Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

In the early days of colour here in Australia (in the mid 70s) I remember speaking with the tv repair man who had worked both in the US and France ... his comments about SECAM mirror the comments above about fine tuning and the colour could drift if the AFT or fine tuning was off.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

My first view of color tv was the first Motorola set in 1955. My dad worked for Motorola as service tech and installed sets in Montgomery, Alabama. His boss received the first Motorola color set for a demo; the guy took it to his home first and invited the employees to come over for a viewing one evening; I'll never forget it was the presentation of "Heidi"; most of the commercials were in color as I remember, one of the car manufacturers was a big sponsor. As a 9 or 10 year old I remember the color as being great, what a change from dull b&w like most everything else was. Also went to their shop some afternoons where my dad let my brother and I watch Howdy Doody in color, what a treat that was. All this fostered my early interest in this stuff.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just as a point of interest. The color special "Heidi" you watched on your presumably 19" Motorola color set was telecast on Oct. 1, 1955 on NBC. The show starred Natalie Wood and Wally Cox.

-Steve D.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Good day Gentlemen,

Answers to some of your questions concerning SECAM. I live in Paris, France and receive it daily.

Analogue SECAM over the air transmissions will continue until 2012, our planned cut-off date. Transmissions are all in the UHF Bands IV & V, positive video modulation, AM mono sound + NICAM 728 digital stereo audio. NICAM is the same as pioneered by the BBC, but with a subcarrier adapted to the French L transmission standard (5.85 MHz, from memory).

In the meantime, all OTH programs are being duplicated with the DVB-T (Digital Video Broadcast-Terrestrial) system which is a pan-European standard. The transmitters are co-sited with their analogue counterparts and use the adjacent UHF channel run at -10 -15dB below the analogue power output. SD 625 video uses MPEG-2 encoding and terrestrial HD (1080i/50), due to start in early 2009 uses MPEG-4. Currently in Paris for instance, there are 18 Free-to-Air SD programs + another 8 which are encrypted and need a subscription & smart-card.

There was much debate over the MPEG-2/MPEG-4 issue. French broadcasters & set top box manufacturers urged the government to delay DVB-T until dual-standard IC decoder chips were available. As the opening of service was already 2 years behind schedule, the government said "No" and went ahead with SD/MPEG-2 service in April of 2005. Currently, about 70% of the population can receive DVB-T.

SECAM VHS recording:
Few people know this, but JVC adopted 2 entirely different schemes to record SECAM. The standard known as ME (Middle-East) SECAM records the color signal like a PAL VHS machine i.e. heterodyning the subcarrier frequency down to 629 KHz then correcting the unstable playback subcarrier upon playback with the machine's mechanical error speed variations to achieve a stable subcarrier. In the 1970s, this was the only way to achieve the high precision required of the chroma frequency without having a very expensive digital time base corrector.

ME-SECAM is used in the Middle-East, French overseas territories (Tahiti, island of the Reunion, Antilles, Guadeloupe, etc.). all these locations use OTH SECAM with negative video modulation and FM sound and are therefore very close to PAL B/G transmission standards.

For France, JVC decided to simply divide by 4 the 4.43 SECAM subcarriers (4.43 being approx the average between the 4.406 and 4.25 MHz SECAM subcarriers). Upon playback, the off tape 1.1 MHz chroma is simply multiplied back to 4.4 MHz. The beauty of SECAM on a VCR is that being FM modulation, it couldn't care less about mechanical instabilities. This is why AMPEX had great success selling industrial grade VTRs to French TV in the late 70s, because the machines had enough bandwith to record the chroma subcarrier directly and did not require a TBC to achieve color.
By then, the first 1" broadcast machines were appearing (AMPEX VPR-1 type A, then type C Ampex VPR-2, Sony BVH-1100,...) with 100K$ price tags! you could get 4-5 industrial machines for the same price...

The pictures shown by Eckard are not typical of off tape VHS SECAM. I have recorded over 800 tapes since 1977, and would never have put up with this type of defect on my movies!
I would say that this defect can show up with 1) excessive input luminance on the recorded signal, b) no 75 Ohm termination on the recorded or output video, 3)worn-out heads. Off course, playing color bars from a test tape on a waveform monitor would tell us more...

SECAM or PAL:
Very early on (late 60s) the French discovered that SECAM was a real PIA in production, especially in switchers (Vision Mixers for our UK readers). If you want to do a simple fade-to-black, you can't simply reduce the signal's amplitude as the FM chroma subcarriers remain at constant level, so for instance, the anchorman's (woman) face will get redder & redder as the Y signal diminishes and the chroma content increases relatively.
So, you must decode the SECAM into Y, R-Y & B-Y and attenuate all 3 signals at the same time, then re-encode into composite SECAM. In a nutshell, this means a lot of additional circuitry + unacceptable degradations from cumulative encode/decode processing.
So, very early on, PAL switchers were used, along with PAL cameras and VTRs and SECAM was only used for transmission by transcoding from PAL to SECAM the production chain's output.

PAL was adopted in production by private production houses & networks, however French state TV lingered on with SECAM for a while for political reasons, as this was still the "official" system adopted by France.
*FYI private TV networks did not appear in France until 1984. Before that, all Radio/TV on French soil was government controlled.

