Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-30-2004, 07:02 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Question I dream of TVs

I had a wierd dream the other night that I thought you all might enjoy (or use as evidence that I'm nuts).

I dreamt that I found some kind of thrift-store in Detroit that used to be a YMCA building (thus huge and old). In one of the rooms, I found dozens of old TVs, but because I had walked to this store, I couldn't take any of them home with me.

Of particular interest was the Zenith set that I've photoshopped below. It was a roundie that produced an incredible picture when I turned it on. Appearantly, this was some kind of VHF-only hybrid that used only 9 tubes, as the strange emblem proclaimed. It was housed in a rather cheap, all grey metal cabinet.

Naturally when I returned with my truck, all the TVs were gone.

Last edited by Carmine; 06-30-2004 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

There is a thrift store here in Midland that used to be an Elks or Eagles lodge...it still has a hardwood dance floor. Have been in an antique store that used to be a school, in Ohio.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I remember having a dream a few years back that I was a kid visiting New York City in the late '60s w/my parents, & we went down this one street & there were all these shops full of teeny, tiny Tvs, color & B& W. They all wanted to come home w/me, but my old man wouldn't spring for any of 'em. Seems likie they were gonna be dumped in the ocean, if somebody didn't rescue them. Boy, Sigmund would have a field day w/me !! -Sandy G.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:57 AM
jasonlava

I dream of old TVs alot too.

My most recent one was I was at someone's house and they were watching a football game. I looked at the TV and it was some new "black box" tv.

I turned around and looked again and there was what looked like a miniature Motorola Quasar TV, Works in the drawer, withthe UHF buttons, only it looked like it shrunk to a little bitty 12" screen.

I dream alot about my parent's old RCA TV. Also I dream alot about a Zenith from the 70s with the one knob tuning and the sliding volume knob.

Don't get me started on console stereoes, appliances, and falling elevators (that I finally learned how to control in my dreams).
Old 06-30-2004, 12:54 PM
On Land

Carmine,

That's a pretty impressive photo you've put together of that Zenith. They probably should have made one just like it!

Simple constuction... simple design... probably would have out-lasted all of the rest!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Audiokarma
Old 06-30-2004, 10:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, the picture of the "9 tube" is about 9 times better than what I would have created! As a kid I dreamt a few times about a Zenith rectangular color set from the late 60s that was supposed to be in my parent's room. My picture of that set was pretty accurate, but I have no idea where I got it from. I don't recall anyone having any kind of Zenith TV when I was a kid. A few times I've dreamt of holding a crt that was powered up; once dreamt of a desk that had a color console in it, so that the woman sitting at the desk was straddling the crt neck (analyze that one!) and I recall thinking that it would be bad for her health. (honest, thats all I was thinking!) Then there is the dream where there is an outside dump filled with all sorts of stuff, including tv sets, and it develops that it is being constantly replenished with new stock but I can never seem to bring any of it home.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:38 PM
On Land

Now that a few people had fessed up to having dreams about tvs, now I don't feel so bad about admitting to the same thing. I have had a few dreams about my grandmother's old Zenith roundie... in the dream it was working while it was actually not in real life.

My God we're nerds!

Old 07-01-2004, 05:19 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Oh yeah?!? Well, try this one-& tell me I'm not about half nuts...About 15 years ago a buddy & me went to Kingsport & had a big Mexican dinner. Came home went to bed, & had this crazy-ass dream. I was in Pittsburgh airport in 1968. All the taxis were '68 or earlier models, & the women were wearing the short skirts & the guys had skinny ties, etc. Anyhow, everything was green-the walls, floor, even the people had a green cast to 'em. I smelled diesel very strongly. I asked a guard, "Why do I smell diesel?" He looked at me like I was nuts, & says, "This is Pittsburgh Dieselfoot Airport, you dope!" There were all thes bunny rabbits running around & I grabbed one & put him in this file cabinet, which turned out to be an oven & this po'ed the guard, as that was his favorite bunny..Nothing else really happened, no tvs or nothin-except the monitors, & yep, they were green, too. Them Mexicans must have put way too much peyote in whatever I ate.-Sandy G.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:33 AM
jasonlava

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy G
Oh yeah?!? Well, try this one-& tell me I'm not about half nuts...About 15 years ago a buddy & me went to Kingsport & had a big Mexican dinner. Came home went to bed, & had this crazy-ass dream. I was in Pittsburgh airport in 1968. All the taxis were '68 or earlier models, & the women were wearing the short skirts & the guys had skinny ties, etc. Anyhow, everything was green-the walls, floor, even the people had a green cast to 'em. I smelled diesel very strongly. I asked a guard, "Why do I smell diesel?" He looked at me like I was nuts, & says, "This is Pittsburgh Dieselfoot Airport, you dope!" There were all thes bunny rabbits running around & I grabbed one & put him in this file cabinet, which turned out to be an oven & this po'ed the guard, as that was his favorite bunny..Nothing else really happened, no tvs or nothin-except the monitors, & yep, they were green, too. Them Mexicans must have put way too much peyote in whatever I ate.-Sandy G.
That's usually what happens when you sink down alot of MSG. Weird dreams.

