Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 AM
<----Zenith C845

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada AM radio silent; are U.S. stations next?

I just looked at the Canadian radio listings on RadioStationWorld.com and noticed that every one of the AM stations in Halifax, Nova Scotia have gone silent, transferring their programming to FM. I'm wondering if the same thing might eventually happen in the US. With most AM stations in this country now programming talk, sports or religion (there are, however, a few small, low-power music stations left, but they are few and far between these days), I wouldn't be surprised if AM in the US goes completely silent in a few years, with most existing small AMs silencing their over-the-air operations and going to streaming audio over the Internet, if not to FM.

One station near me, a 1kW daytime-only station in rural Geauga County, Ohio, roughly 40 miles east of Cleveland, that had tried four different formats since its initial sign on in 1969 (each of which obviously failed miserably to bring in the listeners, to say nothing of the advertising revenue, the station desperately needed to stay on the air) went silent on Memorial Day about five years ago, and was never heard from again. I knew the station had left the air for good when I tried to call their studio line a few days later; I got a recording from the telephone company stating that the number had been disconnected. I don't know what has happened to the station's studio, transmitter building, etc. since then.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-26-2010 at 02:51 PM.