Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

IRE Jan 1954 NTSC Color TV Issue

Hello Guys,

i was bidding on this IRE january 1954 NTSC Color TV issue and lost:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jan-1954-IRE-Pro...item3cae4ab05b

I hope the winner is part ouf this group and will in time Scan the data & share as this is a very interesting document in the history of NTSC. I'm sure the ETF would be interested - Steve?

It's a follow-up to the IRE 1951 Color TV proceedings which also show up from time to time. i've scanned some of articles, see them here:

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...%20TV%20Issue/

See the summary page of the 1954 book content in the pix below.

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France

Last edited by jhalphen; 06-30-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

The scans already exist -- for those willing to pay. Back issues of IRE Proceedings are available online from the IEEE:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/sta...number=4051484

Their price for a non-IEEE member to download a personal copy of an article is high. At $30 per article, it would cost $1,440 to get the 48 articles in the Jan. 1954 issue.

For my CT-100 design article, I asked permission to reproduce two or three of those articles. The IEEE charges a $300 per article license fee to do that. I settled for using a couple of photos (free) and providing a link to their website.

Perhaps Steve, on behalf of a non-profit museum, could negotiate a free or very cheap deal to host these.

Phil Nelson
Old 06-29-2010, 04:47 PM
a- v- karma member

If you are a student or staff member at a major university, your library may provide
free access to the IEEE/IRE online archives. Check it out.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:22 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

IEEE maintains the copyright to all of their publications, so they are not legal to publish without permission. I think also it may be against videokarma policy to post links to copyrighted material here.

The moderator may want to check and delete the original post if necessary.
Sorry, but we need to keep videokarma legal or it will not exist at all.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

If need be, Jerome or the moderator could simply edit the first post to remove the link to Jerome's photobucket images.

I see no reason to delete the entire thread. The rest of the discussion is interesting (at least, to me) and harmless. There's also no need to remove the IRE table of contents. IEEE itself publishes the TOC so that everyone can see what's in the magazine and decide whether to order copies from them.

Regards,

Phil
Audiokarma
Old 02-16-2011, 08:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

I am fortunate to have pristine copies of both the First and Second Color Television issues as my father was a member of the IRE (IEEE) and thus received all of the technical proceedings. Although I cannot part with these, I will freely help anyone seeking information if I can.

Last edited by CT-100; 02-16-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Text Updates.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have the 1954 Proc IRE but it's a very tightly bound volume, the whole of 1954 in one massive book, almost impossible to scan.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 AM
hposter

copyright of IEEE books

Well, from what I found online:

Books initially copyrighted in the US from 1923 through 1963 are still protected by copyright law if the initial copyright was renewed. The initial copyright term was 28 years and the renewal was 67 more years (formerly only 47 years).

So, that means if you wait (assuming they renewed their copyright in 1982), by 2049, you should be able to view, use and copy any of the 1954 manuals.

I'll only be 101 years old, but by then, I might have lost interest in the manuals.

We'll see......
Old 02-17-2011, 11:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

The IEEE person that I corresponded with was quite reasonable and she gave permission to use some photos without quibbling.

Perhaps if Steve asked permission for the museum to reproduce some of the content, they'd simply say OK.

As copyright owner, IEEE must have a general policy that forbids wholesale copying, otherwise they risk losing the copyright completely through abandonment. However, it's no skin off their backs to grant permission to copy a specific item. In fact, granting such permissions from time to time is evidence that the copyright owners are alive and well, and paying attention to their intellectual property rights.

Phil Nelson