Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Nipper Rules

good luck with the set Charlie, nice find.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:46 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Looks like the same exact knob for a 9. This is my 9 knob to compare
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03544.JPG (108.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03545.JPG (108.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 PM
On Land

Yes, that's the knob. God it made me sick to lose it... and it was really nice looking.

Okay, I will check out that bumble bee on the IF board. I haven't taken the cover off the IF section yet, but will get in there and swap it out.

I've noticed how some of the info in the Sams folder seemed questionble. Thanks for the heads up on that. I am well stocked with original Zenith and Motorola color set schematics, but no RCA's.

I am in the process of helping a friend move, so the set is on the back burner for a couple of days. I'll post what happens next time I get into it. I found my HV probe yesterday, so I will get a reading and see where I stand there. I will probably tackle the caps in the cage next as well and check to see what kind of current is going thru there. A quick glance in the cage showed a nearly perfect looking flyback. Typcially, many of the flybacks I see in RCA's look really tired with wax all over the place. This one looks good (and also looks original).

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Charlie,

Sorry to say there was a cardboard box of vintage RCA TV knobs in original packaging at the ETF last weekend. It ws a bit buried but I noticed it. I have know idea who the vendor was.

-Steve D.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 PM
On Land

oh well... that's the way it goes, Steve. THere's been times in which I wish I would have grabbed something when I had the chance. There's another one out there... it will come along soon. It's a shame that I have so many replacement knobs still on the card... but not one for this set.

Audiokarma
Old 05-17-2012, 10:39 PM
On Land

My new orange drops came in the mail today. They've all been changed except in the color section. All I can say at this point is I have a really good raster. No signal, still. Kinda disappointing. I might break out my B&K Analyst and see if I can figure out where the problem is.

When I got my HV probe out, I was "shocked" to see that a had 30KV!! Holy high voltage, Batman! This was discovered before changing out caps. I found the HV adjust was turned all the way to the stop. When I backed it off, I was able to get it down to 25KV... which is still a little too high. I haven't noticed the HV shutting down like I did the other day... but then I haven't let the set run too long at once so far since I haven't checked the HO current yet. Just for giggles, I changed the HO tube because it looked like it had been road hard and hung dry.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:26 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Mine made about 32kv with the regulator disconnected, so you're in the ballpark. lol

Seriously though, I'd have no problem letting it run at 23-24kv. 22.5 was factory spec, the extra kick will just make a it a little brighter.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:23 AM
On Land

Had the B&K hooked up to the set tonight. I got video a signal in all IF and video circuits, so it looks like I have a tuner issue (which I don't like toying with). I will take the tuner apart tomorrow and see what I can find.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:31 AM
"Book em Dano!"

Check the tubes in the tuner. I did not check them in my maggie. It worked for a minute and completely faded to a blank raster. The Nuvistor had zero emissions and the other had a short. On those 9's, the wiring can get brittle and break off easily. I had a few on mine. The wiring for the CRT socket kept breaking off to the point that it's no longer long enough to reach the CRT. Recently I found a NOS replacement for it locally
Old 05-19-2012, 08:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Had the B&K hooked up to the set tonight. I got video a signal in all IF and video circuits, so it looks like I have a tuner issue (which I don't like toying with). I will take the tuner apart tomorrow and see what I can find.
If it's like the tuners in my CTC-11s, cleaning may be all that it needs. I'm not a fan of those tuners. Despite being cleaned at least twice, the tuner in my 11 is still funky.

When cleaning, avoid spraying all over the place. Don't use anything abrasive on the contacts. I use Q-tips (or whatever) dipped in DeOxit. Some people use a different brand of cleaner, some follow the cleaning with something else to rinse. There are many theories and practices to choose from, when it comes to cleaning contacts.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Audiokarma
Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 PM
On Land

I have determined that I have a shorted 10mmf capacitor going from pin 9 of the osc to ground. Resistance readings for pins 9, 8, 6, and 3 should be infinite... and yet I get 200 ohms on 9, 6k ohms on 8, 7k ohms on 3, and 8k ohms on 6. After studying the diagram, it seemed pretty clear that the little cap at pin 9 must be the culprit.

However, the damn thing is so far in there that I can even get my little cutters in there to get the cap out. I think I can manage getting a new one in, but getting the old one out seems to be a challenge.

For shits & grins, I tried calling Louis Stangle in Longview, Texas... he's the guy that repairs tuners and I've heard good comments in the past from people here at VK. Unfortunately, all the numbers listed on the site are disconnected, and there is no email address listed in the site. From what I understand, this man is in his 70's. I certainly hope he hasn't expired.

On a longshot, I tried calling Moyer's to see if they had a tuner for it. They can really surprise you with some of the old stock they've got, but didn't have what I was looking for. He said most shops sent tuners off to be repaired instead of ordering new ones.

Sooo... I'm back to trying to figure out how to get my fingers in there to do what I need to do. If I could at least get one side of that cap disconnected, I could verify my suspissions about it being shorted.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:32 PM
On Land

After jacking around with this tuner for a while, I was able to get one side of that little capacitor disconnected. Unfortunately, it did not correct the problem I was having with the resistance readings on pins 9, 8, 6, and 3. So, either I have something else in there that's shorted/grounded, OR, the imformation in the Sams is incorrect (and we've all found that to be more common than not from time to time).

Here's a thought.... I have a CTC11 chassis out in the garage that I know functions. Physically, I believe the tuners to be the same. Electronically, they are a little different. There's a 5 volt difference for the B+ between the two. I'm thinking about seeing if I can put the 11 tuner on this 9 chassis and see what I can get.

I welcome any input regarding this swap.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:17 PM
On Land

If you're in a pinch, a tuner out of an 11 will work in a 9. The body of the 11 tuner was a little shorter, so only one screw hole lined up for mounting on the chassis. Other than that, it fit pretty good.

THere were a lot of cob webs in that thing from being on the floor of the garage for the past several years... I just did a quickie clean up and stuck it in there. It actually works better than I thought it would.

Took a lot of adjusting to get a decent stable picture. Had some squiggly lines to deal with. I suspect most of it is from being dirty. I will take it out and give it a good cleaning.

At least this shows my problem was definately the tuner.

For the original tuner, I hope to find out something about the guy in Longview... I could send it to him to fix up (if he doesn't already have one on the shelf). Until then, I will likely poke around in it to see if I can figure it out myself.

If necessary, I suppose I can leave this CTC11 tuner in there, but I'd really like to get it the way it's supposed to be.

Here's a few shots after the install. The only adjustments made were the user front-panel controls. I didn't need to touch anything in the back yet. I'm surprised that the convergence is somewhat decent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-19 18.18.19.jpg (96.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-19 18.17.42.jpg (93.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-19 18.16.43.jpg (96.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-19 18.17.34.jpg (95.5 KB, 44 views)

Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Convergence looks pretty good. Nice color. I noticed that in the first picture a "Market Basket" ad. Is that a chain of grocery stores? There uses to be some in the Los Angeles area but went out of business 30 years ago. Just wondering if it could be the same chain.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, that looks great, Charlie.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Audiokarma