Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-07-2023, 01:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

The pictures are always better on the radio
Old 03-07-2023, 08:51 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
The pictures are always better on the radio
Old 04-03-2023, 02:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very good thread to read!
In my childhood, I listened my mom complained about some TV's greens... Time flies, and now I have 4 color CRT TVs in my collection, and 2 CRT monitors. And a OLED TV for modern use.
Enough for comparing color quality, rendition, primaries etc
Besides NTSC, of course, other systems in the world also succumbed to "bright war" (of course...), and in the end, TV's became multinorm, with various color formats at same TV with these one-chip video processors.
About the skin color shift, interesting to read. I used to think that only the max. brightness was the reason to change RGB primaries.
Even if I don't have a colorimeter, I'm tempted to rank my collection in primary color deep, if it it's only for fun, since some are notable, like the green of my Telefunken with delta gun CRT from 1978; is visible different (and seems to be better, deeper) to all other CRT I have. After watching this, people's skin face seems yellow like Simpsons cartoon in other TV's.
I'ts blue is also very good, seems better than the other CRT's, and red is good. It seems that even at late 70's, some CRT are produced with better color phosphours. This tube probably was made for matching early 70's PAL color gamut, I suppose due to it's green (I don't know if PAL systems changed gamut at same time or after NTSC, especially the odd PAL-M here in Brazil).
I also love to play some games on it, due to the manner it render colors.
I can only imagine the color from these roundies with original NTSC gamut...
The better red I have in CRT is from a el-cheapo monitor, using a Samsung CRT: is matched ONLY by my OLED TV, but the green of this monitor is like a yellow text pen maker.
My disapointment is with a Sony Trinitron monitor CRT, from a F99 chassis (Dell P991). It's red is orange... but green is better than most monitors from it's age.
And, even my Toshiba TV from 87 have some more deep red and green than my 29" CRT from early 2000.
So, I see in my own CRT TV collection the primaries being less "deep" decade after decade. and monitors are NOT guaranteed.

Note: Obviously, my OLED TV is for a almost niche market, so it's color have good deep, also measured with colorimeter on some AV sites out there. Seems to be a comeback, but since OLED TV is relatively new (and modern), is possible that makers try to impress like before with early color TV.