Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

I wish I was around in the early days of colour, would of been great to experience it and share a story, but I was born in 1981, long after colour was introduced even in Australia so the first colour program I would of seen was whatever was on when I got my first glimpse of the family TV hehehehe.

I will however share a story of my first glimpse of really early colour television footage. Back in late 1990 when the movie Ghost was playing in cinemas everywhere, The Righteous Brothers 1965 hit "Unchained Melody" became a massive hit once again and I often saw the 1965 Andy Williams Show performance of that song played on Rage on a regular basis as the song charted at No.1 here for 7 weeks. Anyways back then I thought the song and the TV performance was brand new, I had NO idea that TV clip was done way back in 1965 until about 2004 when I got a hold of a VHS bootleg copy of various Andy Williams Show artist appearances which included that clip, that was a blowout for me. It can be viewed here on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewO_g...eature=related .

I also will mention my first glimpse of even earlier colour footage was some Osmonds excerpts from The Andy Williams Show 1962-64 which I saw back in 2000 on a Donnie Osmond documentary, that totally blew me out that colour was that good back then and seeing that footage kickstarted my interest in researching and getting a hold of colour television footage from the earliest days of colour and have since accumulated a lot of colour footage from 1958 to 1965 from various sources and have been totally amazed with how good colour was in its earliest years!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

I think it was probably one of the Christmas specials like Rudolph, my aunt had an RCA Vista-Color roundie TV. I was born in 1966 but we did not get color until 1971. I remember later that year the Pittsburgh Pirates won the World Series, I remember seeing that in color.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

First color TV that I saw "working" was in early 1965.
Knew people that had a color TV, but they would not turn it on because it was Sooooo expensive, afraid it would break.

I was watching the wizard of OZ, they said it was in color. The movie started, I start screaming to my Dad that the TV was broken cause the movie was in B&W.
I discovered later the color portion of the movie doesn't start till Dorathy is in her dream.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Outstanding Color

For some reason when someone mentions what stood out as perfect color back then I always think of the KRAFT food commercials; couldn't get much better than that. This during The Perry Como Show as I remember.