Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Seems that Europeanen made better colour films than "Kodak/Eastman". They tend to last a little bit longer before colour fading.
People duplicated movies for they own use or also for resale?
I'm curios, a film that haves that magnetic strip added for sound haves it from the begining or that strip is added after the film is procesed (developed)?
Kodachrome and Technicolor hold up well, just not Eastman. The problem exists with films made between 1950 and 1981, which is most every colour film.

Agfa (Germany) film does fade too, and so does Fuji (Japan), but less than the Eastman stuff does. I'm not sure about eastern bloc film. I haven't ever had a film from the USSR for example.

I'm not really sure what the logistics of illegal duplication were. The equipment and chemicals would be a bit too ambitious for a normal enthusiast. I've only seen the results when I've bought films, and they aren't too great.

Magnetic sound tracks on 16mm I am also not too familiar with. Some machines can play them, but the majority of films have an optical sound track. I think magnetic sound tracks were for a specific use, but i'm not sure what that use was. My projector does only optical, and I've never found a magnetic sound film for sale which I wanted to buy.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I should add.. everything I know about 16mm film I learned within the last year and a bit. Last summer I went to see a movie at a local art movie theater (Andrei Tarkovsky's "Solaris").. I paid a full ticket price, and what did I see? A DVD on a big projector, and the worst sound I've heard in a theater. This in a big theater, which has hundreds of seats.

I was so disappointed, I used to go to art or cult movies, and as soon as the projector started, and I could see the film working, I knew I was in for something good. But this was dismal, worse than my own home theater. I thought OK I can either complain, OR, I can make my own theater and watch films at home. I chose to do the second, and it's been a fun but expensive hobby.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
I've seen that you folks in the U.S.A. could in the past rented or buy 16 m.m. movies. But could you ever rented or buy Scopitones or other 16 m.m. films with music clips on them?
No. Only available to Scopitone jukebox operators.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:56 PM
I love old stuff

I found a projector (the guy didn't have a cable to test it), but still dind't found spool for the films
Old 11-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Damn does run fast…

A takeup reel can still be bought fairly easily. Big thing with the projector is clean and properly oil it.
Audiokarma
Old 11-10-2018, 03:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I found a projector (the guy didn't have a cable to test it), but still dind't found spool for the films
Let's see some pictures!
Old 11-10-2018, 04:57 PM
I love old stuff

I found it, still not got it. It isn't in Bucharest. It's something like this: http://www.fiat.3xforum.ro/post/2612...ula_16mm_IOR_/ I'm curios if it can take up those realy large spools.
Probably spools are easy to find in more developed countries. In Romania ... hardly. 8 mm was a little bit more common here (and you could use spools from reel to reel tape recorders), but 16 m.m. was very rarley private used, so...
In Romania I think they didn't even made 8 m.m. films with titles for sale. The Soviets did.

Last edited by Telecolor 3007; 11-10-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I found it, still not got it. It isn't in Bucharest. It's something like this: http://www.fiat.3xforum.ro/post/2612...ula_16mm_IOR_/ I'm curios if it can take up those realy large spools.
Probably spools are easy to find in more developed countries. In Romania ... hardly. 8 mm was a little bit more common here (and you could use spools from reel to reel tape recorders), but 16 m.m. was very rarley private used, so...
In Romania I think they didn't even made 8 m.m. films with titles for sale. The Soviets did.
That projector looks decently new, and capable of taking 2000 foot reels. Still you will want a service manual, and need to give it a good tune up. The hardest thing to find will be films, but if you're like me, they'll be drawn to you once you start to look seriously. I have a floor to ceiling shelf four feet wide which is full of films now, and 18 months ago I had zero.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:51 PM
I love old stuff

I found some films and I will take a few more (maybe even 35 m.m.).

Last edited by Telecolor 3007; 11-11-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I found some films and I will take a few more (maybe even 35 m.m.).
Awesome! What did you find?
Audiokarma
Old 11-12-2018, 05:29 AM
I love old stuff

Movies, newsreels, documenatries. But they aren't all in good shape. Kept under a roof, but one of the walls is a curtain, they where kept in newspapers, not in boxes.
But spools seems to be imposibile to find in Romania. And on ebay.de prices are

Can I use duck tape on this or only glue?

Last edited by Telecolor 3007; 11-12-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:29 PM
I love old stuff

????????
Old 11-13-2018, 02:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
????????
Duck tape? Absolutely not. The only things you can use to splice film, are film splicing tape, or film cement. If you use anything else, chances are almost 100% that the projector will start eating the film the first time you show it. Even a tiny misalignment of the sprockets will start this, it's really critical. If you want to be cheap, I suggest to use a cement type splicer, since you can make cement easily enough, and it avoids needing the special tape.

I can't really tell from that photo if that's a splicer for "press-tape", or for cement. I think it's a press tape type splicer, but it's not a type I am familiar with. The first one you showed me is for cement.

Here's a website of one of the only companies still making film supplies: http://urbanskifilm.com/supplies.html

Also, the following forum is really great - they helped me a lot since I started this stuff www.16mmfilmtalk.com

Last edited by maxhifi; 11-13-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:46 PM
I love old stuff

And how I can align them corectly?
What's the differnce between press tape and duck tape?
Old 11-13-2018, 03:53 PM
M is for Memory

The difference between press tape and duck tape is the difference between plugging a hole in the top of a VHS cassetts with packing tape and plugging that hole with a peanutbutter and jelley sandwitch...Both wrong methods fix the defect till you try to play the media...Then they cause lots of new problems.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 11-13-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Audiokarma