Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:38 AM
mike g

ok i have a stupid question

I been seeing and hearing about this change from analog to digital in feb 2009. Here is my question , which convertor box is the better one to buy . Second question is , i have a roof antenna which i installed less then two years ago and the paperwork said it was digital compatible?? Does this mean i just hook up my coaxial from the antenna to this convertor box which in turn converts the signal back to analog , then will i be able to still use the rotary tuner on the tv or are the channels changed by a button on the box . I am looking to get a box this weekend to prepare myself . I have not really looked into this switch till recently so i am somewhat ignorant to what i have to do . Can anyone chime in .
Old 01-09-2009, 09:06 AM
AK Subscriber

The box I use replaces the tuner in the TV . Works on channel 3/4 I think .
I picked up a Zenith box , works good once you get it set up .
http://www.zenith.com/dtv/ info on how to set one up ...
The antenna might need to be adjusted some for best picture . Digital pics is either good or nothing I have found . The unit will have a signal strength indicator built in , just got to find it .

Good luck

Barney
HK 2500,CD191
Sony CDP players 23,191
Marantz 6300 Harmon Kardon T 20 Grado RS-III, 3E+
AR's Advents BA's Marantz Polk Tony Gallo....:music:
Old 01-09-2009, 10:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

My local RS offered two boxes, so I bought one of each. One is a DigitalStream and the other a Zenith.

The DigitalStream is very compact and handles automatic switching of aspect ratios very well. It's only fault is that I have faint horizontal lines on the screen with that box.

The Zenith gives me a clear picture and also allows direct access to programming in channels without having to do a full scan. It's only drawback is that I often have to select the screen aspect ratio manually as it automatically letterboxes most 4:3 broadcasts.

Mind you, I'm using the factory set-top VHF "rabbit ears" to pick up UHF digital stations - I live within a few miles of the local transmitters.

I hope the DigitalStream will work well once I have my rooftop antenna installed.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:35 AM
mike g

I hear the Zenith convertors are very well , i might just go with that one . I have a very good roof antenna and only want this convertor for my old tvs in my workshop . I have cable in the rest of the house .
Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have the digitalstream box as well and my only complaint is that when I use a GOOD coax cable, instead of the el cheapo cable supplied, to connect the box to the TV, the weight of the cable makes it difficult for the box to sit level on top of the TV. I also wish these boxes had a switched AC outlet on the back. That would convert any older TV to total remote control.

My Sister and Cousin both have the el cheapo Funai/Magnavox box from walmart. It has not failed to work; but, is very user unfriendly, IMHO. You'd do better to spend the extra $10 and get the Digitalstream, Zenith, or Insignia boxes.

At our local BB, they carry the Insignia and Apex brand boxes. Someone I know recently bought the Insignia box because the salesman told her that the store had many returns on the Apex box. I think the Insignia box was only $5 higher than the Apex.
Audiokarma
Old 01-09-2009, 12:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Zenith box works well.The aspect ratio thing is not a big deal for me as i prefer to choose my own.

I'm actually thinking of getting another one as I ended up giving mine to my sister and brother-in-law. The downside right now is the coupons.I hear they are hard to obtain due to the volume of requests.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I also wish these boxes had a switched AC outlet on the back. That would convert any older TV to total remote control.
I've added a relay and extension cord female "pigtail" to my Channelmaster box. I found a 4V coil 10A@125VAC relay from an old computer monitor. And I also found a 5V rail inside the Channelmaster box (which feeds the tuner module inside, and turns off when the remote turns the box "off"), and thru a diode, use to feed the relay. A second diode I strapped across the relay coil to absorb the back EMF. The first diode also helps keep that from getting into the rest of the box as well, and drops the 5V to 4.3V, close enough.

I used double sticky tape to mount the relay, with its terminals pointing up in the air. To keep the powerline away from signals on the circuit board.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Thinking in color...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
The unit will have a signal strength indicator built in , just got to find it .
It's the button on the remote marked SIGNAL. It gives you a bar meter at the bottom of the screen for the channel you're watching.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:04 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Regarding "complete remote control" - the Zenith and Insignia boxes have a TV power button on their remote. You go through a one-time procedure to find the right code for your TV, then you are set.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

One other thing I forgot to mention:

If the "channel guide" feature is something of importance to you, the DigitalStream definitely has a better one than the Zenith.