Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-31-2005, 12:56 AM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
6.7v instead of 6.3 v should be ok. Anything within 10% of 6.3v will be fine.

As for the flyback getting hot, I would check the horizontal output tube cathode current and make sure it's within the range listed in the service manual. I assume you've replaced all the paper caps? A leaking cap in the horizontal drive circuit will cause the flyback to overheat. Finally, dropping the line voltage to 110v might make a big difference in the flyback temp.
Paper caps are renewed. I have a big transformer for 115 volts. But the powerline in Germany is changing. Before 12 years we had 220 volts, now we have 230 volts, that's the problem. Today we have 225 volts here in my house. I can lower the main power to 110 volts by using a 3.3 Ohm resistor (50 watts).
Another problem I noticed, happens in the first seconds after switching on the set. The rectifier tubes (5U4GB) light upe very quickly and the electrolytics were loaded with more than 540 volts. But they are specified only for appr. 400 volts. My suggestion: Parallel to the main switch in the set I solder a rectifier diode (p600d), so the set gets only half the power consumption when connecting with the mains. And when the tubes lighted up, I switch the set on. The voltage at the electrolytics (c105, c106) remains in the specified range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaraman
They also have Armed Forces Network (AFN) in Germany. That signal is in our American frequency. There are no modifications needed to watch an American set. You can buy transformers in the PX that will convert the voltage for you. (220v to 120v) As I remember there was an antenna that you turned a certain way to get the German TV stations. I think they are on 9mhz and we are on 10mhz??? I had no issues with my mid 70's GE when I lived there 14 years ago. All this was through the air with an antenna. NO CABLE TV!!!!polaraman
I don't get AFN on the air here in Brunswick. I lived in Berlin for some years, where we had AFN (and it's wonderful music, I miss it here).
Antenna: German tv stations transmit in horizontal polarisation, AFN is transmitted vertical. You had to turn the antenna for 90 ° to receive AFN.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
My suggestion: Parallel to the main switch in the set I solder a rectifier diode (p600d), so the set gets only half the power consumption when connecting with the mains. And when the tubes lighted up, I switch the set on. The voltage at the electrolytics (c105, c106) remains in the specified range.
Isn't this set a power transformer operated set? I don't think that the power transformer is gonna like having a rectifier diode between it and the powerline.

Anyway, many electrolytic caps can take a few seconds of overvoltage. Some are marked with "surge voltage" ratings.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:09 AM
VK Member

> Very true about the transformer not wanting to see DC.

Yes, it doesn't work with U.S.-tv sets. We can do it in Germany with old tube tv's. They have no transformer and serial heating.
I have lowered the AC current down to 108 volts which results in 6.3 volt heating voltage. There are less arcs than before in the horizontal output stage. With 104 volts the set is working properly, but the picture is too small now. The flyback is cool even after an hour.
The total power consumption noted on the back is 350 watts. But I measured ony 260 to 270 watts (2.5 A).Are there such discrepances in total power consumption?
Old 02-01-2005, 06:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think the method of operation here with the diode is like when a diode is used without a filter cap in the "instant on" circuit of TV's....part of the AC waveform is cut off so that the effective voltage is lower.
How is the horizontal output tube current/horizontal efficiency coil adjustment?
Does this set have a width switch that may be adjusted?

Somewhere on an RCA color tv schematic I saw that the filament winding of the power transformer actually produced 6.8 volts? I have not actually measured the filament voltage in an RCA set to check.
Audiokarma
Old 02-01-2005, 08:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think it would be a good idea for this guy to buy a autotransformer.{variac}.
Also make sure you have a fuse on the ac line.{mains} to be safe.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:59 AM
VK Member

ctc-5

> How is the horizontal output tube current/horizontal efficiency coil
> adjustment?

I'm very busy at work in the moment. Next weekend I have time enough to open the set and to measure the horizontal output tube current.

> Does this set have a width switch that may be adjusted?

Yes, it has, I have selected the greatest width position. With 108 volts I get full screen width, see attached a photo from the sports in tv this week. Red, blue and green drive I had adjusted meanwhile.

> I think it would be a good idea for this guy to buy a
> autotransformer.{variac}.

