knowledge to go from collector to restorer smoked it. His shop and the tube radios he had for sale had that smell to them as did some sets I had acquired before then. My grandpa Ed smoked the same stuff too.

It should come as no surprise that when I realized I was old enough to smoke I quickly moved to cherry pipe tobacco. I know it's not the best for my health so I try to keep it to once a week and I've refrained for over a month at times...But tend to crank it up to ~4 times a week when college gets rough. I figure it's very low risk compared to those folks who like to smoke chains. I don't get addicted this way and the nicotine high is easier to achieve when I'm not dulling it's effects by having it too often.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 08-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Motorola Minion

Ah pipe smoke. My first job in a shop was w/a 60 yr old WW II vet who was in France, had a real sense of humor was winding down but knew GE faults thoroughly. Came in at 11 sharp went on the road from 1:30 on and that was it. His favorite trick was to make noises just when I plugged in a set.

Still some of his 57-69 GE fact'r'y manuals and if I catch a whiff of pipe tobacco in them anymore, Im in that shop again, with the tube boxes facing me from the back wall and a KE chassis likely on the bench. Burkum Riff something it was called, black pouch. It added atmosphere to the dusty relics of a once-upon-a-time 4-man shop.

Was not much fun riding from home and back close to the ashtray in the service wagon, Dodge Colt, a three diamonds product. The tube caddy reeked when we took it in the homes.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Getting back to the "tv smell"...

I have LONG noticed that vintage RCA sets-- back to at least the CTC5 era ..this includes console stereos too--have 'their own smell". I can't really describe this--it is NOT a bad smell, but a UNIQUE one. Not really a metallic odor, not a wood odor. Just that ol' "RCA SMELL" .
Old 08-06-2014, 03:00 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtvsandtoy View Post
what does any of this have to do with color tv?

Well if your old enough buying a color tv back in the day was a really big deal and the smell from the new sets enhanced the buying experience much like the new car smell does for buying cars and trucks. People had to lay out a lot of cash back in the day and the whole process was a lot more exciting than buying anything today in electronics.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:14 AM
Banned

Ok got to know, would this not be the case for buying your first b&w too? High cost and not much on?
Old 08-06-2014, 07:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Sony colour set my Mam (or Mom, vowels move around in regional English English) had a characteristic warmish smell, quite pleasant. Talking of pipe smell: I could always tell when Uncle Reg had come for a visit as you could smell his pipe as soon as you walked in the door & for hours after he'd gone. Mam was a heavy smoker & she got lung cancer, it reduced a strong Woman to an invalid, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. When I see teens smoking it makes me feel so sad for them. BTW I've never smoked..
Audiokarma
Old 08-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
Getting back to the "tv smell"...

I have LONG noticed that vintage RCA sets-- back to at least the CTC5 era ..this includes console stereos too--have 'their own smell". I can't really describe this--it is NOT a bad smell, but a UNIQUE one. Not really a metallic odor, not a wood odor. Just that ol' "RCA SMELL" .
........... that was "RCA tube tobacco" yer tube sets were smokin'.......
Old 08-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Far too often I click on a thread thinking it's new, only to find it's been on going for a while,
or even more than a year, and I've been missing something good.........
I start reading from page 2, then go backwards.....

Sandy; Tell me where I can get yer first book, and by now I assume yer well into
yer second, so please post a link when it's out.....

Old 08-06-2014, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
........... that was "RCA tube tobacco" yer tube sets were smokin'.......
Not so..Their SS sets have the same smell usually. So--it is not tube heat--and this is noticeable even when the set is OFF, if you remove the back or such...

It may INDEED have something to do with the wood cabinets--not sure the plastic ones do it...
Old 08-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

My earliest remembrances of my Mom was curled up on her lap/chest-HARD to believe I was EVER that small-nursing a milk bottle, while she & my Dad watched Huntley-Brinkley Report on NBC, on the big Zenith B/W. The "Den" was quite small, & that Zenith was a 24 or maybe a 27", FULL of tubes, & IT could certainly "Fog" up the room. She didn't smoke when I was layin' on her like that, well as I recall. She was a TINY woman, I could pick her up by the time I was 11-12 or so, put her on my hip, & stomp thru the house w/her squallin', screechin', laughin' to PUT ME DOWN !! Oh, to be able to do that just one more time...
Old 08-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Fog up the room huh? Oh man, imagine what a place with a TV like that would do to my glasses when stepping inside on a cold day.
Audiokarma