Many people in the French production industry were not satisfied with PAL. Although much more convenient than SECAM, it had its own set of quirks, for instance very difficult editing without horizontal "picture hops" at the edit point. Inquiry into this matter revealed the necessity for high stability Sync-to-H in the PAL subcarrier which in those days meant buying à 40K$ Tektronix Master SPG.

France therefore pioneered work in component analogue video in the late 80s, and coaxed suppliers such as GVG & Ampex to bring out component video products. This was a particularly enticing proposition as Betacam, then Betacam-SP were component recording formats, so a full component chain could be maintained from camera to master tape. Then component digital came along and the rest is history.

I hope i haven't bored you too much with this long post,

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France
Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Thanks for the lengthy explanation!
Audiokarma
Old 08-07-2008, 10:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Eckhard,
Were the fires caused by the flyback? I look forward to more details!
Old 08-08-2008, 05:12 AM
VK Member

bgadow, the fires were caused by bad shunt regulator design. The shunt regulator control currents failed and with them the E.H.T. climbed up to 40 or 50 KV. This high voltage generated arcing, fire and even damage of the crt, which implodes. The tv technicians are advised to withhold the sets when they came into the repair shop in the 1980s, and not to return them to their owners. This is the reason why only a few of these sets survived.

- Eckhard
Old 08-10-2008, 08:28 AM
AK Member

Hello all, thank you for the interesting information! Has anyone heard about the gimmick people used back "then" to make the BW TVs look like they had color? Mom recalls a cellophane (?) material with blue on top and green on the bottom that you could put on the screen to alter the picture color. I know that is lame but I think color tvs were still a "luxury" even if you could afford to buy one (here in the conservative midwest that is).

As kids (late 1960s), when we actually had our 3 color tv sets stacked on top of each other ("field testing" dad said) we would have alot of fun turning the picture from green to red to light to dark to verticle hold or not! The TVs were on "loan". I began to love electronics because we were allowed to play with the sets at a young age. Nothing ever broke so bad that it couldn't be fixed. Thanks Dad!!! I just wish I were better at math.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:16 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Here's one of those filter sheets at the Early Television Museum:
http://www.earlytelevision.org/color_filter.html
Old 08-11-2008, 01:23 AM
que trabaja pierde tiempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagosaga View Post
Hi, this is really interesting! which channels do you watch in color before 1977?

Was this a commercial PAL set, U.S. export, or did somebody modified a NTSC set for PAL broadcasts?

Eckhard
in Italy since 1974 could receive the broadcasts in color from Switzerland and Koper with dns PAL, by France and the Principality of Monaco in SECAM, and therefore easy to find equipment color system Multistandard. (PAL-SECAM) zenith, as I know, send the individual components in Italy to the Electronics Montagni Florence. Here were reassembled with the circuit suitable for receiving PAL programs. but I, in the Company Montagni (which inter alia provided to spread the TV signals of IST Switzerland Telecapodistria ANTENNE2 and TMC) I have seen some with SECAM system for the control signals ANTENNAS 2 and TMC.

<<Since the'70s the entrepreneur Mauro Montagni decided to put himself against the idea of monopoly, the occasion was for the World Cup played in Mexico, he captando from Mount Secchieta signal A2 from Corsica did other repeat that amplified through an apparatus autocostruito, the city of Florence. On 10 August 1970 could see some Florentine football matches of the World Organization for the first time in color, and for the first time ever not in connection with a broadcaster of State, the same place of Mauro Montagni company was transformed provisionally into a hall to watch the games in color. Only after the heavy defeat in the final 4 to 1 with Brazil the Judiciary intervened against contractor had infringed because a law of 1938 that forbade anyone to make radio without prior authorization from the Minister of Posts. The same Montagni recalls, with much regret, that to see the matches in color at his company were the Mayor of Florence, the Prefect and also the director of RAI Florence. <<Tutti To tifare as amiconi old data; pity that they finished the World Cup I denunciarono>>. A lawsuit that Mauro Montagni lost, but at a distance of more than thirty years can proudly claim to have won and quest'episodio gave way to long and arduous struggle for the spread of private television over the air in Italy.>>
<<In Italy are beginning to receive foreign television signals as: TV ITALIAN SWISS (IST) from the Canton Ticino, TELEMONTECARLO (TMC) from the Principality of Monaco that radiates the first transmission to Italy on 5 August 1974 by the 'Industrial Marcucci who install a repeater on Mount Pizzorne in Lucca, KOPER KOPER TV station upstream Nanos in Yugoslavia and ANTENNAS 2 (A2) from France. The latter, so that the signal was received well throughout the central and northern peninsula, demonstrating the superiority of television system colors French had stipulated by the company INTERSECAM, a costly maintenance contract with the Florentine businessman to Montagni which were provided all the equipment necessary radio frequency. The bridgehead from which captava signal A2 was the upstream Secchieta single point from which "saw" the transmitter French Bastia in Corsica. As a week to week, however, stretches the chain of repeaters installed by private captavano dall'etere signals audio-video foreign broadcasters and ritrasmettevano amplified to the towns.
The business was undoubtedly enormous because this will installavano on the roofs of several houses reception facilities of the Fifth banda (this banda frequency was one that had the largest number of channels available from 21 to 68) and incrementava the sale of television receivers polychrome since these TV stations sent by time, regular programmes in colour, otherwise not explain, for example, spending 200 million (1977) by the manager John Del Piano of the repetition of TV signals SWITZERLAND , KOPER KOPER and TELEMONTECARLO on Mount Guadagnolo at Palestrina near Rome. Note that the spread of signals in the south of Italy had life even more difficult for the clear opposition of the Mafia that inexorably destroyed the positions repeaters than anyone had passed.>>
Excerpt from thesis of Dr. Menichini Fernando
Audiokarma
Old 08-11-2008, 01:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I made the transition from radio in the late '40's early '50's to black & white TV in the '50's. Now THAT was a REAL change. Radio with pictures!

