Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't care one bit if anyone thinks my collections are strange. I also have a school bus collection (real buses, not toys) and an electronic organ collection.

Actually I have kept the same set in my living room for a while as my usual TV watching set, it's a metal cabinet 23" Zenith.
I have really got back into working on my sets like the ones in the barn and getting them set up again as for some reason I hadn't worked on them in some time.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

MRX37, that was very funny!

Chad, think schoolbus collecting is awesome if you have the room. Must be really interesting to find an ultra-clean bus with some stories attached, etc
Old 04-08-2008, 11:13 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bassham View Post
Hey Charles! You got one of these??
Not yet, but I know of two of them here in SoCal. One is privately owned, and for sale, but the seller is smoking wackey tobackey and thinks it's worth 25x what it is. The other one is "abandoned" county property, and I'm writing letters about that one . David, owner of that site, has two Chryslers. I've talked with him, and plan to go see those.

They weigh 6000 lbs, so when I finally get one, I plan to retrofit a tandem trailer and permanently mount the siren on it.

Charles
Old 04-08-2008, 11:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Damn, those sirens are massive! Pretty neat hobby too
Old 04-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Mark

I have got to get one of those damn sirens, that is some cool stuff! I love to get up and watch and listen to the emergency siren that is a block away from my house, they test it every last sat. of the month. I wish they'd set it up in my yard! I love loud noise! {my neighbors hate all of those damn Maggie astro-sonics in my garage that I blast at all hours!}
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma
Old 04-08-2008, 10:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

I always invisioned those sirens as being smaller than they are. The fire whistles in our town are up on poles which makes them look like maybe the size of a microwave or something. Then, about 15 years ago, we were asked by a local fire company to give their old unit a coat of paint. This is one of those with maybe 12 horns, double stacked. Pretty big. Within sight of my office, about 1/4 mile, so don't call when there is a fire around town.

(If you really want to make enemies fast in a small town, go to a town meeting and complain about the fire whistle. Volunteer firemen do not take kindly to this kind of talk)
Old 04-09-2008, 01:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Most of mine are just "waiting"..

I have to admit..that the majority of my sets are just "sitting", in the same condition I found them in. I have 3 storage units, and a shed, garage, and several other "stashes" here and there. (My RCA2000 is in the corner of the family room. My 29jc20, 25LC20 combo, and a GE 810, along with a few other sets stashed there, are in the basement--and climate controlled year around).

WHY??

I guess it is now at the point that I feel "obligated" to save ANY old tv I can (such as ANY metal-cabinet set from the '60's, and ANY Zenith chromacolor set or such, and ALL round sets, BW or color,) from the crush of a compactor truck.I have known of WAAAYYYY too many sets meeting their demise that way. So..it is better for them there..than crushed and buried forever.

Part with them??perhaps. MANY of them I acquired with the intention of "passing them along" sometime,to a "good home' where they would be appreciated, or at least, "protected from destruction", BUT NONE of them will just be "tossed". I WILL just "hold them' forever, if need be. One time about 10 years ago, my sister made some DUMB comment about how I "didn't do anything" with my stuff, and talked about just"having a garbage truck take it all away". I told her and MEANT it--that if that ANYTHNG like that EVER happened-SHE would go out with the truck--and not be allowed back here FOREVER!!

One thing I should mention--I read, or heard, SOMEWHERE, that SOMEONE mentioned that soon, someone was trying to propose some kind of "law" that would make it ILLEGAL for us to "collect our treasures(old tv sets and such), saying that they were "hazardous waste" and to FORCE us to turn them over for crushing and "safe disposal". .