Last night I dreamed my dad was listening to his records on a 70s stereo (one of those flat looking ones).
Old 07-02-2004, 12:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jasonlava
[B]That's usually what happens when you sink down alot of MSG. Weird dreams.

I was thinking L.S.D. What is MSG. Does the government give out free doses to see if they can call it medicine like they did L.S.D. Funny how moral and justified certain things are as long as they are regulated by the government. If they find no way to peddle the stuff as some new kind of high priced miracle drug like say Viagara then it becomes bad, wrong, or even worse illegal. Either way they make a lot of $$ off the stuff. Pharmacy or courthouse. Controlled enviornments turning major profit off of YOU......
I better quit before I end up with an Arlo Guthrie song
Audiokarma
Old 07-02-2004, 07:03 AM
jasonlava

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tubejunke
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by jasonlava
That's usually what happens when you sink down alot of MSG. Weird dreams.

I was thinking L.S.D. What is MSG. Does the government give out free doses to see if they can call it medicine like they did L.S.D. Funny how moral and justified certain things are as long as they are regulated by the government. If they find no way to peddle the stuff as some new kind of high priced miracle drug like say Viagara then it becomes bad, wrong, or even worse illegal. Either way they make a lot of $$ off the stuff. Pharmacy or courthouse. Controlled enviornments turning major profit off of YOU......
I better quit before I end up with an Arlo Guthrie song
MSG (monosodium glutamate) is a preservative/flavor enhancer that they put in certain foods like Doritos, chinese food, etc.

It's known to make you have really weird dreams if you eat something with MSG right before bedtime.

By the way, I dreamed about an old TV last night. Couldn't tell what brand but it was old, looked like 70s rectangular. I was cleaning it with Windex.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:19 PM
On Land

MGD does me the same

Old 07-02-2004, 11:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, pretty sure it was the MSG that did it. Most of the time, it just put me "on the go", but this time it gave me a very good ride indeed. I don't remember, but I must have watched "Bullitt" recntly, because most of the airport stuff looked a lot like it did in that movie. Except I had it in my mind I was in Pittsburgh. I have absolutely no idea why. At that point, I'd never been there, & had no desire to go. -Sandy G.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow this is a cool thread. Yeah when you are right into something you even dream about it. Love the Zenith set, kind of reminds me of that 1965 Sony monitor used for the Sony CV-2000 VTR shown on a brochue at Labguysworld video site except not as round.

Anyways as an old VCR/VTR collector I occasionally dream about VCRs particularly of the 1970s Philips N1500 to N1700 VCR format. And also I've dreamt about live scenes of my favourite pop music show "Countdown" particularly of the 1975 era and also dreamt of finding lost footage of that show too.

Getting back on track of the thread, I've dreamt about roundies a couple of times when I was 14 back in 1995 and I only once seen a CT-100 in a book then. Firstly I dreamt of what looked to be a round TV (not sure how round from memory) I think was colour, though only partly exposed in a cabinet (cloth covered the rest) and it had below the speaker grill "Sharp" yet it looked a bit like that Sony monitor for the CV-2000 VTR partly shown here http://www.labguysworld.com/CV-2000_015.jpg except rounder.

Then not so many weeks later I was watching a Freddy Kruger movie at my uncle's which one of the scenes had an early 60s twin speaker roundie (probably a 1962 Zenith or some early 60s RCA CTC set) where one of the guys was on it with an egg saying "this is your brain" hehehe and then Freddy appears on the set in some psychedelic background, later on blood pours out of the set .

Anyways that movie is what got me into roundie colour sets and some months later had a real weird dream of a roundie. Now this was pretty far out, the colour set was not convex roundie, it is how should I say "concave" at the sides, the sides curve in not out !!! how weird is that???

Pretty weird for an Aussie to have dreams about American roundies when only have seen two real examples in media at the time!!!

Anyways thought I'd share that with yous. And lastly I even sometimes for fun when I was 14/15 adjusted my computer monitor to make the sides convex to give it the roundie look hehehehehe.

Cheers
Troy