Reece

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:14 PM
VK Member

Hi,

here are some photos from the Sovjet Rubin color tv set, introduced in 1967:

http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...BG_flyback.jpg
http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...G_vertical.jpg
http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...1BG_signal.jpg
http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...01BG_front.jpg
http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...401BG_back.jpg
http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...BG_neckCRT.jpg

More will be reported on an extra web page about this set.

Kind regards.
Eckhard
Old 08-17-2008, 10:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagosaga View Post
BTW: color television was introduced in 1969 in East Germany. I have seen there the "Raduga" (= rainbow) color tv receiver, a sovjet brand with a shunt reguator. High voltage regulation was incorrectly, and reached more than 45,000 volts in case of failures. So many of these sets burned. Therefore they were usually called the "fire bombs". Today I know that the first Raduga was a roundie too: http://www.telesputnik.ru/archive/all/n09/54.htmlEckhard
The early Raduga pictured near the bottom of the article is a field sequential
color set from 1953. More about it on the ETF website here:
http://www.earlytelevision.org/raguda.html
Old 08-18-2008, 11:45 PM
I love old stuff

jhalphen: do you have any pic with early French color tv sets? When the last hybrid tv sets where made in France?

yagosaga: from where did you get that old "Rubin" Soviet color tv set? I tryed to find hybrid (not necesearly Soviet made) color tv sets, and I always found about people who had them after those people dumped them The only color hybrid that I could find was an "Normende" ColorPrasident, but I couldn't radjust the color at the Delta tube.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:01 AM
I love old stuff

Here, in Romania, they intended to introduce color television since the '70's. But due to pollitical reasons and the P.A.L. vs SECAM battle (all of the countryes in Eastern Europe, except former Yugoslavia used SECAM) we had color televison only in 1983. There where 2 reasons for introducing P.A.L. system in stad of SECAM:
1) Since SECAM was introduced by Soviet Union, by introducing P.A.L. Ceauşescu had one more reason to be anti-Soviet
2) West-Germany sayed that it'll reduce Romania forgein debt if we introduce P.A.L. (this may be true, since some one talled me that the 1st color televison cameras in Romania where "Bosch")

The 1st "Romanian" color tv set was Telecolor 3006 made by "Electronica" Plant from Bucharest. The 2nd was Telecolor 3007. Don't know what the difference between the 2 was. I sayed they where "Romanian" because most of the components where foreign made (most of the semiconductors where made in East-Germany, the picture tube where either: "Unitra" - Poland, "Videocolor" - Italy or "Toshiba" - Japan - these where 2nd qualty - special for Romania). The sets could work both in P.A.L. and SECAM. Since in the '80's from modnay to friday the Romanian televison broadcasted only 2 hours (later 3) - because of "comrades, make electricity economy!" + Ceauşescu alway apeared on tv - Romanaian watch forgein televisions. In Bucharest, people watch Bulgarian television; in Moldavia they watch even Soviet televison!
The price of an color tv was from 15,000 lei up to 17,000 lei (a sallary was then around 1,500-4,000 lei; bigger for other people, like those working for the secret police). Hoewer Romanians where mad to get them a color tv set
The "Telecolor" 3006 & 3007 wheren't the only color tv's salled on the Romanian market. Later version of Telecolor where made. For eg the 4.... had V.C.R. input via the same D.I.N. socket used for audio tape output (at the 3007 that socket was used only for audio output). Later camed the 5601, 5602 and 5603. This where the worsest Telecolors. They had an awfoul new programmer, the latest bad Romanian electronic components (in the '80's Romanian made electronic components becamed worser and worser)...
Other tv sets where the Cromatic (also asambled by "Electronica), and the Soviet "Elcrom" and "Alfa" (which where fitted by "Electonica" with P.A.L. - SECAM converter). With all the big prices of the color tv's, Romanians sometimes waited even 2-3 yrs. to get theyr hands on a color tv set. You couldn't test the tv before buying it. If it worked fine; if not, fine too. In 1989 about 10% of the Romanians got an color tv.
Some one talled me a story: Romanians tryed to manufacter color C.R.T'... The first one had an b & w image; the 2nd one just few colors; the 3rd one just blow up!
Audiokarma