I, for one would NOT let go of ANY of my stuff in that situation, without a FIGHT!! If necessary--with lead.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:46 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, you horrible man, what if you DROP one of those awful ol' TeeVees, & all that NOXIOUS GAS gets out ? Hmmm ? And a Precious Children is standing nearby 'n' gets turned into Hamburger by all the flying shards of glass ? You MURDERER, you ! You BUTCHER !! Against poor, helpless l'il chilluns, are you ? Well...We'll see about that...We're gonna LOCK people like YOU up & throw away the Keys ! Bwaaaaaaah !!
Can't you just hear the hysterical biaches now...(Sigh)....
Old 04-09-2008, 11:13 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post

One thing I should mention--I read, or heard, SOMEWHERE, that SOMEONE mentioned that soon, someone was trying to propose some kind of "law" that would make it ILLEGAL for us to "collect our treasures(old tv sets and such), saying that they were "hazardous waste" and to FORCE us to turn them over for crushing and "safe disposal". .

I, for one would NOT let go of ANY of my stuff in that situation, without a FIGHT!! If necessary--with lead.
Food for thought at the polls: While I do have friends who are avid Democrats, I have to warn, that NO law like that would ever come from a Republican. It would come from the likes of Gore or Pelosi. If such a do-gooder, "protect-us-from-ourselves" law comes up, just keep quiet about what you have. I am particularly angry about this subject this morning because yesterday I got a ticket (warning of criminal penalties if repeated), because I threw an old Sparkletts dispenser in the trash. While it had no compressor or freon in it anymore, the trash police saw that it "appeared to be an intact refrigeration device". What a mess we have brewed for ourselves.

Charles
Old 04-09-2008, 12:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm in the same camp as Eric H. and kx250rider. I get the most enjoyment from finding and restoring my old TVs. After that, they only get used from time to time. That may change if I ever finish restoring my RCA CTC-11 color roundie.

As for being forced to turn over your vintage sets for crushing, that sounds like an urban legend. Perhaps you are confusing it with some disposal rules. Around here (Seattle area), you can't throw a junked TV, computer, refrigerator, etc., in the garbage. You have to pay a disposal fee and bring it to a collection point.

I don't have a problem with that. There are lots of things in those devices that shouldn't go into a landfill, and we already have plenty of problems with waste disposal. Much of the garbage from this area is hauled hundreds of miles for disposal in Oregon; think of the fuel cost, for one thing. A few miles from here, the county is building a $1+ billion sewage treatment plant to handle waste from all the exurban development. Instead of processing it as sludge for compost, cleaned water for irrigation (i.e., not drinking), etc., they will build a 13-mile pipeline at immense cost and dump the treated matter into Puget Sound :-(

Phil Nelson
Audiokarma
Old 04-09-2008, 05:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey guys, I know it's tough sometimes, but let's try to keep politics out of the discussion.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 06:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am neither collector nor restorer. I'm just selective of what I throw out. I consider myself a refurbushor and reactivator. At last count, I have the following complete ancient TVs, all acquired from 1947 thru 1964:

RCA KDC 540 10in, converted to 14in rectangle
Pilot TV-37 3in, repackaged to make it smaller
Emerson 28in rear projection, with Norelco 2in Schmidt Optic Box
RCA 21TC55 Merlin, with 21FBP22A in custom mounting.

Of these, only the RCA 21CT55 Merlin is operational, the rest are in deep storage in the garage attic. It is configured as a table-model with vertical chassis. It will remain operational and will reside in my Electronics Lab. Since "the Merlin" is so rare and uses the first and best CTC2 chassis, driveing the last and best 21FBP22A rare-earth "roundy" CRT it deserves special security considerations. It is available for viewing to the general public by appointment only. One element of this security is thumb nailed.

BTW, I also have sirens, two WWII Army from a M33 AAC radar. I bring them up together until they reach full speed beat-note, then kill one and let it coast down a bit, then bring it back up to full speed beat note. Knowledgeable persons say that it is the best simulation of the London sirens since Edward R. Morrow/s CBS Reports.......TomComm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of 176-7629_IMG.JPG (50.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
Most of mine are just "waiting"..

