Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

very very strange - question involving B&T modulator

With the modulator transmitting on ch2, I'm picking up the audio of a football game on ch3. With the modulator off, or on another channel, I don't get the football game on any channel on the tv.

The same audio of the game is on AM radio, but on the radio it's about a second or so behind what I get on the tv. I'm not picking up the game on any channel on FM radio at all.

And on ch4 on the tv I recieve a pattern of 2 horizontal bars of black, 2 horiz bars of snow, no audio, regardless of what I do with the modulator.

What is going on?
Old 09-25-2010, 02:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

If the game is local, you might be picking up the remote feed between the field and the radio studio. Many of these are in the 160 MHz range (I hear one from a local station on 161.70 MHz). If the signal is strong enough, it could be combining in some way with your modulator to produce the signal that you are hearing on ch 3.
The few seconds delay could be the "obscenity delay"
Just a WAG,
jr
Old 09-25-2010, 06:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm only a few blocks from the stadium, so that makes sense. If it's combining with my ch2, to show up on ch3, then wouldn't it be around 120MHz?

Even though the game is long over, and there's no more audio signal on ch3 like before, I'm still getting that weird video signal on ch4, that must be caused by something else.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm only a few blocks from the stadium, so that makes sense. If it's combining with my ch2, to show up on ch3, then wouldn't it be around 120MHz?

Even though the game is long over, and there's no more audio signal on ch3 like before, I'm still getting that weird video signal on ch4, that must be caused by something else.
I don't know if any "remote" transmitters operate in that range*... I was thinking of something like the second harmonic of your modulator interacting with the remote, to produce the signal on ch 3... would have to know the frequency of the "remote' transmitter to see if that would work out. What are the call letters of the station involved? Perhaps I can look up the license for their remote transmitter on the FCC site.

As far as the bars on ch 4...are you near an airport? Many use a 75 mHz (between ch 4 and ch5) "localizer" signal at the end of the runway. These are usually pretty weak, and I believe they are being phased out, but still a possibility.

Just another WAG,
jr

*This Marti RPU (remote pick up) transmitter, will go down to 135 mHz:
http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=RPT15-2

Last edited by jr_tech; 09-25-2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: add Marti/BSW link