Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

"Vintage" color TV

Check this "vintage" color TV out!

http://houston.craigslist.org/fuo/1773248673.html
Old 06-09-2010, 08:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

$370 for a $25 BPC inside of a 50's B&W console...hmmm, I just can't justify the cost, unless that's some space glue used to hold the (now useless) knobs on the cabinet.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder if there will ever be flat panels installed in BPC..
Old 06-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Oh, Prunella....
Old 06-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Mark

What bothers me the most is that he does this regularly to tvs and radios. Geez...what a fool.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma
Old 06-09-2010, 12:48 PM
The Devil Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
What bothers me the most is that he does this regularly to tvs and radios. Geez...what a fool.
If people are indeed paying him that much, I'd say he's not a fool at all, but someone who knows his market.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I bet he can sell those as fast as he makes 'em. I have sometimes thought of giving a restored TV to family members, but I know they'd never actually watch a 10" b/w set. They would use and enjoy something like this, though.

BTW, what does BPC mean? I did an acronym search and got things like Blueprint Copy and British Potato Council . . . .

Phil
Old 06-09-2010, 01:51 PM
sampson159

i have one of those too!i had no choice.i got just the cabinet of a stromberg carleson.i retrofitted a zenith system3 from the early 90s.it looks very good and most people think it is original.they say how great the picture looks and when i get the remote and put on screen display......they know they been had!
Old 06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

black plastic carp
Old 06-09-2010, 02:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
I bet he can sell those as fast as he makes 'em. I have sometimes thought of giving a restored TV to family members, but I know they'd never actually watch a 10" b/w set. They would use and enjoy something like this, though.

BTW, what does BPC mean? I did an acronym search and got things like Blueprint Copy and British Potato Council . . . .

Phil
I find it odd that the contour of the CRT in the more modern set appears to match the mask so well... If one were retrofitting older sets in general, it might be difficult to match the surface contours so well. The mask does not appear to have been reshaped, but perhaps it has been.

Black Plastic Cr*p

jr
Audiokarma
Old 06-09-2010, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

I suppose one could modify an old TV set cabinet to accept a flat screen display. By removing the CRT bezel and replacing that with some wood door frame trim or such to create the 16 by 9 rectangular hole to be filled by said flat screen. And I'd try to make the knobs serve a function, if only pushing on them press buttons for channel up and down volume up and down... Valid only if the cabinet has a missing chassis and CRT...

Of course you end up replacing the flat screen more often than you had to replace CRTs in the day...
Old 06-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Not sure how I got here.

In Defense of Black Plastic Crafted tv's

In defense of BPC. My sister got a second BPC as you guys call them from Mr. Walton's mega legacy store and it developed a sound problem that was actually a mechanical problem. By the way this is the first tv I used the Internet to troubleshoot. Its a Sanyo DS25390 25" black plastic color tv. She said it buzzed, when I turned it on it took a while to buzz, but the on screen display waved back and forth. I said to myself thats a bad filter cap. I am already use to diagnosing car and lawn mower engine problems using the Internet. I tried it with this set since I did not have a schematic, and sure enough this set has a chronic bad cap C622 470uf 25V recommendations are to use 35V available at the Shack. I did replace the cap, (less than $2.00) and noticed that they must have used a really expensive glue to hold the convergence magnets and yoke on the neck of the tube. There was so little of this surely expensive glue that both had moved and the picture was really pretty poor in convergence. I took out my dot machine and focused the tube, did all the convergence and the set really has an outstanding picture now. I wonder if the magnets had moved in shipping to the store, or from her house to mine for the repairs (300 miles). I was also pretty amazed at the number of control items that are accessible via the on screen display once you enter the service mode. The PC board though is only about the size of one and a half 5” floppy disks. Well anyway I now have a different opinion of Black Plastic Crafted CRT television sets. Especially since they are going to be the last of the CRT televisions. I really like the picture on this set! And I did find a schematic, thats how I found all the settings to play with in service mode. The .pdf of the schematic is too big to upload but I bet you guys can find it online like I did using the model number.
Have a cool day guys...
Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sometimes one is pleasantly suprised by the quality of the picture and the quality of assembly line, possible even robotic, workmanship of bpc or spc or wpc sets.

Have a Fisher/Sanyo 20" square set that was gifted to me ages ago, if I remember it is a '94 model year - has thousands of hours of playtime - still an incredible picture.

Have a Sanyo DS25380 - don't remember where the hell I picked this one up at - after entering the menu and readjusting color, tint, brightness, contrast -it has a great picture - one of my favorite daily watchers.

Bought a Panasonic CTN-1942R new in 1991 - still looks new cosmetically and still has a stunning picture after many hundreds, probably thousands of hours of playtime.

Even a 1988 Magnavox Perfect View 5" color television/am/fm portable combo I picked up for a dollar at an estate sale still works and looks as new and has an unbelievable picture for a 5" set - of course the changeover to digital signals has all but rendered this little gem useless.

Thousands of hours of playtime on these set and no repairs - not on my workbench or anyone elses - I wonder how many hours your common garden variety tube driven set has spent on a workbench?

BTW - I wonder how/where that goof ball who "retrofitted" a bpc set into an Admiral Super Cascode found a color tube with the geometry to match that mask/bezel. I have that set in my collection -excepting that mine is in the ever popular "limed oak" finish - and that set as originally produced certainly deserves its nickname of a "bug eye" set.

Last edited by RobtWB; 06-09-2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

color tv

Well at least its reliable.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Convergence freak!

I could see the geometry of a 23V 90 deg deflection style CRT fiiting closely for the bezel more than a newer 25V and up 110 deg deflection. But yes the CRT looks brighter than a slightly inhibited 23V. And that looks like black plastic behind the control door. (Of course if someone like me *HAD* no other choice and wanted to make this set a conversation piece if I got it with no guts, I would probably find a way to place a newer set in there too unless I had a carcass from an old color set with no cabinet from a previous save of someone that gutted a set to fishtank it).