I have to admit..that the majority of my sets are just "sitting", in the same condition I found them in. I have 3 storage units, and a shed, garage, and several other "stashes" here and there. (My RCA2000 is in the corner of the family room. My 29jc20, 25LC20 combo, and a GE 810, along with a few other sets stashed there, are in the basement--and climate controlled year around).

WHY??

I guess it is now at the point that I feel "obligated" to save ANY old tv I can (such as ANY metal-cabinet set from the '60's, and ANY Zenith chromacolor set or such, and ALL round sets, BW or color,) from the crush of a compactor truck.I have known of WAAAYYYY too many sets meeting their demise that way. So..it is better for them there..than crushed and buried forever.

Part with them??perhaps. MANY of them I acquired with the intention of "passing them along" sometime,to a "good home' where they would be appreciated, or at least, "protected from destruction", BUT NONE of them will just be "tossed". I WILL just "hold them' forever, if need be. One time about 10 years ago, my sister made some DUMB comment about how I "didn't do anything" with my stuff, and talked about just"having a garbage truck take it all away". I told her and MEANT it--that if that ANYTHNG like that EVER happened-SHE would go out with the truck--and not be allowed back here FOREVER!!

Yeah, I like the old TV's too, I wish I could have gotten a hold of my grandmother's 17 inch RCA B&W with no UHF tuner (well if I had it, it would be moot since I'd attach one of my Zenith DTV boxes to it) but I never got it even though she promised it to me upon her passing. I remember countless hours of her and myself watching "Chico and the Man," "All in the Family," "Hee-Haw," and "MASH" on it.

I look at it this way, we all have our hobbies, and I like to use the "science fiction rules" of "if you don't 'whiz' on my tree, I won't 'whiz' on yours," like you have various tastes in science fiction ranging from "Star Trek" to "Star Wars," each has it's own fans and flavors.

As to the proposed law, I doubt it is true, can't be 100% certain and I doubt it would pass Constitutional muster if it ever got that far. Then again, you have this push of the Green religion out there (I'm proud to be a heretic to them) so it is best to keep our ears to the ground. I'm with you anyhoo, as the late Charleton Heston said, "from the cold, dead hands." I can see sensible disposal regulations, I mean, who wants to dirty the place up but to tell us to dump our old TV's cars, and so on, as Bug Bunny says, "This means War."

Sometimes I wonder and it makes me shudder that the predictions made in the Mike and the Mechanics 1985 song, "Silent Running/On Dangerous Ground" will come true. I used to have a discussion with another online friend of mine, a fellow role playing gamer, it was one of his favorite songs, about this all the time and we thought it was a strong possibility. Well I'd like his take on that right now but he passed away from cancer a little over a year ago, he was only 35.

Shame about your sister not being supportive of your hobby, I hope she is now, I know in my case, Mom tossed a bunch of old "Creative Computing" and "Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists" mags away, I was upset. I know "Bulletin" did lean to the left a bit politically but they still had some great articles.

Sorry about the politics, guys, I kept it short yet addressed it, unfortunately, politics rears it's ugly head in everything. I just want to be left alone to enjoy my old stuff.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey guys, these are technical forums and while everyone has political opinions let's please not get into them here.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hauris View Post
Hey guys, these are technical forums and while everyone has political opinions let's please not get into them here.
Yeah, sorry about that, I didn't read ahead, usually I don't since I don't want to prejudice my replies. I just want to be left alone to pursue my hobbies nd dreams, tell you the truth, I'm burned out politically. Well, since I blew off some steam, it's time to move on.

BTW, I know it's OT, but left comment on your '78 Merc on You-Tube, nice car. I miss those types of cars, I have a '77 Cougar myself that needs a lot of work. I noticed you're into organs too so I have an old one myself, I'd like to see it get a good home if we can't keep it so I need to ask you a few questions on it. I'll PM you tomorrow, I'd do it now but got to close down, got work tomorrow.
Audiokarma