Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Eric H Please don't scrap your Zenith, someone will eventually come along and get it running for you or buy it.

I'd love to have a look at it but I'm too far away!
Agreed! That sounds like a rare and nice zenith. If I was on the east coast I'd be willing to take it off of your hands. If you take it to the ETF convention in Ohio I'm sure someone(possibly me) will be more than happy to buy it.

Quote:
Tubejunke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M
In my bassackwards mind something has to work before it qualifies to sit on a shelf and go unused for months!

That is exactly the way I am! I (along with most of the women I have dated) have often wondered if it was some kind of mental condition that caused a person to have a drive to repair something just so it can sit on a shelf and get used once or twice a year in order to keep the capacitors in working order. Also, if I get stumped on something I seem to not want it around and the way things are now I am forced to go back in time and scrap it. I used to at least be able to give a TV set to someone, or better yet make a few bucks to make back some of the cost of replacement parts and the value of tubes. After NOT being able to find a loving home for my 1958 24" Zenith Space Command console set, neither for money or for FREE, I am just going to scrap anything that is not simply extremely rare. I had high hopes for the Zenith due to what seems to be a VERY low use chassis and crt and the fact that the 24" tube is not exactly common, nor was remote control at the time.
For me the reason I repair is for the challenge, and that high I get after finding and correcting a really tough bug. that and seeing somethimg over twice as old as me working like new, other things like braging that nearly every thing I own works etc. come second. There are exceptions to the if I can't fix it it gets sold or donated to the local radio club rule. I'll hang on to anything that I like the look of (especially art deco) also coveted sets like any color set that may have originally used a NTSC standard phosphor tube, any TV pre-1950, anything with a remote, any radio with a tube count of 14 or higher and anything that I want to have in my colection that I don't think I'll find again. Case in point I'm using a Philco beam of light (which is out of wack except for the amp) as the head board of my bed. I also have a policy of not parting out anything pre-1970, however I once made one nice radiola model fourty-something out of two messed up ones(forgive me father for I have sinned).

Please do not scrap that Zenith!

Tom C.