Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

coaxial connector broke! wheres the positive lead go to??

hello. in trying to fix a television for a friend of mine's dad.
the television is large and heavy made in 1994.
it is a panasonic CT-31s18s.
the broken part is a ENV-568j5g3 (tv tuner)

i was able to safely unsolder and remove it from the board to take a closer look at it..
my friends dad lost the coaxial connector!!! so i dont know exactially where the inner signal lead of the coaxial wire is supposed to run to on the board.

i am hoping to just cut a coaxial wire and run it out the back there. and use a double male sided coax extension thinggy..

while looking at the tv tuner. i can see where it made a clean break and where it was connected to the board..

there is a spot on the board where the solder was and something was pulled through..
only problem is my multimeter is showing that the part labled with the red line. is grounded.. however it does not directly connect to the ground.. it looks like it runs through a inductor and some other small components first,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by aidynphoenix; 12-10-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

bump/// is there any chance of destroying the tv by crossing the ground and signal path's?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:32 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

connecting the hot to ground may damage whatever is connected to the TV's coax. Most television sets have the chassis connected to one side of the AC line. Assuming your house is wired correctly and the polarized plug is not defeated it may not hurt anything, but its a risk you have to decide whether to take.

The smart way about doing this is to either obtain service literature, which will tell you exactly where the part connects to. This assumes that you can read board component and schematic diagrams.

As a general rule, the ground of the coax is almost always connected to the chassis of the tuner. Get the correct connector. You may even be able to get the exact part from someone like andrews electronics or encompass parts. The part number for te connector would be listed in the service manual.

Good luck.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Look for a coax jack taken from some scrap VCR or A-B switch that can be removed and install in the hole that the original was broken out of. The tuner comes from the "cold side" of the board so there is no electrical hazard. The center of the jack is soldered to the point that you hi-lited. The outside on the jack is soldered to the tuner housing. Did many, never a problem.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

I fixed a TV with a busted input by using a male-to-male coax connector that you can buy anywhere, normally used to join two lengths of coax together that have female ends. Mount it in the original hole using two nuts, one inside and one outside. On the inside insert a wire that fits snugly into the center of the connector and with the other end of the wire make your solder joint to the board. Still works great after several years.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Audiokarma
Old 12-10-2010, 02:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

thanks very very much guys!!
im going to try it now..
the only reason i didnt proceed before is because my multimeter was reading the broken solder part as the ground.
but i will hook up a crappy vcr to it just to test it out.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

well it is fixed.
i soldered a small double male sided coax connector to it. and ran a thick copper wire fom the inside of it to that part on the board and it works fine..
the picture quality was bad at first. but i redid the solder connectons and it looks much better now.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 PM
sampson159

did a bizillion of these.there is a connector with long threads in which you can use a washer and a nut on both sides of tuner.use a loop connector on a wire to solder to ground.easy stuff!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've fixed a zillion of these myself. On the newer TV's, these connectors are not attached very well from the factory and all it takes is for one to run with the TV with the cable still connected and you will rip the connector out of the tuner. When I replace the connector, I always solder it in place. That way, it will be much harder to rip out. I've had a few where the tuner was damaged to the point of having to replace it; but, most of them can be fixed if you're patient and watch what you're doing. One of the TV shops loves to get TV's with broken RF connectors because that's usually an easy $75 for him.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

i should of have taken pictures..
i put a thick ring of solder around the new connector..
it looked like a weld.
Audiokarma