Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Indextrons

Hi Andy, We are getting off topic here, but that was the main problem, the horizontal osc. runs somewhere around 15Kcs to get three full screen sweeps for each frame (I may be off here on the Kcs, my gray matter is not what it used to be ) Lots of leaking caps which led to semiconducter failure, plus active matrix lcd's were coming online.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D
Not all, I have one somewhere that likes to eat it's own horizontal section, and the picture never had that bright, high contrast look of their older, larger 1970's era 5" Trinitrons. I see them on the "We print money" site every couple of months. Going for too much money, the last one I saw was for one that had a white cabinet, said it was for automotive use, and of course "untested" Right.
Richard.
I figured Sony only actually used the Indextron in their Vidimagic 'portable' projection TV. Were there other Sony products (that were actually released) that used the Indextron tube..?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Indextron

Yes, the one I have (somewhere) is a black cube about six inches, direct crt view. I have not played with it in several years, as mentioned even with mil-spec replacement electrolytics it would never work for more than a couple of months with little use. Plus the new active matrix lcd's had a better(slightly) picture.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Horizontal osc in NTSC is 15,750Hz.

Rob

Some people are like Slinkies, not really good for anything. They do bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Audiokarma
Old 02-22-2007, 11:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Doh!

Thank's Rob, I don't know what I was thinking. I better check my medication.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:14 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander
I would need to check the standard again,it has been too long, but IIRC the digital signal is supposed to include the old 4:3 525 line screen image so all the box would have to do is decode a digital signal.

Rob
By general agreement, digital receivers for the US system receive any picture format that is transmitted, from full high-def to standard def, and convert it to the native format of the display. The NTSC converter boxes do/will do the same for conversion to NTSC. This "all-format decode" was not implemented in Europe or anywhere using the DVB standard, so they are now stuck replacing a bunch of gear or duplicating broadcasts in order to start a HD service. A great example of European protectionism for the interests of their large industries, and let the European consumer bear the cost.

The Australian government really screwed it up, when they chose DVB under the false claim that all-format decoders would become available. It never happened, and as a result, they forced simulcasting of analog, digital HD and digital SD of the same program. I don't know if this has actually done anything to promote HDTV in Australia, or just delayed it more.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:46 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

...another step in the A-to-D process:

"[forty dollar] converter coupons will be available beginning this January and they are expected to cover about 60-75 percent of the set-top's cost. Americans will be able to request a coupon via a toll-free number, web site, fax or by regular mail. There will be no income restrictions in applying for the coupons."

It seems even if you have cable or satellite, you're eligible for the handout, at least while the first billion is being dispersed.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello to all,

Richard, Andy, i am also a Sony KVX-370 Indextron collector. One has scan, no reception. The other worked 10 hours, now audio hiss, no scan. I would really like to repair them.

I have a pdf version of the full service manual. Free to anyone who wants it.
(16.2 megs, raw data).

I would like to set up a sort of task group of collectors of the KVX-370 to pool the knowledge and help each other fix his set(s).

Here are pictures of mine on the French vintage TV forum while it still worked.

http://retro-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11652

Any volunteers ?

Best Regards

jhalphen@dial.oleane.com
Old 03-15-2007, 12:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

No 5" indextron here....

BUT I DO have a Vidimagic projo unit.(FP-60,IIRC) last time I tried to "light it off" it worked somewhat well. That menas that it had a pretty dim picture, albeit with decent color and such, and once in a while, would just "shut down" for no reason.

I also have the factory Sony service manual(all 200+ pages of it, in a notebook binder) for my unit!! it explains the BI system pretty well---and in my set00the index control ckty. is VERY basic, using a large number of discrete components and small chips, on a board about 5"by7" or so. The back of the tube glows green from the index phospor. it IS neat to watch in operation!!
Audiokarma
Old 03-15-2007, 09:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut
The Australian government really screwed it up, when they chose DVB under the false claim that all-format decoders would become available. It never happened, and as a result, they forced simulcasting of analog, digital HD and digital SD of the same program. I don't know if this has actually done anything to promote HDTV in Australia, or just delayed it more.
The currently available HD DVB boxes will down convert HD to SD for display on SD analog sets. If these boxes (or at least boxes that could decode HD even if they could only output SD) were available from the start of DVB broadcasting we wouldn't be stuck with triplecasting everything. This doesn't leave enough bandwidth for true HD. At least one channel tries to gain back some bandwidth by reducing the error correction. Its a lose/lose situation as those who've gone HD aren't getting what they paid for and everyone gets glitches when the reception is anything less than perfect.

I grabbed an Thomson SD box when a "faulty" one came my way for $5. It actually does work better than some of the boxes that have been brought in for repair, but I still prefer to watch the analog signal.

The bigger joke is the ads on digital cable for HD. Their signal is SD only and often compressed more than over the air SD. I've seen some programs that look like a dodgy rip downloaded off p2p.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Indextrons

I have a pdf version of the full service manual. Free to anyone who wants it.
(16.2 megs, raw data).

I would like to set up a sort of task group of collectors of the KVX-370 to pool the knowledge and help each other fix his set(s).

Thank you for your offer, I would like to look at your PDF service manual. As you can see from my previous post I need to refresh my memory on these little guys and would and use my set as a test bed and share whatever I find with others.
Thanks,
Richard
Old 03-16-2007, 12:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Convertor Coupons, Vaporware, Free TV and 2009

[QUOTE=Pete Deksnis]"[forty dollar] [I]converter coupons will be available beginning this January and they are expected to cover about 60-75 percent of the set-top's cost. "

The only set top boxes these coupons 'cover' decode ATSC but down convert it to NTSC and output analog stereo sound, composite and S-Video only. No Y, R-Y, B-Y, no 480p, 720p or 1080i, and no 5.1 Ch, SPDIF or TOSLINK. The specs are here:
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/otiahome/dtv...ufacturers.pdf

I have yet to see any of these 'coupon offer' set top boxes for sale anywhere, and from what I have read none are being manufactured yet. They
seem to be vaporware at this point.

Also, it probably is not general knowledge, but there is NO legal requirement for any broadcaster to transmit HDTV signals. The only broadcast required by law is a digital version of the same standard definition signal that the broadcaster is currently sending out in NTSC.

Further, the cable and satellite companies do not want the general public to know about free over the air digital broadcasting because it cuts into their
profits. Some cable companies have even threatened broadcasters with pulling their ads from the station if they promote their free OTA channel number in their broadcasts.

Do any stations anywhere promote their digital TV channels? Not in the Philly area. Most people have no idea what's coming in 2009.

~the Cliff who is saddened by the current state of affairs in broadcasting.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Don't get me started on the idiocy of tv standards in my country .....Australia's switch to digital transmission has been totally stuffed by artificial rules to look after the current networks (who seem strangely to support the current government!!)...funny that .... but then our cable rules are equally dumb ...and there is no HD cable ....and of course hardly any HDTV broadcasting in 1080i...mainly becaus ethe networks want to use the bandwidth to multicast!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Old 03-17-2007, 07:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Richard,

Please give me your E-Mail address so that i can send you the Indextron (KVX-370) pdf manual.

Best Regards

jhalphen at dial dot oleane dot com
Audiokarma