Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

IF Alignment with a VTVM

I have a early 14 inch RCA (49 /50s) . I replaced some caps in to get it going to triage my futeure work. The service info shows a if alignment uing a signal generator, VTVM and bias source....that's it. Being this is a B&W set could it be a practical simple no frills thing that does the job? A sweep setup let's you everything at once, this is one at a time using a meter. I've pondered this kind of thing in the past but its the first time I've seen it in print.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Ex-Philco

If the set has stagger tuned IFs, you can get pretty close. Traps (minimums) are straight forward. The others will be close enough for consumer products. Follow the instructions closely and start with the traps to get the feel of it. If in doubt, don't adjust it.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:59 PM
RCA 741PCS

VTVM alignment was the norm for early B&W sets and works well. I think every set I've ever worked on had VTVM alignment instructions followed up by a sweep (if available) to double check the response curve.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

OK...I did it

Well, I went and gave it a try. I put a freq counter on my signal generator and followed the directions. The slugs only needed a half turn or less (if at all). There is a noticeable difference in resolution and the sound is clean. There were a couple tube shields missing and it was obvious what a difference they made in the VTVMs reading.
This is turning out to be a fine running set. I struggled with a vertical frequency/ hold issue that turned out to be a mica cap that was skipped during my standard recap. this set is a Bakelite tabletop model, I'll post some pic's soon.

Dave
Old 11-26-2013, 07:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

OK...I did it

Well, I went and gave it a try. I put a freq counter on my signal generator and followed the directions. The slugs only needed a half turn or less (if at all). There is a noticeable difference in resolution and the sound is clean. There were a couple tube shields missing and it was obvious what a difference they made in the VTVMs reading.
This is turning out to be a fine running set. I struggled with a vertical frequency/ hold issue that turned out to be a mica cap that was skipped during my standard recap. this set is a Bakelite tabletop model, I'll post some pic's soon.

Dave

Photos added. I wish I had the channel indicator ring, but it's good to go for now. A special event is in store for this one. In the mean time Happy Thanks giving from South Florida!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0348.jpg (79.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0345.jpg (80.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0360.jpg (55.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0012.jpg (96.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0017.jpg (60.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by 6GH8cowboy; 11-28-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: add pix
Audiokarma