OK! I will see what I get here. I shall need a whole transformer park for this set ;-) First a 230 voltage variac, then the 230 volts downward transformer for 110 volts, then the transformer module for canadian 25 cycles which came with the set...
Old 02-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yagosaga- Pretty good picture, I'd say ! I hope you know how LUCKY you are to have this old set-and that it made it all the way to Germany in one piece !! It is TRULY a treasure. Furthermore, am glad you've decided to join our little discussion group here-lots of very good info & good fellowship... Enjoy !!-Sandy G.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:16 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Yagosaga- Pretty good picture, I'd say ! I hope you know how LUCKY you are to have this old set-and that it made it all the way to Germany in one piece !! It is TRULY a treasure. Furthermore, am glad you've decided to join our little discussion group here-lots of very good info & good fellowship... Enjoy !!-Sandy G.
Yes, it's really a tresure. I have done my first restauration job of a color tv set in 1975, and I need one year for it. It was a Saba Schauninsland T2500E color, a German set from 1967/1968 with a A63-11X color crt. This is 30 years ago. I have seen many unnumbered color tv sets since that time, but I never touched a set with my own fingers which is older than 1967. I knew that Americans had color tv even in the 1950s. But I didn'nt believe that I would get such a set in my whole lifetime. This is not only a set, but it's a piece of history for itself, which one can find only in the U.S..
The most beautiful German color tv set ever manufactored was - in my opinion - the first Telefunken set of 1967, the PALcolor 708. Here is a photo of this set from a guy who lives in Wuppertal. A set with a strong A63-11X, very rare. (Most of this color crt's had a bad red gun after appr. six years.)
Old 02-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Wow !! EXTRAORDINARY picture on that Telefunken !! Looks like it's in superb cosmetic shape, too-and the CRT doesn't have that ugly black band around it like a lot of Brit/Euro TVs do-is that TV tube/transistor or hybrid? -Sandy G.
Audiokarma
Old 02-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Surrounded by old stuff

Is that a wooden mask around the CRT, or painted metal?
A beatiful set, I like the nice clean lines of those German sets.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:52 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Wow !! EXTRAORDINARY picture on that Telefunken !! Looks like it's in superb cosmetic shape, too-and the CRT doesn't have that ugly black band around it like a lot of Brit/Euro TVs do-is that TV tube/transistor or hybrid? -Sandy G.
Yes, it is a set in excellent condition. It is a hybrid tv set with tubes and transistors. A documentation of it (only in German) I have on:

http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...alcolor708.htm

Schematics can be found under "Schaltplan", click the word "Einheitschassis". You will see that this set is based upon early U.S. color tv technology with 380 volts D.C., shunt regulator and so on.

Another set of this era (with the ugly black band around it) I have documentated on

http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...z/metz6285.htm

This set belongs to me, I got it before 15 years, and it has the first chromacolor tube (A66-120X) with very strong guns.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:59 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxm
Is that a wooden mask around the CRT, or painted metal?
A beatiful set, I like the nice clean lines of those German sets.
It is a wooden mask. As I said, there were very few models which had this wooden mask, this Telefunken, and the Saba Schauinsland T2500E color. Since 1969 the manufactores changed to the "push-trough-crt's" (I don't know the correct English word, those crt's with the ugly black band around it), and with it the design lost it's beautiness.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I've always liked the "look" of German products-and the "feel". The old Grundig & SABA radio sets of the 1950s-'60s all had a VERY substantial "feel" to them-and generally, they sounded quite good, too !! My Rohde & Schwarz EK-07 Boatanchor-all the knobs have this ultra smooth, almost "buttery" feel to 'em- sorta like "everything's turning in oil". An R-390A Boatanchor, by contrast, feels, well..."agricultural" by comparison. The wooden mask on that TV is pure class, IMHO. We lost a LOT when black plastic became our god...-Sandy G.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Transformer park, thats funny. Can you tap the 230v step down transformer to 120.
purchase an american 120v auto transformer and plug it into the 230 stepdown transformer and then turn up the auto transformer output to 110. That way you do not have to worry about 5u4 arcs and surge voltages, etc.
My mains put out 122v here if i plug my ctc5s into the mains with out a variac the 5u4s put on a light show and the flyback gets hot.{ctc5s transformers sold in the us are rated at117v}Your set has a vary nice picture. Alot of work to get them going.
German electronics are well made. I have 2 Grundig radios. They were easy to fix and
sound great.
Audiokarma