Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Denver CL maggie roundi

http://denver.craigslist.org/atq/1722565186.html

another nice roundie with a short remaining life...
Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Must be Magnavox's heaviest combo ! 250 -> 300# ?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:55 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVista View Post
Must be Magnavox's heaviest combo ! 250 -> 300# ?
Could be, unless their fabulous 3-way "Stereo Theatre" consoles of the late 1960s were heavier--which I think they probably were. The CRT alone in the combo we're discussing here must weigh 50-60 pounds; the cabinet, about 150, with the chassis weighing another 70 pounds. Just a guess.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-07-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Mark

It is freakin heavy, I have that exact cabinet but mine is a rectangular from 1965. Heavy. But I think someone should get it the hell out of there before someone does SOMETHING to it, it's never good when regular folks do something to an old tv.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 05-08-2010, 12:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes please somebody get it. It's an incredible piece. Even if it weighs more than a Hammond B3
Audiokarma
Old 05-08-2010, 09:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

I love those old Maggie roundies. This one looks incredible. I sure wish I was closer. I'd get it but fast!!!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Could be, unless their fabulous 3-way "Stereo Theatre" consoles of the late 1960s were heavier--which I think they probably were. The CRT alone in the combo we're discussing here must weigh 50-60 pounds; the cabinet, about 150, with the chassis weighing another 70 pounds. Just a guess.
I have two maggie home theaters I had to move one up a flight of stairs, it was a job i estimate close to 275 lbs on my bigger one my back gave out around 225 lbs LOL
Old 05-08-2010, 12:27 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
It is freakin heavy, I have that exact cabinet but mine is a rectangular from 1965. Heavy. But I think someone should get it the hell out of there before someone does SOMETHING to it, it's never good when regular folks do something to an old tv.
Indeed. I agree with you 100 percent--someone should get this set before it winds up a busted-up mess of glass and wood. There's way too much of this sort of thing going on these days. People going around breaking necks off CRTs, stealing parts (notably yokes) for the copper wire, name it--it's downright outrageous. My heart sinks every time I read here in the forum of someone having pulled a stunt like that--and it seems there is more of this going on every day. It's made it a lot harder for us VK members to find vintage TVs worth saving; many of the sets a lot of us have seen are now just worthless piles of junk, no thanks to copper thieves and the smash-and-grab idiots who bust up, tear up for parts, or otherwise destroy a TV that could have easily been restored to past glory. I grew up in a Cleveland suburb where this kind of thing started some time in the late '80s-'90s; kids throwing rocks at the screens of TVs (ruining the CRT, of course) that could have been restored with little or no effort, breaking necks off of CRTs, name it, so this has been going on for at least 25 years if not longer. I haven't seen any such nonsense going on (yet) in the small town where I live now; maybe folks in small towns have more respect for these things, or the village has an ordinance banning such destruction. I've been here over ten years and am not yet aware of such an ordinance, but there must be something like it in place here as I have yet to see any smashed, ruined televisions on treelawns anywhere in the village.

That Maggie roundie in the Denver area deserves better than to be smashed and gutted for copper or anything else; after all, Magnavox as we used to know it is gone, so sets like this (the few of them that are left, including this one) absolutely must be saved and restored. I also hope that someone with some respect for these things gets this TV and gets a few years of use out of it. Hitch it to an ATSC->NTSC converter box and it may run for many more years; the stereo is probably in good shape (or restorable) as well, so a little bit of work cleaning and lubricating the record changer and replacing the stylus should result in a sound system to be proud of and enjoyed for many years to come. Those old Maggie stereos looked and sounded great. I've heard a couple of the smaller consoles in operation and am convinced that The Magnavox Company of Fort Wayne, Indiana had winners in these and all their other consoles, including of course the fabulous 3-way stereo theatres with Magnavox's exclusive Total Remote Control system. These, like older Zenith radios and televisions, must be saved and restored because, as I always say about these older systems, they don't make them like that anymore. A crying shame, but true.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-08-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I agree with Jeff, but I think sometimes to kids its just a piece of glass in an old wooden case to bust and shatter. to others its money for copper, for others it's that old piece of furniture. One thing I liked is my teenage son brings his friends over and the wow factor takes over and they prefer to watch Avatar or play xbox 360 elite games on that old cool looking tv rather than the flatscreen everyone else has, so there is hope for the future, if people take the time for appreciation. The only complaint from the kids is some of the gamming text gets cut off on a roundie but they still choose it over the modern set every time.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I gotta ask... As a radio/tv collector, the idea of saving one of these combo units is very appealing. I would hate to see one end up in a landfill.

As a record collector, however, the thought of playing a vintage vinyl with one of the primitive changers that these units seem to use makes me want to loose my lunch.

So what does one do... substitute a decent turntable for the old "gouge-o-matic"... or perhaps, only play old scratched up G-sale records. Or perhaps, just not use the unit to play records at all, and/or hide a CD/DVD player in the cabinet somewhere? None of these options are very appealing... other options?

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 05-08-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 05-08-2010, 04:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think it depends on what you mean by vintage vinyl. I play old records on mine, even 45 RPMs. With good needles and properly set up I don't think they're too damaging. I haven't had any problems with 78 rpm records.

The more modern vinyl records seem to be more easily damaged. I tried some modern 33-1/3 records and I don't plan to do that again. I don't think they were intended to suffer the higher tracking forces that were used.

You can find diamond needles to replace most of the cheaper types that were used.

Anyhow, this is what I've observed with my collection. It might not apply to others.

John
Old 05-08-2010, 04:55 PM
console lover

Gouge-0-matic? lol, it's not an old mono monster with an all-speed needle! I don't know the ideal tracking force of a Maggie turntable off the top of my head, but it's a stereo turntable, hence high-compliance and I wouldn't worry about playing records on it as long as the needle was good.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

That Collaro turntable is really not a bad piece, and the tonearm can be lightened up a bit. There's some support and sites out there too. Now would I play my best records on it, no but I have some that qualify and sound great.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Actually, those Magnavox Micromatic record changers were among some of the better models as far as standard consumer grade console record changers go. I had an early '60's Magnavox B&W combo with a similar changer and I used to play records from the '50's-'70's on it all the time. The same records still play fine on a more advanced system with a magnetic cartridge. I wouldn't play any high dollar audiophile pressings on one of these (heck, don't even own any); but, I don't think you'll ruin your records on this changer, provided that it has a good needle and cartridge and the mechanics of the changer work properly. I think these tracked at around 3 grams, as opposed to some other changers of the day that tracked at 8 to 10 grams and maybe more.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks all!... It sounds as if the Collaro Changer is actually a pretty decent unit. 3 grams or so does not worry me too much! Did any models use a magnetic cartridge ?
8-10 grams scares the heck outa me... Which models should be avoided for this reason? Did Zenith, RCA and other major brands use the Collaro changer?

jr
Audiokarma