Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Bobby4244

10 old TV's

Hello guys, About 5 or more years ago, I picked up about 10 old B&W tv's. Some have small, and I mean small, round, and I mean round CRT's. 2 or 3 of them are NOS with paperwork included (they came from a TV sales and repair business. Tubes and everything are there. Many tubes are ST style 2 of these beast came with tables to set on. I been wondering what to do with them? One or 2 play albiet not well, most have sound and raster. And I have most of all the old test equipment too including a small transmitter or is it called a generator? And I have over 5000 tubes. I am more into old radio although I would love to fix the TV's . I got about 50 or more fixits in front of me now. I was gonna put some of the stuff on ebay but I figure If any of you guys want one of them I would offer it here first. I am sure that the filters will need to be changed and I think I have them too. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will take some pics with info. I only wanna keep 1 or 2 for myself. BTW, one has an all metal cabanet???

Last edited by Bobby4244; 02-22-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:18 AM
On Land

Bobby,

It's likely that someone here would be interested in what you have to offer. It would help everyone greatly if you'd give us a general idea of where you're located... at least your closest large city.

Yes, many sets back then came in metal cabinets. The metal cabinets helped keep the price of the set down. In the older color sets, a metal box set might have cost 100-150 bucks less than one of the fake-wood sets. If you were on a tight budget and wanted a new tv, a metal cabinet was the way to go.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Hi Bobby,

Do I understand you right that a few of the sets are NOS?
I think we would all be very interested to see what you have.
Can you take pictures or post make & model numbers?

Eric
Old 02-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Bobby4244

I live in Rhode Island but it is possable that I might be able to deliver (even out West) if someone wants to wait. The sets are in my basement and I will be cleaning house soon and will post pics and Model numbers soon. And yes, you read right, a couple are NOS with papers. Although I am sure that they don't look quite brand new after all these years. But they are all intack and probably very restorable. I will keep you all posted.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:51 PM
heathkit tv

Bobby, I'd caution you not to try turning any more of these sets on unless you're acquainted with soft start procedures using a Variac or the power cord light bulb trick. I'd hate to see any damage occur. Looking forward to seeing a list and pix of the goodies!

Anthony
Audiokarma
Old 02-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Bobby4244

Anthony, advice is good and I am aware of this. I have a metered variac and a home made light bulb set up with isolation transformers. I learned the hard way many years ago. All hell breaks loose from dried out electrolitics etc. But you are correct, Many people unawares just plug the sets in and if it don't work, they leave em on in the hopes that something magical will happen. Usually the power supply transformer gets hot and cook's

Last edited by Bobby4244; 02-23-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:43 AM
heathkit tv

Hi Bobby, just making sure that those sets wouldn't get burned up! Irks the hell out of me when I see some eBay listing that says something about how they plugged it in and got a snap crackle and pop and now it doesn't work....."might be just a fuse" ARGH! LOL

Anthony
Old 02-24-2005, 09:32 AM
Bobby4244

Hi Bobby, just making sure that those sets wouldn't get burned up! Irks the hell out of me when I see some eBay listing that says something about how they plugged it in and got a snap crackle and pop and now it doesn't work....."might be just a fuse" ARGH! LOL

Irks me too, esp. when it is something I wanted.

As far as I remember, the power supplies are all ok on these TV's with the exception of the filters I suppose. When I dig them out I will test again and let ya all know my openion of the electronics condition. (Just the power supply and weather it has raster and audio) the rest, you fix. I got too much to do.