Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:07 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

ANother zenith roundie in the Milwaukee Area

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZENITH-21-INCH-R...QQcmdZViewItem

Missing the legs, but could be a gem for someone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zenith roundie.jpg (30.2 KB, 163 views)
Old 04-26-2008, 06:08 PM
AK Member

I emailed the guy when I first saw this and he said it was a console. So I assume it still has it's legs, but he has it up on the chairs for some reason.

I asked for more info and photos, but he does not respond.

I would like to find a reasonable way to get it here. The TV is not working, but it lights up. Any idea what the problem is ?

I think Zenithfan's combo was bought from this guy and Doug has sold/bought from him too.

I think I might have scared Doug off.....After I bought my 1969 Sylvania from him....I constantly emailed with TV questions (since he is a good source of info)....he might be under the impression I'm a nut case.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey,

I didnt blow you off, nor do I think you are a nutcase. I try to answer and repond to everyone who emails me.

One thing, I dont always see my private messages here on AK. People will email me and tell me that they PM'd me as I never responded.

I dont intend to ignore people. Feel free to email me anytime with questions. Im always happy to help a fellow collector or tech.

By the way, that was MY TV thats on ebay right now. I can't believe it! Tom had to have this set and I sold it to him for $100 about 3 weeks ago. This is the set I picked up at the estate sales back in january. You will see a better pic of it in the estate sale finds 2008 thread.

I can tell you what its all about. The CRT is a GOOD rebuilt channel master and was not rejuvinated. The set had some problems though. I never worked on it and it never even made it into the house after I bought it. It sat in the garage and I was prepaired to sell it on ebay untill tom (the guy in milwaukee) came here to pick up the 72 zenith console he bought on ebay. He had to have it and I showed him that it needed work and that I never touched it. Proof of that was the fact that the dust was not disturbed inside the set, not even the tubes. The set powered up with a washed out raster and good sound. CRT was bright. Tuner was very dirty though. The chassis wasnt even bolted down when I got it and the power cord was missing. The set had the back cover off it about a million times as there is a ton of wear around the back cover twist tabs.

I was not pleased with the cabinet either, which was the biggest reason I didnt want to keep the set. The veneer was in bad shape and is worn and discolored at the bottoms of the legs, top of the cabinet and edges of the cabinet have more than desireable wear and nicks. The set is badly hacked up.

Tom was under the impression it would be a simple tube test to bring it back. It could have been that simple, but I had no interest in it. He offered me the money after he saw it with his own eyes. Apparently he made an impulse purchase and now wants to be done with it. Just be careful if anyone here bids on it. The set will need alot of work to make it look decent.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:46 PM
AK Member

Doug,

I wrote that blurb to give you a laugh. I know you probably get tons of emails and I don't take it personal.

After reading your description of the set...I don't want it. I want a set that I can enjoy and not a total basket case.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

NO problem. Just be cautious, as the set needs alot of work.
Audiokarma
Old 04-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
NO problem. Just be cautious, as the set needs alot of work.
Sure does, I have seen it at both Doug's and Tom's. I tried to give Tom some pointers on where to start working on it. He must have decided it was too much and now wants to sell it. With a lot of time and effort, this set could be brought back, but it'll take the right person for the job. I have WAY too much on my plate right now. I wouldn't trust myself with it anyways, I'd probably take out the CRT for my Admiral!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 04-27-2008, 08:01 PM
AK Member

Not seeing the cabinet, I couldn't say if it could be refinished to look like anything or not. As a person who has furnished their office and home in vintage furniture...there is some stuff that is a total pain to re-finish.

Furniture that has chipped veneer is iffy. It it's real bad, it will look like crap no matter what.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Mark

It could refinish nicely, the wood is not too bad. The legs are not missing, he has it up on those chairs to take a look at it. Picture looked real dim and it has video/ I.F. issues. CRT seemed OK but I would check it out closely. It may be a little deactivated from sitting{you would hope} Or it could be more video issues, looks like a real big project for someone. Yes, I did get my combo from him, I LOVE that tv!
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 04-27-2008, 08:33 PM
AK Member

Zenithfan...I like that combo you have too. I like the traditional style of it. It is a beautiful piece of furniture that speaks class.

The TV he has is tempting in some ways. For one thing it is a roundie in a traditional style cabinet. Another, roundies are hard to find.

It's one of those issues that can make you go back and forth on whether to let it pass you by or not.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Mark

Yup, been there too many times to count. It all depends on how much work you are willing to put in.
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma