Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:19 AM

Kuba Komet - Monitor Help

Restoring a Kuba Komet that had NOTHING in regards to the TV picture tube.
Seeking a CRT / Monitor to fit inside the cabinet that is maybe 21” or 23”. Want it to play 4x3, in black and white. Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:23 AM
M is for Memory

Are the original TV electronics still there? If so and you're just missing the CRT and maybe yoke, then your far better off sourcing a compatible CRT and making the Komet work on it's original electronics...Hacking in a new monitor while easier will hurt the resale value substantially, and be seen as an abomination by most collectors.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-17-2018, 12:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'd sure like to see some photos of what is there!
Old 03-17-2018, 04:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Would a 21 inch Predicta CRT fit? If you don't have the Kuba Chassis/ electronics then maybe you could use the electronics from the Predicta?
Old 03-17-2018, 06:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rld-tv01 View Post
Would a 21 inch Predicta CRT fit? If you don't have the Kuba Chassis/ electronics then maybe you could use the electronics from the Predicta?
The European CRTs had different shapes and curvatures. I doubt any U.S. CRT would fit the outline correctly. As rare and valuable as Kuba Komets are, I wouldn't just hack anything into the cabinet that isn't entirely reversible.

Audiokarma
Old 03-17-2018, 11:57 PM

My Kuba Komet retains all electronics for the HiFi & Turntable; they are now restored. That lower cabinet was intact with its electronics, buttons, switches.

The top sail cabinet, that originally contained speakers and the TV tube, was entirely gone EXCEPT the face portion of the top sail & the TV Lens. So....I had no choice but to have built the rest of the top sail cabinet and need to retrofit a set in there. My goal is to have a 4x3, black & white playback.

I have a car collection and do my best to keep most of them all 100% stock, which is my theory on my Predictas, Jukebox & Halolight; but the Kuba took me 20 years to find one and I had to take it as I found it out of Canada and improvise on the restoration as I go.

Any suggestions will help.
Thanks!
Old 03-18-2018, 12:04 AM

My Kuba Komet

A few picts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kuba Komet 088.jpg (53.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03622.jpg (45.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4130.jpg (59.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 03-18-2018, 11:44 AM
M is for Memory

Comparing the CRT mask in your set to the one at the ETF: http://www.earlytelevision.org/kuba.html
Yours looks to be an earlier model. The squarer the corners the newer the CRT.

Looking at your cabinet it would appear the majority of the TV electronics occupied the middle of the bottom unit. If you still have the TV electronics from the bottom unit then the set will be most original if you get a CRT and yoke and mate those to the original TV chassis if you have it.

Try to find the schematic for the TV section. It should have a part number for the CRT. Look up the CRT datasheet and keep a copy. Odds are there will be an American CRT with a similar screen size and the same deflection angle that can be bolted in. There should be a deflection yoke similar enough to work available too.

I know it is probably a euro standard TV chassis, but these days it is pretty easy to work around that. Euro standard RF modulators are cheap and it should be easy to readjust the hold controls to sync to NTSC fed into one of those modulators.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 03-18-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

I would agree with WISCOJIM that whatever mod you do should be reversible.
The easiest mod might be a LCD TV with a some kind of simple video source providing 4x3, black & white playback to the LCD TV. This might provide a cheap temporary fix while you continue to look for an original CRT and chassis. I have a SUBU German projection TV set of the same time period as the Kuba Komet. It is a lot smaller set then your Komet so probably more made it to the USA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SABU_German_TV.jpg (84.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-18-2018, 01:16 PM

"The easiest mod might be a LCD TV with a some kind of simple video source providing 4x3, black & white playback to the LCD TV"

YES - THIS IS WHAT I AM SEEKING ANY SUGGESTIONS ON; IF ANYONE HAS ANY, MUCH APPRECIATED. THANK YOU!
Audiokarma
Old 03-18-2018, 01:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

It looks like that's a desired item by the vintage arcade guys, too, so you might try some of their sites.

Signal processing can allow you to crop, zoom, and otherwise manipulate a signal to fit your desired mask outline, so you could simulate low-scanrate, overscan, and possibly even spherical distortion with a flat widescreen LCD.

All that said, adaptable CRT would be most authentic. I know a bunch came into ETF in Columbus about a month ago, but inventory specifics might be a challenge.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

A cheap way to get BW from a color signal would be to use something like an HDMI to Svideo converter then disable the color output pin (chrominance) allowing only luminance and brightness from the S-Video cable. You should be able to set the LCD TV to display in 4X3 format. Depending on the LCD TV inputs you could use a 2nd S-Video to HDMI adapter going to the TV or if the LCD TV is an older one there might be a SVideo input on the TV.