Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Nikko Freako

Book or two for a noob

A friend of mine wants to get into amateur radio and wants me to start up too.

I have looked around the web and there while there is lots of info, most of it might as well be written in Greek. I am going to check into local clubs, but want to get a little background first.

Can someone recommend a book for someone who doesn't know ssb from srw?

Thanks in advance,

dogu

ACHOO!!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Books are okay; The Radio Amateur's Handbook comes to mind.

Better than a book, get a radio and listen to conversations. In particular, 20 meters (14.15 to 14.35 MHz). You will learn a lot, and gain perspective as well. Books don't give you perspective.

You need to know some basic electronics theory, the FCC rules/regulations, and operating procedures and limits.

Check QRZ.com for more information.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

All you would have to do is attend a local ham club and tell them you want to be a hamradio operator. An excellent podcast is hosted by Bob Heil, Et al, on TWiT TV Ham Nation.

http://twit.tv/show/ham-nation/177

Old 01-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Technohippie

I used to teach a licensing course for our radio club, and the text we used was "Amateur Radio License Manual" put out by the ARRL:

http://www.amazon.com/The-ARRL-Radio.../dp/1625950136
Old 01-29-2016, 01:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ham Nation is a good show I watch it.

I would suggest you get copies of the Gordon West series for Technician and General. The CDs are helpful if you like to listen and can learn from a lecture type training.

For me I like to hold and read from a hard copy book.

www.qrz.com has study questions, practice tests etc., for free use. IT would serve you well to go through the modules and once you are able to cycle through each module at 90% or better move onto the next one. Then do testing in set of 5-10 at a run.

Just keep running through the test one after another until you score 90% or better. You get to see all the questions and answers.

I would suggest you do learn theory by reading the books suggested above and other sources already offered but the bottom line is you are test taking a multiple choice test and your focus is passing the test so you main attention should focus on that.

I hold an Extra Class license and am a VE and have been licensed for over 30 years. Lots of changes over those years. When I took my exams we had to send and receive code and at 20 wpm it was a bit of a challenge for the Extra portion of that test especially while a FCC Officer was peering over your shoulder.as if just taking the test wasn't enough hi hi.

Today no code makes it almost a gimme in the testing along with the testing question pool being simplified quite a bit from the days when the Extra Class was quite a bit tougher of an exam than it is today.

Please do try to find an "Elmer" who has experience do some real hands on work to really apply the theory so you don't become an Amateur holding a General or Extra class license but can't even solder a connector on a piece of coax or tell the difference between a diode, transistor or capacitor like some I have met lately. They may have passed the test but in reality they can't operate or know the first thing about application of theory and that my budding Amateurs has really reduced the hobby to appliance operators and disposable gear, it is a bit sad.

Anyway best of luck and you will get through it if you put in a bit if effort.

Hermit
Audiokarma